John Groce at Illinois

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,851      
When you look at the recent track record of the university, it would be unwise to conduct a coaching search until we get on a little better footing. We struck out on 1st and 2nd choices for our last football hire, our last basketball hire, and even our new A.D..
Whitman needs time to unveil his vision for the sports programs at U of I so that potential coaching candidates will know what kind of boss they would be working for. As it stands now, the Illini basketball job does not appear to be the top tier job that it once was perceived as. The image needs to be polished before it is put on the open market. Whitman also should be given time to objectively look at our basketball program and decide what kind of coach he needs to go after. If Groce is let go, I think the last thing we would want would be a hire in haste.

I have always been a big believer of the potential of the basketball program and have stated that multiple times. And I like the Whitman hire. But the image of the basketball program will not change just because we hired a new AD. The only way the image of the basketball program changes is if we start winning consistently, and if that happens, you obviously do not need to conduct a coaching search. Whitman is a young AD who I think has potential. But he is not a magician.

#1,852      
I meant firmer footing to do a coaching search.

If Groce lands a solid 2017 class and makes the tourney next year then I think he'll keep the job. I'm just not completely sold that he'll get the chance to do so.

If Black is off the team, we'll have two open spots for next year and 4 for the next, and that's without any other changes that may happen. I am extremely curious to what the team will look like even for next year. If the AD's plan is to retain Groce I hope he is vocally suportive so that recruiting can go up a notch.

#1,855      

hooraybeer

Pittsburgh, PA
one way or another I believe that JG's future here may be directly tied to LB at this point

#1,859      

Deleted member 526137

D
It's voting season. When does the should John Groce stay or go poll start?

#1,861      
The legal process will not make it that far.

Why not? If he's going to plead down for a deal or enter some pretrial diversion-type program, that wouldn't formally happen until the next court date.

Well, I guess it COULD, if they could get both parties and a judge together to take care of it, but that would be out of the ordinary.

#1,864      
Please forgive me if anyone has asked this already, but does anyone think that Jeff Hornacek would ever want to coach Illinois? He interviewed for the Bulls job in 2008, went to Lyons Township and likely has enough credibility to get in on the 2017 recruiting class.

#1,865      
Please forgive me if anyone has asked this already, but does anyone think that Jeff Hornacek would ever want to coach Illinois? He interviewed for the Bulls job in 2008, went to Lyons Township and likely has enough credibility to get in on the 2017 recruiting class.

Who the heck knows if he wants a college job, but he has connections to both Colangelo and DWill.

#1,866      

icengineer

Southern Illinois

Hornacek always reminded me of Alfalfa. :D

#1,868      
Let's just do it and throw $10 million at Calipari... He'd fill a roster with AA's, we'd fill the SFC, we'd win and we'd be back to the early 2000's... Money talks, we just never make it public that we're willing to pay top dollar.

#1,869      
Let's just do it and throw $10 million at Calipari... He'd fill a roster with AA's, we'd fill the SFC, we'd win and we'd be back to the early 2000's... Money talks, we just never make it public that we're willing to pay top dollar.

It's one thing to spend money, it's another thing to pay your coach $10 million....

Stay delusional, it seems fun.

#1,873      
I do keep coming back to this article about Alabama and Coach Saban's salary... While he's very well paid, the return on the investment is off the charts, for the entire betterment of the University, not just athletics...

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/sec/2010-01-03-alabama-nick-saban_N.htm

Maybe Calipari isn't attainable, but there are coaches that are motivated by money. Much more than the measly $1.7M salary of Groce. If I had time, I'd research all of the B1G salaries, but willing to guess we're in the bottom third. Which is ironically, where our performance and records align.

#1,874      
We obviously offered more to Smart and Stevens, but they turned us down. Maybe it wasn't enough to get them over and that could be a valid discussion.

But we're paying Groce less money because he has yet to still prove himself. If we got a big name guy with a track record we would be paying him more than what we pay Groce. The up and comers would need to earn the bigger paycheck.

#1,875      
Quick fun fact: assuming Groce stays (or even likely if he doesn't), this next school year will be the first time in Illinois history that the basketball coach makes more than the football coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.