Kofi Cockburn declares for NBA Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think getting his name in there and getting feedback is a move that makes a lot of sense. If he gets good feedback, he's gone and making lots of money. If he gets critical feedback and decides to come back, he gets to work on it with maybe the best big man coach in the NCAA with Antigua and I think contend for Big Ten Player of the Year next year and then leave for the draft. Good move for him. Let's just hope the feedback convinces him to come back for our sake.

My 2 cents on this....

1. Have to think that BU & asst. coaches have been in dialogue with KC about this for awhile.
2. Coaches don't seem to have any urgency about landing a transfer at any position, esp. the five... (if Kofi were really gone this would seem to be important)
3. If I were Kofi I would want feedback on where I stand.
4. I could be totally wrong about everything I just typed....

1. How do we know there’s been dialogue about this? Now that he’s declared himself, we have to assume there’s a 50/50 chance he’ll be gone. I feel like we were surprised.
2, We seem To be linked to anyone between 6-6, 6-7, or 6-8 who can shoot a 3. No centers. Again, I feel like we were surprised.
3. Agreed. But how much more feedback can he get when there is no face to face workouts when things may still be shut down in June? What can change between now and the draft? (
4. I also could be totally wrong about everything I just typed.

For reasons of sanity (mine) both Ayo and Kofi withdraw their names prior to June 3rd and return to Illinois. We pick up a stud transfer stretch 4 to move into major minutes, Giorgi gets comfy again, and Hawkins is the surprise landed recruit next year shooting AG type 3' %.

I'm gonna have another beer now...

u heard anything? based on what bro said it sounds promising I don't think he will get drafted and he will hear that from scouts, u hear anything else?

I know what he is going to hear from scouts and other connected people. Same thing Ayo is going to hear. "Uncertain times with the league, you could improve on these things, we recommend another year to help polish your craft and look forward to seeing you next year."

He has kept his options open but the person I spoke to said that he is set on the pro route as of right now and is very anxious to hear feedback.

I know what he is going to hear from scouts and other connected people. Same thing Ayo is going to hear. "Uncertain times with the league, you could improve on these things, we recommend another year to help polish your craft and look forward to seeing you next year."

He has kept his options open but the person I spoke to said that he is set on the pro route as of right now and is very anxious to hear feedback.
got it. So basically there's a chance for both to come back, it's really if they think coming back will help them a lot?

Tevo

Wilmette, IL
I'd guess 70-30 on Kofi staying. 80-20 on Ayo leaving. Based on nothing but wild speculation.

Kofi staying would be a huge relief. Ayo staying would be a huge surprise.

I'd say there's a chance Kofi comes back and Ayo goes, but it's also possible those two are flipped and Kofi goes but Ayo stays. And it wouldn't be shocking if they are both back, but then they could also both leave. Kofi may have his heart set on the NBA, but then he may really want to play professional basketball, which would be accomplished through the NBA but could also be accomplished through other leagues, and Ayo may feel the same way, or they may both value educations. They could value educations and ALSO value playing professionally, so don't rule that out either, whether or not they are drafted or not. I think Ayo might be a first rounder if teams feel that he has first-round talent and is one of the players they want to draft if and when they have a first round pick and it's their turn to choose someone. That could apply to Kofi, too. But if teams feel that either Kofi or Ayo wouldn't give them the best chance to have the best player available (or even the best fit for their team) at the spot at which they are drafting, then they may not choose either of them, in which case, they probably wouldn't be drafted at those spots. So it could imagine it going either way. I'd say it's like 80-40 that either one of them stays in the draft or returns to school.

I could also see it going the other way.

whatahack

St. Peters MO

Is playing overseas a viable option if the NBA doesn't work out or would coming back to CU be better??

Shocked.
Good luck Kofi. Thanks for the fun.
I hope you are back next year and become a lottery pick.

SKane

Tennessee
It totally makes sense to do what Kofi is doing.

I could see a team wanting to draft him based on his potential alone - he will be at least a starter in the NBA sooner or later.

If the draft is not deep, I could see a team wanting Kofi instead of another player who may be better now but has a lower future ceiling.

I honestly can't see either Ayo or Kofi being drafted. I know ESPN isn't the be all, end all of the basketball world but in their top 100 draft list for 2020, Ayo is 87 and Kofi isn't listed.

Obviously I could be wrong, but I just don't see it.

It totally makes sense to do what Kofi is doing.

I could see a team wanting to draft him based on his potential alone - he will be at least a starter in the NBA sooner or later.

If the draft is not deep, I could see a team wanting Kofi instead of another player who may be better now but has a lower future ceiling.

The current NBA doesn't want bigs that can't shoot beyond 6 feet. Even not being able to shoot the 3 is a minus for them, but you have to have a consistent 15' footer, minimum. He's lower rated than Ayo was last year, significantly so I'd say. He'd be lucky to get a non-guaranteed 2nd rounds spot. Another year at Illinois and similar improvements that he made this year and I could see a solid 1st round slot for him.

If getting a degree is his first priority or if he really enjoys being in college, he should come back. OTOH, if his primary goal is to have a professional basketball career, it absolutely makes sense to go pro so he can work on his game full time without the distraction of classes. I have to believe he can develop his game more playing 60 games a year and practicing every day against guys who are more experienced and stronger than him.
I think that's wrong. You gain a lot more from game competition, not from practice, especially when you're playing in the B1G against top bigs. One year and he could get himself a much higher, guaranteed, 1st round slot. Bet on yourself, Kofi, one more year like Ayo and you could have it made in the shade. OA will make you better, you can take that to the bank.

Congratulations to Kofi. He was awesome at Illinois.
Maybe circumstances change and he returns, who knows. Would he ever be a 1st rounder in the modern NBA? Similar player...Udoka Azubuike a 4 year player was B12POY & All American and still is projected as a 2nd rounder — his draft status hasn’t budged for 3 years. Kofi is 16 days older than Udoka.
Congratulations Kofi.

Kofi didn't play hoops growing up so his hoops age is way lower than Azibuike, he played soccer and track. He's got a lot further to grow. Azbuike can't make a 15' jump shot, which is why his draft projections never changed. Kofi may be able to expand his game like Oturu did. If so, he'll move into the 1st round.

Status
Not open for further replies.