Looking ahead to 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there is a good possibility that we can win the first three games next season. People are wrong in thinking that we'll lose to USF in Soldier Field. Yes, I know that USF went 10-2 the past two regular seasons, and I know that they easily beat us this season, but most of their best players (Class of 2014 recruited by Willie Taggart) will be gone. USF recently had 10 players make all conference, but 9 of them were seniors. They will not be nearly as good next year.

I think there is a good possibility that we can win the first three games next season. People are wrong in thinking that we'll lose to USF in Soldier Field. Yes, I know that USF went 10-2 the past two regular seasons, and I know that they easily beat us this season, but most of their best players (Class of 2014 recruited by Willie Taggart) will be gone. USF recently had 10 players make all conference, but 9 of them were seniors. They will not be nearly as good next year.

True, but I'm conditioned to believe they'll be inexplicably better than us. Hopefully they pull an Illinois style collapse, but have some hype going into the game at Soldier Field. Would be great for our confidence.

I'd consider a 5-7 an excellent season next year, but I'm expecting 2-10 or 3-9.

Deleted member 631370

D
True, but I'm conditioned to believe they'll be inexplicably better than us. Hopefully they pull an Illinois style collapse, but have some hype going into the game at Soldier Field. Would be great for our confidence.

I'd consider a 5-7 an excellent season next year, but I'm expecting 2-10 or 3-9.

They will be better than us. Yes, they are losing a ton. But there's a culture of winning down there, and they have a lot of talent on that roster. More than us.

Whether the home(ish) field advantage overcomes the disparity remains to be seen.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
They will be better than us. Yes, they are losing a ton. But there's a culture of winning down there, and they have a lot of talent on that roster. More than us.

Whether the home(ish) field advantage overcomes the disparity remains to be seen.
Yep. We're not yet ready to beat teams like USF. In 2019 we should be.

I understand why so many Illini fans are worn-out and pessimistic, but I still think we'll beat USF. Their "culture of winning" is very recent. They were terrible until Willie Taggert recruited his exceptional 2014 class and USF then went 4-8, 8-5, 10-2, and 10-2 this season under Charlie Strong. That 2014 class will be gone, and USF has never again recruited a class like that one. Do some research. Our class last year was ranked much higher than their class. We are on the rise; they are on the decline.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I think another 2-10, 0-9 season will derail the rebuilding process. You can only live on promises for so long.

I agree with you, which is why I'm not very happy with the state of the program. I think we have to go forward with Smith and see what he can do, but unfortunately I don't expect much advancement next year. Possibly the year after, if we have a Sophomore or Redshirt FR QB and an improved OL.

BigStan97

Cincinnati OH
Good D next yr, worst offense in the country!

Haha I hope you are wrong.

If all the freshman that played this year on Offense.....if they really are good prospects and talented then, an off-season of getting bigger faster stronger and work on technique for the OL pups......then we should have an improved offense next year.

Lowe Palcho Kramer Boyd all need weight room and technique work.

Dorsey Smalling Green Smith Epstein Bonner Thomas all need weight room and developing into the system.

That’s a ton of kids, in one class, all contributing to one side of the ball.

If we don’t see improved play by these guys then either we just can’t develop talent or they might not have as much talent as we thought.

All of these kids should play better ball next year. Just by having An offseason under their belts.

Deleted member 631370

D
I understand why so many Illini fans are worn-out and pessimistic, but I still think we'll beat USF. Their "culture of winning" is very recent. They were terrible until Willie Taggert recruited his exceptional 2014 class and USF then went 4-8, 8-5, 10-2, and 10-2 this season under Charlie Strong. That 2014 class will be gone, and USF has never again recruited a class like that one. Do some research. Our class last year was ranked much higher than their class. We are on the rise; they are on the decline.

"Do some research"?

Sheesh. We are coming off a 2-win season, playing against a team coming off back-to-back 10-win seasons.

What was UCF's recent recruiting classes ranked? Or Memphis's classes? The advantage of playing in a weak conference like the AAC is that you don't need highly touted recruiting classes to win.

The past 4 years, UCF and Memphis have COMBINED for 5 4-star recruits. But they're very well coached and execute their system remarkably well. Having a better recruiting class than USF gives me absolutely no comfort going into next year's game.

