Kahlil Whitney leaving Kentucky

Not sure why this thread is getting so much traffic...BL, he should have come to Illinois this year and he would have had opportunity to play and develop. He's working out a plan B and I hope it pays off for him.
Maybe. But he also might have been a Sam Thompson type of player. Good athlete, but not a ton more going for him. Nice addition to a team but too many missing pieces to go a long way.

Best of luck. He's got a long way to go to convince people.

sacraig

The desert
Maybe. But he also might have been a Sam Thompson type of player. Good athlete, but not a ton more going for him. Nice addition to a team but too many missing pieces to go a long way.

Best of luck. He's got a long way to go to convince people.

You can teach shooting. You can't teach freak athleticism.

The idea that he is a good athlete with nothing else going for him is just so absurd. Every single one of us would have pooped a brick if he had chosen Illinois instead of Kentucky, but because he chose Kentucky, suddenly he is just a one-dimensional athlete? Give me a break.

You can teach shooting. You can't teach freak athleticism.

The idea that he is a good athlete with nothing else going for him is just so absurd. Every single one of us would have pooped a brick if he had chosen Illinois instead of Kentucky, but because he chose Kentucky, suddenly he is just a one-dimensional athlete? Give me a break.
It's not because he chose Kentucky.

It's because in his last 8 games at Kentucky he scored a total of 5 points. If you believe that professional scouts aren't factoring in his actual performance when deterimining his potential you're crazy.

I was thrilled when we got Alex Legion. But guess what, it didn't work out. He's one in a long line of guys with "potential" who didn't live up to it.

I've got nothing against Whitney. Actually, I hope he succeeds. But his time at Kentucky suggests that are red flags in his game that are going to hurt his draft status. But he's got lots of time to wow the scouts, so perhaps it was just circumstances and not actual ability that held him back.

It's because in his last 8 games at Kentucky he scored a total of 5 points. If you believe that professional scouts aren't factoring in his actual performance when deterimining his potential you're crazy.

I was thrilled when we got Alex Legion. But guess what, it didn't work out. He's one in a long line of guys with "potential" who didn't live up to it.

I've got nothing against Whitney. Actually, I hope he succeeds. But his time at Kentucky suggests that are red flags in his game that are going to hurt his draft status. But he's got lots of time to wow the scouts, so perhaps it was just circumstances and not actual ability that held him back.

Whitney hasn't lived up to 1 and done expectations...but very few freshman are 1 & done, more often than not freshman take a year or two. We have maybe 4 guys on our roster that clearly had better freshman years than Whitney (Trent, Ayo, Giorgi, & Kofi), do you evaluate Alan on his freshman year...this doesn't make KW a long term bust.

We've had bad transfers (Legion), very good transfers (Battle/Norman) and everything in between. He may or may not work out...but I bet the staff would take him in a heartbeat & the fact we took both Hutcherson/Grandison this year suggests the staff is certainly open to transfers.

Whitney hasn't lived up to 1 and done expectations...but very few freshman are 1 & done, more often than not freshman take a year or two. We have maybe 4 guys on our roster that clearly had better freshman years than Whitney (Trent, Ayo, Giorgi, & Kofi), do you evaluate Alan on his freshman year...this doesn't make KW a long term bust.

We've had bad transfers (Legion), very good transfers (Battle/Norman) and everything in between. He may or may not work out...but I bet the staff would take him in a heartbeat & the fact we took both Hutcherson/Grandison this year suggests the staff is certainly open to transfers.
As I've said, if the staff wants him, I want him.

As to the NBA, your point is actually spot on. The evaluations in year one can change. But after year one, that's what you're stuck with. Your high school potential is going to be offset by your actual performance.

Of course, the opposite can and does happen. Jared Sullinger might have been a top 5 pick, stayed an extra year and dropped to the 20s.

I don't know how many of the people who are so high on Whitney are also in the "pay no attention to the stars" camp as well. Perhaps there's no overlap.

KW's problem is that it's a net zero game. There's only so many spots open in the draft and in rosters. He's not the only guy with potential but he's likely got the worst stats of anyone he's going up against for a contract.

KW's problem is that it's a net zero game. There's only so many spots open in the draft and in rosters. He's not the only guy with potential but he's likely got the worst stats of anyone he's going up against for a contract.
I'm not advocating the NBA for KW...if he gets feedback that someone is going to take a flyer on him & there is a good path for him sure; but I have my doubts for the same reasons you highlighted. I'm sure he can carve out a career in Europe, but my thought is he needs to come back to college, work his butt off, improve, and show he is a no doubt NBA talent. But don't throw him in an Alex Legion category, just because he is a Kentucky transfer. With the right attitude and work ethic he will turn another couple years in college into an NBA career, straight to the NBA and it will be easy to get lost.

