Larry Nassar and Michigan State

The Nasser case didn’t make much of any national news until after he pled guilty in the second case and it was announced a number Olympic atheletes would be testifying at sentencing. Aziz Ansari’s bad date was getting way more news right up until the sentencing hearing started.

The Sandusky case was all over the national news the minute Sandusky was indicted.

So no comparison in terms of coverage between the two.

By the way, the Michigan legislature just passed a resolution that MSU’s president resign, or if she fails to do so, the BoT should remove her.

icengineer

Southern Illinois
I've spent about half of the past 6 months in IL and the other in AZ and to be honest, I didn't hear much about it all. I really only became aware of the extent of the problem just in the past month or so.

It definitely wasn't at the forefront of my news/sports media.

bdutts

Houston, Texas
He will likely die in jail, even if he manages to die of old age. He may have to be--way want to be--kept separate from the general prison population.

But he's only the first domino, albeit the biggest one, that starts many others falling.

That said, what made this guy so particularly valuable that people were willing to cover up the monstrous things he was doing? Sandusky, of course, because of his coaching abilities. Paterno leaned on him a lot. But is sports medicine that rare of a talent that Nassar had to be the one to do it?

Also, I'm in Pennsylvania, so of course Sandusky was very much in the news here. Nassar not so much. I'm wondering about how this is playing in the rest of the country. How do the two compare in coverage, for example, in Illinois? Around the rest of the country?

No coverage other than during sentencing down here in Houston. Local news is surprisingly unlike a big city and more like a smaller town. They rarely talk about anything outside of Texas or the world. It's really strange. But yeah, essentially no coverage outside of when the victims were reading statements.

I live in West Lafayette and our paper is a sister paper of the IndyStar who broke this whole mess. I remember reading the very first couple of articles about coaches in USAG. But past that I don’t remember much coverage until the last couple of weeks either.

sbillini

st petersburg, fl
Not to bring a thread back from the dead...but this just gets more and more ridiculous. Some real changes need to happen at MSU's health system...

In case anyone out there has a WSJ subscription...
https://www.wsj.com/articles/deans-...chigan-state-during-nassars-tenure-1521453600

In a spring 2005 section of a year-long introductory course on physical examinations taught by Dr. Strampel, for example, a male model hired for students to practice prostate and rectal exams didn’t show up. Dr. Strampel offered himself as the model patient, according to an account written by several students and shared with a longtime faculty member shortly afterward.

According to that letter, he directed his offer at one student, and that student left the room alone with Dr. Strampel and conducted the rectal exam, telling classmates afterward that he was concerned about failing the course if he declined.

This is an astonishingly bad story. 17 year old drugged and raped, got pregnant, had a miscarriage.
Supposedly the entire thing was videotaped. Player's coach demanded a copy of tape and got one, filed complaint.
George Perles, the AD and a current trustee, intervened and insisted that the coach return the tape, RESIGN, and sign a confidentiality agreement.
Athlete went to police to file complaint and was told she must work within the Athletic Dept.

There is literally no part of this that makes any sense. It didn't make sense in 1992 and makes even less today.
Horrendous stuff.

the national

the Front Range
This is an astonishingly bad story. 17 year old drugged and raped, got pregnant, had a miscarriage.
Supposedly the entire thing was videotaped. Player's coach demanded a copy of tape and got one, filed complaint.
George Perles, the AD and a current trustee, intervened and insisted that the coach return the tape, RESIGN, and sign a confidentiality agreement.
Athlete went to police to file complaint and was told she must work within the Athletic Dept.

There is literally no part of this that makes any sense. It didn't make sense in 1992 and makes even less today.
Horrendous stuff.

This is horrible, and scary. This athletic department had too much power and it destroyed people's lives.

Illiini

In the land of the Nittany Lion
This is exactly what happened at Penn State. JoPa was given autocratic power over anything that happened with the football team and players/coaches. The university abdicated not only complete control, but any control, over JoPa's realm.

No, actually, this is worse. At Penn State, although there were multiple people involved in a coverup/blind eye, there was only one perpetrator. At Michigan State there was more than one, and the athletic department not only covered up but abetted by in effect sequestering evidence. This is horrific Rosemary's Baby kind of stuff.