Okay; fine. Don't do any research; just bluster if that makes you feel good. Yet, the fact remains that the players who executed their system remarkably well for the past couple of years (e.g., Quinton Flowers, the quarterback) will be gone next season. Less-skilled and less-experienced USF players will be on the field. I happen to think that situation gives Illini fans cause for reasonable optimism that the 2018 season can begin with three wins. We'll see...

SKane

Tennessee
Don't forget that, by the third game of the season, IL is likely to have six or seven starters out with injuries.

BZuppke

Plainfield
As some have said the qb play will be key. With better qb play this year we could have won a few of the games that were one score games in the fourth qtr. No matter how good Rivers looks, the lack of experience will work against him. I think it will be Cam and the amount of progress he makes will have a large bearing on the season, all other things playing out as we expect.

edavis4

Lynchburg, VA
I'm just looking forward to the new facilities and upgrades to current facilities that are coming! I feel like the university as lacked in competing with MANY other institutions across the country, including my alma mater of Liberty University. As a smaller Division I school, they have made TREMENDOUS progress on building new facilities and expanding current facilities and it's good to see U OF I head in that direction as well!

I think it will be Cam and the amount of progress he makes will have a large bearing on the season, all other things playing out as we expect.

I'm afraid of all the injuries and just assume that Rivers will be forced to play at some point in the season. Hope I'm wrong, but....

A lot of next years I believe has to do with who we finish out this class with and who is here for Spring ball, guys like V Brown and Reuben Unije if you can land them or who knows if we can find a 5th year or JC QB who could be here.

There is still a lot to see what happens before we really know what kind of team we will have

SKane

Tennessee
Four wins would be a good season.

It would be gravy to be competitive in some of the games that are losses.

blmillini

Bloomington, IL
The talent you are referring to is average. It ranked as the 10th best class in the big 10. I don't see the coaching providing superior defensive or offensive schemes. The recruiting needs to improve and the coaching needs to create an identity.

If you paid attention, they have!

The talent you are referring to is average. It ranked as the 10th best class in the big 10. I don't see the coaching providing superior defensive or offensive schemes. The recruiting needs to improve and the coaching needs to create an identity.

It would be a difficult argument to make that several of these guys didn't significantly outplay their rankings. Someone could try I suppose, but it would be difficult.

That would of course make a whole lot more sense than relying on their high school rankings after seeing most of these guys for a full season playing Division 1 Football.

Any news on who the 10th assistant might be? I know a tweet from Trinity Catholic's coach a couple of weeks ago said that he was currently the coach there.

The last 2 SEC champions have had a true freshman qb.

If the OL makes even a small leap, I still think Taylor & Thomas can get us 4-5 wins next season at QB. Not so sure Rivers will walk in and start right away.

If the OL makes even a small leap, I still think Taylor & Thomas can get us 4-5 wins next season at QB. Not so sure Rivers will walk in and start right away.

I agree A LOT is on the OL improving and they should being a year old can only help. I also do not think Rivers will be the starter but who knows, I still think Taylor is the better of the 2 as long as he gets here. Its to bad neither of the FR will be here early would gave them a better shot at starting

Glory Days

Palmetto, FL
Folks are opining that the USF game will be a loss. Not so fast!

USF loses a ton of really good football players....especially Quinton Flowers who is the best QB Illinois has faced since Mitch Trubisky.

I think Illinois wins that game and I think Illinois beats Minnesota, also. That's the path to six wins, and that's where I put my money down.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Folks are opining that the USF game will be a loss. Not so fast!

USF loses a ton of really good football players....especially Quinton Flowers who is the best QB Illinois has faced since Mitch Trubisky.

I think Illinois wins that game and I think Illinois beats Minnesota, also. That's the path to six wins, and that's where I put my money down.

Maybe, but they will still be an older, more experienced team than us (as will be any team we face next season). We will still have an inexperienced QB who has not yet shown the ability to take over games, and we very may well have many players learning how to play differently or under a new system if the rumors about assistant coaches is true. Oh yeah, plus we have very little depth. Our advantage will be that we KNOW that USF will be adjusting to a new system and new players starting, but that game is by no means a likely win. I think we still lose that game and best case scenario next year is 5 wins, with 3-4 being most likely (I say before, because I'm a slight optimist).

Status
Not open for further replies.