But we should take him everyday & twice on Sundays if given the chance.

sacraig

The desert

I never said anything about Kentucky specifically causing fans to act like that. Perhaps I should have said "because he chose someone else instead of Illinois" to be clearer.

I take issue with people who seem to think if you don't thrive in year 1 then somehow you are doomed to failure. I take issue with people who think that just because a freshman doesn't produce as an NBA level in year 1, that somehow erases all of the potential they have. In fact, this is precisely the role of coaching: taking potential and turning it into results. For a guy with an upside as high as Whitney, sometimes all it takes is a different coaching approach. Sometimes it fails. Either way, acting like he is somehow spoiled goods at this point is ridiculous.

I never said anything about Kentucky specifically causing fans to act like that. Perhaps I should have said "because he chose someone else instead of Illinois" to be clearer.

I take issue with people who seem to think if you don't thrive in year 1 then somehow you are doomed to failure. I take issue with people who think that just because a freshman doesn't produce as an NBA level in year 1, that somehow erases all of the potential they have. In fact, this is precisely the role of coaching: taking potential and turning it into results. For a guy with an upside as high as Whitney, sometimes all it takes is a different coaching approach. Sometimes it fails. Either way, acting like he is somehow spoiled goods at this point is ridiculous.
I don't think I've read that from anyone. What I seem to hear is the idea that what he's done at Kentucky is largely irrelevant and the potential he showed in high school is going to drive either the college offers he gets or his draft status. I think that's probably not accurate.

No one is saying that this "erases all the potential" just that our judgement of his potential is now going to be different.

No one is saying he's "doomed to failure" but rather perhaps the expectations for his future career are less than we thought a year ago.

Just where do you see him in ending up in the draft if he goes this year?

sacraig

The desert
I don't think I've read that from anyone. What I seem to hear is the idea that what he's done at Kentucky is largely irrelevant and the potential he showed in high school is going to drive either the college offers he gets or his draft status. I think that's probably not accurate.

No one is saying that this "erases all the potential" just that our judgement of his potential is now going to be different.

No one is saying he's "doomed to failure" but rather perhaps the expectations for his future career are less than we thought a year ago.

You must not have read the thread. There are a lot of "no thanks" posts based entirely on his freshman year at another school with somewhat limited playing time.

I won't pretend to know anything about NBA scouting or where he would go in the draft. I sort of assumed he would go pro overseas for a year and cash a paycheck while working his way back to the NBA, but who really knows?

If I were him I would look at my potential playing time. I would be competing with Alan, Tevian, Grandison, and Hutcherson as seniors (assuming I sit out one year). Could be a tough road and pretty sure I could find a better fit.

He is leaning towards NBA now per 24/7 website from 3 days ago. I actually don't think he has done anything to hurt his NBA draft status overall. I mean he would have had to combine it last year, still will this year, regardless of metrics, he would have primarily been drafted on potential last year, he again (if) will be drafted on this status this year.

Whitney is an athlete, he possess' a less than lethal outside game, but is uber talented open floor and slashing. He will get a check, he will not have to attend class, and even if he goes to lesser league initially, he can still say he got the league and be able to help his family and learn how to shoot!

You must not have read the thread. There are a lot of "no thanks" posts based entirely on his freshman year at another school with somewhat limited playing time.

I won't pretend to know anything about NBA scouting or where he would go in the draft. I sort of assumed he would go pro overseas for a year and cash a paycheck while working his way back to the NBA, but who really knows?
Just because people say No Thanks, doesn't mean they think he has no potential or he's doomed. Some people, including me, are not real high on transfers. I'd like to see guys come in as freshmen and grow. So you'll have noticed I expressed a lack of optimism about the two guys waiting to play.

And of course some people think that with two top 50 players in Curbelo and Miller that perhaps there's another one that we can snag instead of Whitney who at this point is a question mark even if people want to gloss over it.

A week into this we're hearing no college rumors that I know of so it seems to be a moot point.

He is leaning towards NBA now per 24/7 website from 3 days ago. I actually don't think he has done anything to hurt his NBA draft status overall. I mean he would have had to combine it last year, still will this year, regardless of metrics, he would have primarily been drafted on potential last year, he again (if) will be drafted on this status this year.

Whitney is an athlete, he possess' a less than lethal outside game, but is uber talented open floor and slashing. He will get a check, he will not have to attend class, and even if he goes to lesser league initially, he can still say he got the league and be able to help his family and learn how to shoot!
You really don't think his draft status has fallen? Not sure if anyone had him as a 1st rounder going into the season, but I certainly thought the common expectation would be that he'd leave early and go in the first round..

You really don't think his draft status has fallen? Not sure if anyone had him as a 1st rounder going into the season, but I certainly thought the common expectation would be that he'd leave early and go in the first round..

