Kofi Cockburn named B1G Freshman of the Week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy for Kofi who started the season as the 5th highest B1G recruit, based on 247 composite. Trace Jackson-Davis, Carton, Watts, and Liddell were all ranked higher.

whatahack

St. Peters MO
I'm putting the O/U at 4.5 on how many times he wins this....

I'm pretty sure this will be his one and only year at Illinois. We haven't seen a kid like this since Leonard.

A lot of players who look like studs in the non-conf don't hold up during conference play. I know it's a limited sample, but if you look at his game against AZ, it's significantly weaker than those other two games. Still decent production, but his efficiency dropped noticeably.

Am I worried? A little, but I'm personally not projecting one-n-done yet.

illinimike

Wheaton, IL
A lot of players who look like studs in the non-conf don't hold up during conference play. I know it's a limited sample, but if you look at his game against AZ, it's significantly weaker than those other two games. Still decent production, but his efficiency dropped noticeably.

Am I worried? A little, but I'm personally not projecting one-n-done yet.
Agreed. We really struggled to get him the rock inside against Arizona. That will have to be figured out for the conference season or it will definitely limit Kofi's production. Not saying he isn't a good player, just wondering if we have the team and passing to support that potential right now.

I'm pretty sure this will be his one and only year at Illinois. We haven't seen a kid like this since Leonard.
He certainly looked to have that potential, like a man among boys in the first 2 games when he had 4+ inches & 50+ lbs. on the the other bigs, against AZ not so much. I think there is still room in the nba for a bruiser that is good for 10 rebounds a game and a high efficiency scorer. But let’s see how he does against the big 10 before we make that call. I don’t think he is anyone’s mock draft yet & rightfully so.

He certainly looked to have that potential, like a man among boys in the first 2 games when he had 4+ inches & 50+ lbs. on the the other bigs, against AZ not so much. I think there is still room in the nba for a bruiser that is good for 10 rebounds a game and a high efficiency scorer. But let’s see how he does against the big 10 before we make that call. I don’t think he is anyone’s mock draft yet & rightfully so.
Think he will have to shoot from outside to be o and d.

Big Jack

Decatur
Kofi's potential is off the charts in what little I have seen, but he has some glaring weakness that need fixed. He was terrible blocking out on free throws, go back watch Az game and see how many times they drove to the rack and he stood there flat footed with his arms at his side and last he needs to be better when he gets in the post with his shots. Hope it takes him 3 years to figure this out..

I wonder if he has been coached not to try too much on defense as a way of keeping him on the floor longer. His mere presence in the middle strengthens our D and doing more means fouling more.

The Recruit

The Eternal Optimist
Denver, CO
While he did see a production drop against AZ, he still had 9 points, 6 rebounds, and 1 assist against a very good team (I would argue a top 10-15 team, maybe better?). Kofi is very talented, and obviously physically gifted, but he is not a 1 and done type to go into today's NBA (thankfully). I think we have Kofi two or three years, and not four. He is has a lot of development to do, and he is going to be a blast to see the progression for a while.

Think he will have to shoot from outside to be o and d.
A lot of people seems to float that out, but last year Jaxson Hayes went 8th & attempted 0 in his college career Stats, Deandre Ayton was the number 1 overall in 2018 & he went 0 - 4 his rookie season, Wendell Carter has shot 41 in his first 2 years in the NBA at a .171 clip, Ben Simmons was 1-3 at LSU and drafted #1 overall, take a look at his NBA stats. It certainly would help, but it is far from required if you are special elsewhere.

He needs to improve his moves down low. The NBA isn't taking him just because he's huge. I think he's either a 2 or 3 year player, myself.

I wonder if he has been coached not to try too much on defense as a way of keeping him on the floor longer. His mere presence in the middle strengthens our D and doing more means fouling more.
It's notable that Kofi has managed to stay out of foul trouble so far and this may be the reason. Hopefully he can continue to stay out of foul trouble. Additionally, if he can clean up some of the turnovers that would be great too. It's early....I'll take a win any way I can get it while the team figures things out.

Status
Not open for further replies.