Lere Oladipo Domestic Abuse Allegations

There is a Twitter user who is currently leveling some very strong accusations against Lere Oladipo claiming that he beat her multiple times over the course of their relationship and even after she attempted to break things off. She is also claiming that UIUC has been covering this all up because he is an athlete. I read her entire thread, and if true, he shouldn't just be kicked off the team, he should be expelled from Illinois.

Chicago, IL
There is a Twitter user who is currently leveling some very strong accusations against Lere Oladipo claiming that he beat her multiple times over the course of their relationship and even after she attempted to break things off. She is also claiming that UIUC has been covering this all up because he is an athlete. I read her entire thread, and if true, he shouldn't just be kicked off the team, he should be expelled from Illinois.

If it's true that the school and DIA has been covering it up, that makes my skin crawl.

You can't control a player's every action. You can control your response to it. If they had evidence she was abused by him and this is what they did, shame on them.

Is this the same thing as the accusation from last October?

Edit adding answer: Yes, based on her tweets. She alleges she lied to protect him, which accounts for the changed story that resulted in the dropping of the case in December

Last edited:
Chicago, IL
It's not uncommon to have a person's story change if they're afraid to testify.

I get that you can't (and shouldn't) prosecute someone if the story is constantly changing, but it can't be taken as an all-clear either.
Agreed. It makes me think that without the alleged victim, the prosecutor saw no way forward. Awhile back there was a case with Ben Roethlisburger and the prosecutor basically came out and said, this guy almost certainly did what he was accused of, but I dont have evidence that would allow a jury to convict.

Last edited:
I DM'd Lere last year after I saw his mug shot of a scared child and felt terrible. We had a quick conversation about mistakes and not letting them become who you were meant to be. It would be easy to just hope none of this was true. Odds are in today's world they are true. I now feel very disgusted.

Loda, IL
As someone who has personally been in that office where they handle issues like this, I can assure you UIUC does not cover this kind of stuff up. They are quick to jump to the accuser's side and will dismiss a student without adequate proof before they would ever cover something up.

I have trouble following long twitter rants like these. Did I get this part correct: the University had a hearing, but nothing has been decided at this point? I gather the hearing was a while ago, and are they still investigating or what is taking so long?

I'm surprised she hasn't hired a lawyer.

Former Krush Cow
South Bend, IN
We as a fan base have seen athletes justly accused and punished but also we have seen an athlete falsely accused. He is still on the team and only suspended because his case hasn't gone through yet. I am not for ruining a person's life over unproven accusations. It's a dangerous precident and I think the University handled the Tate false accusations correctly.

If he ends up being guilty, by all means turn that suspension into a dismissal and I hope justice is served. We just can't function in a guilty until proven innocent type of society.

Essentially there was a hearing on Thursday, but like @IlliniKat91 mentioned, in the event victims (in general) are afraid to testify then that story can change.

These kinda topics aren’t the best for these kinda boards because all we do here is speculate, debate, and discuss stuff regarding our teams and this is a topic where it’s basically inadvisable to do so.

South Carolina
Not sure if this isn't given in the details or if I missed something, was there some other transgression that occurred with the same girl in 2019 for the second suspension? Or was he suspended twice for the same thing because she made a second complaint?

Woodridge, IL
Not sure if this isn't given in the details or if I missed something, was there some other transgression that occurred with the same girl in 2019 for the second suspension? Or was he suspended twice for the same thing because she made a second complaint?
Based on her Twitter posts she is alleging that there were multiple incidents of abuse, not just the one he was suspended for last year.

Austin
This is a bad situation in general.

As someone who has worked with the university’s sexual assault and abuse education efforts, I can say most cases show the accusers are not liars. It’s really hard to step forward and shine light on the fact that you’ve been violated in such a way. That, in fact, is why many stories get changed through the course of these investigations. It’s hard to relive for statements and embarrassing to be assaulted like that, even when it’s not your fault and you’ve tried to stop it.

The flip side, is people in the limelight are significantly more likely to be falsely accused. Naysayers will also point out the times accusations have proven to be made up as revenge, which really does hurt credibility of legitimate victims. And like I said earlier, from an outside perspective, story changing looks questionable.

I just hope this gets resolved ASAP.

A Legend in My Own Mind
Montgomery, IL
I read the entire rant and am inclined to believe that she's telling the truth, but the decision to go off on Donald Trump and Kanye West in the middle of it seemed a bit odd to me.

This really saddens me, I thought at least Lovie was running a program that made kids live a life with upstanding character. I don't fully buy that the university is trying to cover it up as much as they don't have enough evidence to rightfully prove and expel Oladipo. If the program is smart Lere will never be unsupervised over the rest of his tenure here and I hope sincerely that this young lady is helped, listened to, and gets the justice she deserves.

This really saddens me, I thought at least Lovie was running a program that made kids live a life with upstanding character. I don't fully buy that the university is trying to cover it up as much as they don't have enough evidence to rightfully prove and expel Oladipo. If the program is smart Lere will never be unsupervised over the rest of his tenure here and I hope sincerely that this young lady is helped, listened to, and gets the justice she deserves.
Is Lovie supposed to follow them around in their personal lives too? He has done a remarkable job of bringing in boys who have stayed, for the most part, out of the newspaper for bad reasons. The same could not be said about Zook.

The DIA did what it is supposed to do here. The University proceeds from here. Like it or not, guilty or not, he gets his day in court or whatever. This is a bad situation to be in all way around. There was nothing covered up either. She changed her story as well as a witness, he had charges dropped. The DIA imposed some sort of you must do this to get back on the team and he did it. She has since brought this up again. They immediately suspended him, again. How many players has Lovie dismissed? Players we are missing and need.