Kofi Cockburn declares for NBA Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
#Illini Kofi Cockburn plans to receive feedback from the NBA and will proceed from there, his brother Nagash told the Tribune. "Given this whole coronavirus thing, it taught (us) whenever the door opens, you have to step through it and not wait for it."
This was a big relief. To be honest, think he will come back based on NBA teams telling him he needs more development. Has not hired an agent either. Think he comes back
His bro is a long time hooper, he doesn't need an agent, just feed back from scouts/player personnel guys and he'll get that like Ayo did last year, and many others have before. I'd be surprised if he leaves, very surprised.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
The side of the road to the NBA is littered with bigs (among others) that jumped to the league too soon. I want Kofi to have an illustrious career, and I believe he can. I hope he gets good advice and makes the correct choice for him.

It totally makes sense to do what Kofi is doing.

I could see a team wanting to draft him based on his potential alone - he will be at least a starter in the NBA sooner or later.

If the draft is not deep, I could see a team wanting Kofi instead of another player who may be better now but has a lower future ceiling.

I am as much a homer as anyone else here... that said I'm not convinced Kofi fits the modern NBA very well.

Any word on if Kofi would go play in Europe next year if the league doesn’t work out? I’m sure he could be making six figures next year overseas and maybe that’s all he wants ala Leron. I’m sure he could get a spot in the G League too, but money isn’t there.

After the FBI scandal in 2018, the NCAA took a stance that college players could hire agents and enter the draft yet still come back to college if they remove themselves from the draft. There are some dates involved here but they may be moot under the present circumstances. The KEY word here is agent!! Same for Ayo.

I am as much a homer as anyone else here... that said I'm not convinced Kofi fits the modern NBA very well.
He doesn’t yet. He’s a baby in basketball experience, but he’s bright and diligent. Maybe he’ll find a place overseas.

This thread has created unnecessary fear regarding next year’s roster. Here’s the facts:

1. Kofi Cockburn has declared for the Draft
2. He retains the option to return to school
3. He has not been a projected 1st or 2nd round pick in any mock draft I’ve seen

If he decides to leave school even after hearing feedback, then I guess he’s just determined on going pro, or NBA scouts know way more than we and all of the Mock Draft creators know. I’m just not buying there’s some unknown reason Kofi is going to go 1st round that the rest of the world hasn’t seen. Again, color me shocked if Kofi ultimately stays in the draft, but there are people smarter than me regarding the entire process...

Any word on if Kofi would go play in Europe next year if the league doesn’t work out? I’m sure he could be making six figures next year overseas and maybe that’s all he wants ala Leron. I’m sure he could get a spot in the G League too, but money isn’t there.
Europe may not be a choice

Deleted member 8896

D
Is playing overseas a viable option if the NBA doesn't work out or would coming back to CU be better??
I have friends with sons who play in Europe & it is crazy over there right now with the virus- all leagues are suspended for now indefinitely.

I had my Ayo cup on. I lost focus and got Cockburned! You think I would learn.
Gee if one if a major college basketball coach these days one seem to get "cockburned" on a regular basis.what withthe draft, transfer portal, graduate transfers.
UW seems to be pretty good at "maintaining an even keel."

Nor is it new. Each of the last three years, when waivers were required for immediate eligibility, some 700 underclassmen elected to move on. Add another 1,000 in 2020, plus a stunning percentage of graduates transferring (it hit 200 last year), and the four-year total far exceeds 3,500 for the 350 Division I schools. In addition, many top-level collegians are gazing longingly toward the NBA draft, which last year drew 175 declarations and 89 withdrawals. That left 80-plus collegians competing with international entries for 60 draft positions ... leaving an unhappy contingent looking toward the G-League or a foreign country.

https://www.news-gazette.com/sports...cle_b268b12d-d549-5089-a855-ce8e74fd0119.html

I think that's wrong. You gain a lot more from game competition, not from practice, especially when you're playing in the B1G against top bigs. One year and he could get himself a much higher, guaranteed, 1st round slot. Bet on yourself, Kofi, one more year like Ayo and you could have it made in the shade. OA will make you better, you can take that to the bank.
Yeah, that's why pros never practice, amirite? They're like "Nah, I'll just be super awesome in the games...I read on the internet that that's where you really get better." <rolls eyes> /s

I haven't seen anyone argue that on-court experience is bad, but saying that is more important than practice is not true. If Kofi is a year away from being a draft pick, it doesn't mean he needs 30 more games. It means he needs another year of developing his footwork, his shot selection, his court vision, film study, weight room, a billion shots, and scrimmages, all under the tuttelege of a knowledgeable coaching staff.

There's an old saying that applies to life, not just sports: "Success is paid for in advance." That refers to preparation, not going out and playing hero ball.

There's an old saying that applies to life, not just sports: "Success is paid for in advance." That refers to preparation, not going out and playing hero ball.

Agreed.

"Somewhere, someplace, sometime someone is practicing their craft, and when they meet you in direct, head to head competition, they will beat you."

There are a handful of us on this board who saw it coming after his first few games. He's a safe second round bet that any logical talent scout would make.

... he needs another year of developing his footwork, his shot selection, his court vision, film study, weight room, a billion shots, and scrimmages, all under the tuttelege of a knowledgeable coaching staff.

The NCAA is not the only place he can get that is all I've been saying.

Which is not to say I pray to God he comes back. But this is what it's like having a team with high talent. You are lucky for each year they play.

There are a handful of us on this board who saw it coming after his first few games. He's a safe second round bet that any logical talent scout would make.
Agree but if he is not picked in the first five picks of 2nd rd no guaranteed money

One thing to keep in mind is that the NBA draft is also very much based on potential. Kofi has one very big thing that cannot be taught and that's height. He's also an absolute monster. Does he have a jump shot yet, no, but it's something that can be developed. Up onto this point in his career he didn't need it. Now he's headed to a league where it's a shooters league so we all sit back and see how he can be developed further. The potential Kofi has is off the charts and with that, I think the ones that are saying there is no way he will be drafted could very well be surprised.

I also think the league at some point will round back into the back to the basket kind of league again. Obviously, pure opinion, but if that happens sooner than later, whoever drafts Kofi or even gives him a G League spot, would be one fortunate team if you ask me.

Europe may not be a choice

I think basketball wise it might not be a choice. A lot of European bigs are generally super skilled. Can dribble, pass, shoot. Like bigger slower guards who dont possess nba athleticism. The ones who do are pretty good nba players.

A strong 2021 draft compared to 2020, might influence player decision-making.

The 2021 draft looks really promising for a few different reasons
There’s a few things scouts are looking for when assessing how strong a draft is. Here’s a short list: 1)Elite talent at the top 2) Potential all-star talent that goes deep into the lottery 3) Versatile athletes that fit into how the league wants to play today, and going forward.
It sure feels like the 2021 draft checks every box right now. A lot can change in the next 16.5 months, but those who have kept a close eye on the American prep scene and a couple young international pros are already seeing the signs of a very good class. https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2020/2...riors-timerwolves-cade-cunningham-jalen-green

Kofi is the player that takes from ranked to also-ran. We have some talent behind Ayo (although lesser) but only Giorgi with size.

Azbuike can't make a 15' jump shot, which is why his draft projections never changed.

Can't make a 15' standing shot either. Amazingly bad FT shooter. Huge guy, though, and a force defensively despite not being explosive by NBA standards. This site has him just outside the last pick.
Draft Projections (Aggregate)

Ayo only in 3 of 9 projections. I would expect Kofi to get listed in the next iteration and I'll guess he'll be slightly ahead of Azbuike.

Status
Not open for further replies.