Kahlil Whitney leaving Kentucky

Deleted member 8896

D
Irrelevant now. Some team will put Whitney on their G League team and he'll have time to improve, no different than college.
G League players would eat him alive. Look at the rosters and see the names on there. He would have to really improve to play at that level.

Not surprising, but someone I was listening to today said all indications are Whitney plans to go pro. (Probably because this board doesn‘t think we can use him. 😉)

it’s honestly the only route that makes sense. Going to school basically means committing to two more years of college basketball.

G League players would eat him alive. Look at the rosters and see the names on there. He would have to really improve to play at that level.
I feel for the kid. He messed up choosing Kentucky. So many young players think they are one n done or better than they really are. It is unfair he has to sit a year and cant be recruited and play next season when coaches jump ship like uts nothing. College would be a better place for a teen ager to develop and grow both on and off the court but with having to sit a year he isnt allowed that option that's imo is best for him to CV ome to illinois or elsewhere with sitting a year

IlliniKat91

Chicago, IL
I mean I feel like KW can just claim some excuse and get a waiver like the MS did leaving us

Doesn't the school need to sign off on that? I'm pretty sure our staff wrote a letter in support of the MA waiver at the very least.

If your not a true one and done your screwed at Kentucky and Duke. Best to have an option at year 2 while getting alot of experience year 1. Similiar to what Kofi and Ayo are doing. At the other two schools you have another top 1-10 player coming in looking to take your minutes.

Deleted member 17568

D

It doesn't mean some team won't take a chance on him. And if not, he'll go play in Europe. Transferring to another college doesn't make much sense.

What is he going to do in life when he passes up free education and doesn't make it as a pro?
That is another reason why choosing the right place when you are being recruited is so important. I wonder in the recruiting process how honest coaches like coach Cal or Bruce Pearl that are clearly great recruiters (even though i despise them) are with young 18 year old kids and their parents. Do they tell them they are all going to be one and dones? Or do they say you will likely have to work on your perimeter game and battle for meaningful minutes? Where do the ethics of being honest with players and where what coaches vision or role may be for a recruit in year one, two, three or do they just tell them what they want to hear and just want a solid bench player as a back up so they can keep cashing their million dollar pay checks. Because thee kids dont go to Kentucky to be back ups! To me choosing a school for these recruits may end up being one of the biggest decisions and could impact them for the rest of tei lives.

You can always go back to school, even if the tuition isn't covered. The opportunity to play professionally is much more time-limited.

Or if he’s smart and plays nice with others he could land a job through one of the many NBA contacts that he would develop where having a degree isn’t important but he could still make $75-100k per year for his knowledge of the game and connections.

I still don’t understand why he didn’t just finish out the year and then go pro. Better than working out on your own.
Even if he gets drafted, will probably be sent to g league/ Europe for development for a few years. Only drafted for rights and hope he develops. Similar to Illini plan...see if he pans out in a couple of years.

the national

the Front Range
The situation with KW makes me appreciate AYO even more. He took a less sexy path to success and it seems to be working for him. That’s hard when the big boys flash these wonderful pictures of your future which don’t always pan out.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
I still don’t understand why he didn’t just finish out the year and then go pro. Better than working out on your own.
Even if he gets drafted, will probably be sent to g league/ Europe for development for a few years. Only drafted for rights and hope he develops. Similar to Illini plan...see if he pans out in a couple of years.

Probably bolted for his mental health. Saw his dream plan blown up, pretty hard to swallow. But, yeah, from a rational standpoint, he would've served himself better sticking out the season with UK and battling hard in practice.

Not sure why this thread is getting so much traffic...BL, he should have come to Illinois this year and he would have had opportunity to play and develop. He's working out a plan B and I hope it pays off for him.