Kofi Cockburn declares for NBA Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
. If you're not gonna get drafted, the question just becomes, ‘Would you rather develop in college? Or would you rather go to the G League or go international or what type of route is available to you?’ That’s probably what he’ll be weighing, to be honest.”
https://247sports.com/college/illin...-in-todays-NBA-Jeremy-Woo-weighs-in-145839083
That is what I said about Ayo, go undrafted, do you have a better chance leading your college team or going to a g league team. seems to me coming back would be the better option.

My conspiracy theory is BU and Kofi have a little deception going on. In order to get another “big time” big man to commit, there has to be an available starting spot. So.... Kofi declares, BU gets a 4-5 star big man to sign on, and... Kofi comes back and our depth and future looks even better....

One can dream😎🤓🥳🤩

We saw what happened when Ayo slipped on the guys' sweat on the hardwood. What happens when we add Haarms tears to the mix?

Thought that it was the Michigan State game that Ayo nearly did the splits and was assisted off the floor????

hooraybeer

Pittsburgh, PA
Yes, I'll be sad if we lose both Kofi and Ayo to the pros.

But I'll also be happy.

When was the last time we sent to guys there in the same year? 2005?

Sending guys to the pros can suck in the short term, but if we are getting guys to the show ... ;)

i think we'd all be ecstatic if both went and were drafted and had a reasonable chance at NBA success.

My conspiracy theory is BU and Kofi have a little deception going on. In order to get another “big time” big man to commit, there has to be an available starting spot. So.... Kofi declares, BU gets a 4-5 star big man to sign on, and... Kofi comes back and our depth and future looks even better....

One can dream😎🤓🥳🤩
I like the way you think

3DegreeIllini

Chicago,IL
i think we'd all be ecstatic if both went and were drafted and had a reasonable chance at NBA success.

Meh. Sure, I’d be happy for them personally. Anyone who signs on the take this program to the next level (especially considering where it was when they signed on) is someone I will root for.

But for the program? I think commenter Our Success Equals The Knowledge on IlliniBoard put it best (His/her excellent comment/work below):

For the "this is good news crowd", I think a perfect case study is the University of Texas. They're not Duke or Kentucky but consistently produce NBA talent. That being said, they haven't made the Sweet 16 since 2008, and made it to the round of 32 twice since 2010 (same as us).

NBA draft picks they have produced since 2010:

• Avery Bradley (Freshman, 19th pick in 2010)
  • Damian James (Senior, 24th pick in 2010)
  • Dexter Pittman (Senior, 32nd pick in 2010)
  • Tristan Thompson (Freshman, 4th pick in 2011)
  • Jordan Hamilton (Sophomore, 26th pick in 2011)
  • Cory Joseph (Freshman, 29th pick in 2011)
  • Myles Turner (Freshman, 11th pick in 2015)
  • Jarrett Allen (Freshman, 22nd pick in 2017)
  • Mo Bamaba (Freshman, 8th pick in 2018)
  • Jaxson Hayes (Freshman, 6th pick in 2019)
9 1st round picks and 1 early second round pick in the last ten years, most of which have been solid NBA players. Yet they went just as deep as we did in the tournament during our worst decade since the 70's.

Jeremy Woo of SI sees Kofi's immediate NBA future like I do:

“He may not get drafted,” Woo said. “It’s very early to tell, obviously, and not having a combine makes it tough for a guy like that who might have been invited just based off his productivity. I think he’d probably be undrafted or maybe second round in the right situation. But I don’t think you can really project it any more than that.”
https://247sports.com/college/illin...ball-Jeremy-Woo-Sports-Illustrated-145839083/

Jeremy Woo of SI sees Kofi's immediate NBA future like I do:

“He may not get drafted,” Woo said. “It’s very early to tell, obviously, and not having a combine makes it tough for a guy like that who might have been invited just based off his productivity. I think he’d probably be undrafted or maybe second round in the right situation. But I don’t think you can really project it any more than that.”
https://247sports.com/college/illin...ball-Jeremy-Woo-Sports-Illustrated-145839083/

Think the concerns with Ayo are spot on, too. He's a great closer, but as an 8th-ish man (which seems where he is projected to be), is he really going to be the guy teams ask to take the last shot? And if not, how does he fit on an NBA roster?

Character, work ethic, professionalism, etc., these things matter and why I do think Ayo will eventually stick in the NBA, but a sure-fire draft pick he is not at this point, sadly. He can definitely make it but I seem him having to take the Van Vleet road to get there.

One can dream😎🤓🥳🤩

I wish that was case, but doubtful. It is more likely to get serious feedback and also, to appear serious in case he has a chance to be drafted. I mean let's say they say Kofi, if you can lose 10 lbs for more agility and gain a 17 foot jumper over the next couple of months for a workout, he could be enticing, even in today's game. If you go in not looking serious, you wont get serious feedback.

