Leron Black to pursue professional career

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Thanks Leron! You were/are a beast! Tear it up in Euro ball!

Next man up!:illinois:

EJ33

San Francisco
Leron will be missed but so glad that his story at the U of I has a happy ending. His development on and off the court is a case study for how college athletics can help kids improve their lives.

Good luck to him but man....with the big ten losing so many bigs I think he could have killed it next year and made himself into a potential 1st round pick next year which would be much much more money.

Deleted member 4960

D
Good Luck Leron! I wish you well in your professional career. This definitely sucks for next year. Hopefully we will sign some of these recruits and play better ball next year. Maybe pick up a Grad Transfer.

Got the news on Leron a couple days ago, and he made the right choice. He put up an offensive performance this season that would have been difficult to replicate.
Hope to see him expand his skill set at the next level, and excited for whoever is going to step up and fill Leron’s spot.

He's got his degree, engaged to be married, time to make some money. Good luck to Leron!

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
Good luck to Leron!

Timing of this is well calculated. I have a feeling this decision was made a while ago and was kept on the hush-hush to avoid the perception of an exodus from the program (i.e. Smith and Leron back-to-back).

Have to think BU is looking at this thing more long-term now. Our interest in Kane and Giorgi suggests a more long-term vision for this rebuild. Regardless, we need to win more conference games next season to show we're trending up. Grabbing a productive fifth year big is now absolutely critical.

Thanks, Leron, for your commitment to the Illini program during your career here! It was a pleasure to watch you evolve, be a great team player, and get better each and every year - best to you in your future endeavors!! :congrats:

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Ouch. No way around it, it sucks. Good luck to Leron. It's probably the best decision for him right now. I just hope we can find some way to replace his production, or at least come close. It's going to be a tall task.

Last edited:

kuhl84

Orlando, FL
Congrats Leron!

The sky is still up there.

Hoping now Musselman gets a new job, but somewhere Caroline doesn't want to be and he miraculously ends up in Champaign.

Don't need a miracle.

Got the news on Leron a couple days ago, and he made the right choice. He put up an offensive performance this season that would have been difficult to replicate.
Hope to see him expand his skill set at the next level, and excited for whoever is going to step up and fill Leron’s spot.

So.....you're saying your an insider, eh???

Thank you Leron, it was fun to watch your tough, gritty style...

I can't fault him for leaving, his stats would never be greater than they were this year.
His stats could easily get better as he was a very average rebounder who should have been much better than he was and is currently a well below average defender. I loved his offensive game, but think he is personally making a long-term mistake by not staying one more year and developing those aspects of his game, along with his ballhanding skills. But, alas, he has to do what he feels is best for him.

The right thing would have been to stay and continue his development. He still needs improvement before taking the next step and would have developed more staying one more year.

People are willing to pay him to play basketball right now. He has a ten year window to max out his earnings. Don’t let your feelings on him leaving blur the real picture.

There's a gut punch. Good luck to Leron. I am confident he will rep the University well and make a tidy sum while doing so.

Trice, your table is set.

I think Townie Matt is right. This has been known by the staff for weeks which explains the continued recruiting.

Leron developed dramatically this year under BU offensively. By the end of the year he was very clever around the basket.

As a rebounder, his low vertical made it difficult for him to be an elite rebounder. He worked hard but he was at a disadvantage.

On defense, he was a hacking machine. How many 40 minute game plans saw Leron play only 16 minutes because of 4 fouls.

The major problem from Leron leaving early is that our present junior class is almost nonexistent so Kipper, DW and particularly Ebo need to take major steps and yhey might.

Lets not jump off the bridge just yet.

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
Eat+Crow.jpg

OK, I was way off base in the other thread. :eek:

So we're pretty much guaranteed now to be picked last in the B10?

We sucked this year and are losing our best player, so it's likely to be between us and Rutgers. Ebo may not pick up the slack, but he has the tools to be an important piece next year. Kipper will improve too. With Trent and Ayo, we should have a pretty good backcourt, and I think that will keep us out of the basement.

I really dislike the idea of bringing in major projects or low ceiling players out of desperation, but it wouldn't surprise me to see us reach for another big. I think the Griffin pick-up is a good one. Not sure Samba will be ready anytime soon.

Anywho, next year aside, good for Leron to do what's best for him. I thought he really progressed this year.

Deleted member 533939

D
The right thing would have been to stay and continue his development. He still needs improvement before taking the next step and would have developed more staying one more year.
The right thing is doing what is best for him and his family.