Looking ahead to 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

illini80

Forgottonia
I don't know how the play calling will work in this system, but it appears that the best athlete will have a leg up since it will be run first and so not require as many reads. At least that's what I've gotten from things I've heard from talking heads. Someone else may have better knowledge of the situation. Cam is the one to beat initially at least.

Deleted member 654622

D
I don't know how the play calling will work in this system, but it appears that the best athlete will have a leg up since it will be run first and so not require as many reads. At least that's what I've gotten from things I've heard from talking heads. Someone else may have better knowledge of the situation. Cam is the one to beat initially at least.

We wont know for sure until we start playing of course. However, keep in mind that on multiple occasions, when describing his style of Offense, Smith says its like RichRods except he wants to pass the ball more.

Don't forget Matthew Robinson either! My guess is to START the season is:

1) Cam Thomas
2) AJ Bush
3) Mj Rivers
4) Coran Taylor
5) Matthew Robinson

By the end of the season any one of those QBs could be the guy. Robinson's tape is far more impressive than his ranking, MJ can do it all, and Coran seems like a gutsy leader and durable QB. Unless Cam has improved a lot this offseason (very possible) then I believe that one of the freshmen will be starting by game 5 or 6. I do not see much out of Bush yet.

My thoughts exactly. I believe Cam has the advantage for the starting spot due to participation in spring ball.

As far as changing positions, I believe Cam definitely has the speed. Can he run a route? I have no idea.

Illini QB Spot

Offs. Coor and Lovie better be considering AJ Bush and Cameron Taylor for the QB spot. For the team to improve it is a must for the most important position and leadership of the team, it starts with having a qualified QB. Most Def Coor can install a scheme to tear-up any offense when they have no fear of a passing threat.

Read a recent internet article about spring ball and it had a picture of Cam Thomas taking a rep with the new oc watching. Looked like Coran Taylor standing in the background. Nice to see Coran has made to at least one practice even if he is not participating.

Unfortunately, I think you're right. I'd set the over/under at 3 wins.

It's going to be another year of evaluating the young talent and hoping to see fewer mistakes, smarter play, and more competitive games.

I’ll take the over, think they’ll win 4-5 games, be 3-0/ 2-1 in Non conference and beat two of Rutgers/Purdue/Minnesota

Last edited:

illini80

Forgottonia
I also believe Bush will start all year

Am I mistaken or will he not be on campus until august? He will need to have a really good camp to win the starting job that fast.

I think our season rests firmly on the QB position and whether we get effective play or not. I think 5 wins is possible with solid performance there. 3-4 seems more likely.

Deleted member 654622

D
Am I mistaken or will he not be on campus until august? He will need to have a really good camp to win the starting job that fast.

I think our season rests firmly on the QB position and whether we get effective play or not. I think 5 wins is possible with solid performance there. 3-4 seems more likely.

I believe you are spot on here with the QB position and the results of the team. As far as Bush, yes it wont be until after the summer. I base my prediction off their total college experience, Grad Senior > True Soph. I do not think one spring in a new system overcomes the difference in
1. Coaching on throwing mechanics
2. Physical growth
3. Experience in reading defenses
And I assume Bush has some form of the playbook and terminology to study now.

Deleted member 29907

D
I believe you are spot on here with the QB position and the results of the team. As far as Bush, yes it wont be until after the summer. I base my prediction off their total college experience, Grad Senior > True Soph. I do not think one spring in a new system overcomes the difference in
1. Coaching on throwing mechanics
2. Physical growth
3. Experience in reading defenses
And I assume Bush has some form of the playbook and terminology to study now.

Have not compared the two offenses in detail, but VT and what I've seen of the Arizona offense seem similar in nature - up tempo, lots of reads, run options, miss-direction etc. Tech didn't always run up tempo but did run a quicker tempo in general. Conceptually, and physically, Bush should be there - just a matter of working with teammates to gel.

I thought he’d be on campus in June just wouldn’t be on scholarship until later cause of the blue shirt?

illini80

Forgottonia
I thought he’d be on campus in June just wouldn’t be on scholarship until later cause of the blue shirt?
He may well be on campus, but cannot "participate" in team activities. Whatever that means.

I just think MJ is the total package as compared to everyone else that either is a great runner but subpar thrower, or can throw and is quick but just doesn't have the size. I don't think Cam surpasses AJ even though he is getting that extra time this spring. AJ has a lot of college years under his belt, which does go a long way.

Yes, I also think MJ is the guy who will come in and win the position. Maybe not as a true freshman, but by the next year. He's a beast.

Deleted member 654622

D
Yes, I also think MJ is the guy who will come in and win the position. Maybe not as a true freshman, but by the next year. He's a beast.

I would love for AJ to be more than capable if not solely to allow MJ(and all the incoming freshman QBs) to redshirt. And honestly I hope they all take to the challenge of a 5 star QB coming in the year after them. I hope it drives them to greatness!

I would love for AJ to be more than capable if not solely to allow MJ(and all the incoming freshman QBs) to redshirt. And honestly I hope they all take to the challenge of a 5 star QB coming in the year after them. I hope it drives them to greatness!

Agreed, on all points. I hope the TF can redshirt, and I don't care who wins the battle after that. My guess is that it will be either MJ or IW. But we shall see.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Agreed, on all points. I hope the TF can redshirt, and I don't care who wins the battle after that. My guess is that it will be either MJ or IW. But we shall see.

I am hoping for a LOT more redshirts this year to start up the developmental system at a number of positions.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
2018 will be the first time Illinois football has ever played Maryland.

Deleted member 654622

D
2018 will be the first time Illinois football has ever played Maryland.

I know absolutely nothing about Maryland's football team except that they are a couple years ahead of us in the facility build, and they already have their own Isaiah Williams at QB. If he stays healthy this year, I am intrigued to see just how many more wins they get. I see them being a pretty good program in the next 2 years

Deleted member 654622

D
I am hoping for a LOT more redshirts this year to start up the developmental system at a number of positions.

This is such a HUGE deal in the development of the team. Let's hope this is the case

Illiini

In the land of the Nittany Lion
And they don't play Maryland at home for the first time until 2021.
I expect a good turnout of Illini at College Park. At least there should be.

Deleted member 654622

D
In perfect world yes, but doesnt our best 3 deep include a significant amount of true freshman?

I am 100% sure it does. My point is, if the majority of incoming freshman are better at that moment, with no development, than the juniors and sophomores that have been in the system, we will not take much of a step forward.
Honestly, I hope the only TF we see this year are Verdis Brown, Calvin Avery and Khalan Tolson. And VB/CA are at DT were we just redshirted 2 freshman last year.

I am 100% sure it does. My point is, if the majority of incoming freshman are better at that moment, with no development, than the juniors and sophomores that have been in the system, we will not take much of a step forward.
Honestly, I hope the only TF we see this year are Verdis Brown, Calvin Avery and Khalan Tolson. And VB/CA are at DT were we just redshirted 2 freshman last year.

Yeah we're on the same page.

Its unfortunate but I think because of how big the rebuild is, that time is next year at the earliest. But with the talent level of some of these 2019s, they could force their way onto the field too, and maybe 2020 is that first year.

Your scenario is definitely the most ideal though. We need to have guys who are physically developed. That redshirt year is huge for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.