Leron Black to pursue professional career

The right thing would have been to stay and continue his development. He still needs improvement before taking the next step and would have developed more staying one more year.

It’s not like he’s going to go somewhere and be buried on a bench and not play next year. He will continue to develop as a player. He will just get paid while doing so. If he continues to develop his pay will go up each year. These overseas contracts aren’t long term contracts. The argument to stay if you think you can improve your draft stock from late first round to mid first round makes some sense. The argument to stay because you might get $20,000 more on your first contract makes little sense. Leron is not going to be an NBA player next year or the year after or ever most likely. I think it is wrong to think that the only way can develop is by staying at Illinois. He will be playing against good competition and believe this, if he’s good enough to jump up in competition, scouts will find him.

Obviously, we need to fill the current openings first. However, how many scholarships will BU keep available for 2019-20.

Bummers

Silver lining, at least he came out with it now to give us more time to recruit a replacement.

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
Let's see who else we bring in this offseason before we declare another no postseason year next year.

We're getting in more of BU type players.

I'm excited for next season.

Good bye to Leron. Thanks for everything you brought to the U of I!!! I'm glad he took great advantage of his second chance, and I'm sure he'll be a great ambassador for the University, wherever he ends up.

Hope to see him playing in the NBA soon!!!

Well, I'll just wish Leron the best of luck in Life and Career. :hailtotheorange:

Deleted member 4333

D
Is everyone using the same broken sarcasm meter?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Ubermensch

BOOM! Feed my ego.
It just occurred to me that UI announced this on the first day of the tournament. Wise decision. People outside Illinois aren't going to be talking about this today.

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal
It just occurred to me that UI announced this on the first day of the tournament. Wise decision. People outside Illinois aren't going to be talking about this today.

Nobody outside of Illinois is ever talking about us any more, my friend.

RedRocksIllini

Morrison, CO
I think your gonna surprised next year with Samba and when finals ranking come out in a couple of months Samba is expected to be somewhere in the top 75-100. His footwork and post moves have advanced a lot since he first transferred to Florida Prep and he's still growing. Hes already big enough to play in the big ten plus he's a great athlete with soft hands. Kid has a really high ceiling and he's a good kid.

So you're saying his growth plates are still open?

Leron's decision now magnify's the need for Finke to stay even more. If he decides to transfer, we might as well start playing for 2019 (which we probably already have). :tsk:

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't think it is a death knoll but improvement is going to depend more on individual improvement and adaptation to the system than talent infusion. Lineup of Ebo, Finke, Kipper, Ayo, and Trent will be as good defensively as last years team and probably better because of experience. Scoring makeup is like losing Hill (equivalent scoring to Black). Kane will be better off the bench than Ebo this year. If Trice and Jones come we have backup for Finke and Kipper. DaMonte and TeJon to back up the guards and AJ as a floater.

Leron was getting really fun to watch - skilled - going to miss him BUT i wish him the BEST of luck. I hope he has the time of his life overseas or in the nba!

Ubermensch

BOOM! Feed my ego.
I assume you haven't researched the topic on twitter. Spoiler Alert: Illini bball fans are making themselves look awful again.

Ah. I see. We. Thanks for clarifying.

People have been overwhelmingly supportive of Leron's decision. It's bad from a basketball standpoint for the fans, but only sociopaths will criticize him for it.

Totally support Leron and his decision. Wish him nothing but the best.
BUT from an Illini basketball position, man this sucks

sinmyp

Back In Robinson!
This sucks. We really need him, and he needs another yr. Bad for both parties involved. Man, Illini = Snake bitten

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
Ah. I see. We. Thanks for clarifying.

People have been overwhelmingly supportive of Leron's decision. It's bad from a basketball standpoint for the fans, but only sociopaths will criticize him for it.

i.e. Twitter.

...Man, I hate Twitter.

It is an exciting time of his life. Getting married, graduating, and likely a pro gig overseas. Nothing but support and gratitude for Leron.

AEX

Danger Zone
I get the logic others are touting about getting paid, starting a pro career, finance, etc. And more than anything I do wish Leron the best of luck.

That said, this still feels odd to me. How common is it for a player to leave early for a pro career outside of the NBA?

I get the logic others are touting about getting paid, starting a pro career, finance, etc. And more than anything I do wish Leron the best of luck.

That said, this still feels odd to me. How common is it for a player to leave early for a pro career outside of the NBA?

How odd would it be if he changes his mind about going pro and grad transfers elsewhere??