The virus has probably bumped the odds of Kofi returning up at least 25%. If his goal is to just play pro ball, overseas looks shaky at best right now (as others have already said). Worst sports scenario is no bball at any level. At that point, does it look better to have sat another year in college (not to mention the benefit of getting a free year of college) or already declared for the draft, go undrafted, and be unable to do so again.

I get that's an unlikely trajectory, but I think it's plausible. And I think coming back to school in that scenario is ideal. I also think regardless of if come fall we're playing basketball again, every league outside the NBA is going to struggle to keep fringe players paid well. So best case scenario still looks bleak if someone cannot make a G league team at minimum. I think this might affect both Kofi and Ayo's decision, but Kofi is much farther on the wrong side of the fringe, at least looking at it from an outsiders POV.

drsmitty74

Rochester
Meh. Sure, I’d be happy for them personally. Anyone who signs on the take this program to the next level (especially considering where it was when they signed on) is someone I will root for.

But for the program? I think commenter Our Success Equals The Knowledge on IlliniBoard put it best (His/her excellent comment/work below):

For the "this is good news crowd", I think a perfect case study is the University of Texas. They're not Duke or Kentucky but consistently produce NBA talent. That being said, they haven't made the Sweet 16 since 2008, and made it to the round of 32 twice since 2010 (same as us).

NBA draft picks they have produced since 2010:

• Avery Bradley (Freshman, 19th pick in 2010)
  • Damian James (Senior, 24th pick in 2010)
  • Dexter Pittman (Senior, 32nd pick in 2010)
  • Tristan Thompson (Freshman, 4th pick in 2011)
  • Jordan Hamilton (Sophomore, 26th pick in 2011)
  • Cory Joseph (Freshman, 29th pick in 2011)
  • Myles Turner (Freshman, 11th pick in 2015)
  • Jarrett Allen (Freshman, 22nd pick in 2017)
  • Mo Bamaba (Freshman, 8th pick in 2018)
  • Jaxson Hayes (Freshman, 6th pick in 2019)
9 1st round picks and 1 early second round pick in the last ten years, most of which have been solid NBA players. Yet they went just as deep as we did in the tournament during our worst decade since the 70's.
No Kevin Durant?

One can dream😎🤓🥳🤩
That's a great dream and wishful thinking, but the problem is the big man could commit then decommit or sign letter of intent then ask to be let out of it depending on staffing or roster makeup. Future looks good. Especially if Kofi goes to get the information that he seeks, then goes pro after his sophomore year.

The NCAA ruling about hiring agents and testing the waters and yet still allowing athletes to return to school has brought the draft declaration out in the open and "sort of legalized it." The number of athletes declaring has skyrocketed as a result. There had always been a lot of speculation when athletes showed up with new cars in the fall. Having an agent in the past was always an underground thing but today like I say the NCAA has approved it in 2018.

And agents do lots of wild things to get kids to sign with them as we saw with the recent FBI shoe scandal. We even saw it reaching down into the HS ranks with examples like Tugs Bowen. Money is the root of all evil, never more exemplified than with college athletics. Lots of gray areas in collegiate athletics.

The real question is, are both Ayo and Kofi keeping up with their classes or are they really leaving themselves with only one option which is leaving?

And agents do lots of wild things to get kids to sign with them as we saw with the recent FBI shoe scandal. We even saw it reaching down into the HS ranks with examples like Tugs Bowen. Money is the root of all evil, never more exemplified than with college athletics. Lots of gray areas in collegiate athletics.

Actually, it's the LOVE of $ that is at the root. :thumb: Where it's grey, people paint the edges, with broader and broader strokes.

Two updated nba mock drafts (nba draft net) and (bleacher report) do NOT have Kofi being drafted nor ayo, the higher protection for Kofi is 62, and seen him as high as 76th.. I would have to say with numbers like that he would come back for one more year... I hope him and ayo both come back we will see..
However his twitter post sounds like hes closed the door on us and moved on..
Hopefully kofi comes back with ayo, then we have a deadly lineup with curbelo , miller, ayo, William's, kofi.. that's beautiful on paper!
Come back home Kofi and Ayo!

I'm planning on Ayo and Kofi not returning - just to be safe. Could Coach Brad fashion a three-guard team similar to 2005? Dee, Deron, Luther et al.

You got Curbelo, Miller, Frazier. Get a big guy similar to James Augustine and find a Powell.

Possible?

The key here is Miller. Man, I hope he signs.

So just go get two upperclassmen who perfect their roles by playing for three years with best backcourt the school has ever seen? Easy peasy!

I'm planning on Ayo and Kofi not returning - just to be safe. Could Coach Brad fashion a three-guard team similar to 2005? Dee, Deron, Luther et al.

You got Curbelo, Miller, Frazier. Get a big guy similar to James Augustine and find a Powell.

Possible?

The key here is Miller. Man, I hope he signs.
The multi guard look works best with a rim protector on D.

Status
Not open for further replies.