I think the Whitney camp was telling him he could be a one and done, I don't think anyone actually thought he would be before going to college?

He literally skyrocketed on potential and play from junior to committing to UK. There was alot of draft hype and if the one and done was not there, he would have been more than likely lottery to mid/late 1st round. However, he has always been projected based on primarily potential alone due to his relative metoric rise up the rankings overall.

1st/early 2nd is where he would have went with a good year with UK, has it is, bad fit, not interested in school, I think he still wows them at the combine and makes a paycheck.

Some people, including me, are not real high on transfers. I'd like to see guys come in as freshmen and grow. So you'll have noticed I expressed a lack of optimism about the two guys waiting to play.
If you are for growth, you should be for a redshirt year, and the best way to get a redshirt year right now is to accept a transfer. No student/athlete wants to make that sacrifice (sitting a year) without extenuating circumstances, and transfers mean not having to persuade them. (Grad transfers obviously excepted, and they are more about gap filling anyway so you hope not to have to rely on them...)
We had middling luck with transfers during the Groce era, but i think that went hand in hand with our middling player development. I think Underwood's regime is showing that they are a step up in development, and as the players on the court continue to improve, so will the players off the court. I am not high on the guys we have waiting (nor down on them!), but i am confident that they are improving, and getting experience in a winning locker room this year, and that will count for something next year.

Flight#33

Flight#33
Patience is a virtue.
The young man will get paid to play basketball, but for how long and where? If he chooses going pro now, he may wash out in a couple seasons, if he goes to school, he matures, both physically and mentally, and his game will grow and be showcased for a future draft. I know which I would suggest if I were close to the situation.

sacraig

The desert
Just because people say No Thanks, doesn't mean they think he has no potential or he's doomed. Some people, including me, are not real high on transfers. I'd like to see guys come in as freshmen and grow. So you'll have noticed I expressed a lack of optimism about the two guys waiting to play.

And of course some people think that with two top 50 players in Curbelo and Miller that perhaps there's another one that we can snag instead of Whitney who at this point is a question mark even if people want to gloss over it.

A week into this we're hearing no college rumors that I know of so it seems to be a moot point.

Transfers are the way of things right now. We might as well take advantage when there are solid opportunities instead of stamping our feed and plugging our ears saying "la la la I don't like transfers la la la student athletes should be loyal to their school la la la."

sacraig

The desert
Patience is a virtue.
The young man will get paid to play basketball, but for how long and where? If he chooses going pro now, he may wash out in a couple seasons, if he goes to school, he matures, both physically and mentally, and his game will grow and be showcased for a future draft. I know which I would suggest if I were close to the situation.

Patience is a virtue right up until the point that you tear an ACL and severely diminish your draft stock having never been paid for your talents.

You might argue that he could develop just as well playing in Europe or Australia or the G-League while still being able to legally draw a paycheck.

He is leaning towards NBA now per 24/7 website from 3 days ago. I actually don't think he has done anything to hurt his NBA draft status overall.

I can't imagine he hasn't.

Wings in the NBA have to be able to score at all 3 levels, and his shooting is suspect. 10-23 FTs to boot! I would think he'd be better off in college, but if he can get a decent paycheck overseas, might be better to make the jump.

If he's leaning towards the draft, the transfer makes even less sense. Correct me if I'm wrong, but how do you help your draft status by dropping off your team mid-season after being unable to compete?

I expect he could get to the G League based on his #11 RSCI and potential, but Cliff Alexander had way better numbers across the board, and is playing overseas because his weaknesses were exposed in college.

If Whitney would decide tomorrow he is going to Illinois, who would you Crean?

Creaning means you don't have a spot. As of today, I think the consensus is that Ayo is gone, Kofi is in play, and there's somewhere north of likely that a player who isn't getting as much PT as he expected will decide to transfer. Even if the staff wanted KW, I wouldn't expect a shortage of schollies.

High majors have to accept the world of college bball recruiting, i.e. transfers, guys getting to the league, etc. This stuff can't play out until after the season's over.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but how do you help your draft status

By developing a shot, just working on that and that only before then as well as blowing them away from the combine avenue, his athleticism would have done that regardless.

Patience is a virtue right up until the point that you tear an ACL and severely diminish your draft stock having never been paid for your talents.

You might argue that he could develop just as well playing in Europe or Australia or the G-League while still being able to legally draw a paycheck.
Is the G League paycheck worth any more than a year of education at UI?
We have had several player from here in Alaska return to play in Australia. I think the season is only something like 32 games and the paychecks given the travel and other expenses is not great ($2,000 per game or less for most players on the team), unless you are the one player usually from American that is paid well. It has been a couple of years since I looked but I think there is a total salary cap of significantly less than $2 million for the entire team (and that may be Australian dollars as well).