Looking ahead to 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I think the middle of our defense, from DTs to interior LBs to safeties, will be the strength of our team.

2018 Illinois Football Schedule

Sat, Sep 01___Kent State...W by 10+ (1-0)
Sat, Sep 08___Western Illinois...blowout W (2-0)
Sat, Sep 15___USF (Soldier Field, Chicago, IL)... L by 10 or less (2-1)
Fri, Sep 21___Penn State... L by 17 or less (2-2)
Sat, Sep 29___--bye--
Sat, Oct 06___@Rutgers.... W by 7 or less (3-2)
Sat, Oct 13___Purdue (Homecoming).... L by 7 or less (3-3)
Sat, Oct 20___@Wisconsin.... L by 17 or less (3-4)
Sat, Oct 27___@Maryland.... L by 14 or less (3-5)
Sat, Nov 03___Minnesota.... W by 7 or less (4-5)
Sat, Nov 10___@Nebraska.... L by 17 or less (4-6)
Sat, Nov 17___Iowa..... L by 7 or less (4-7)
Sat, Nov 24___@Northwestern.... L by 10 or less (4-8)

These are my WAY too early projections for the 2018 season. For me, the swing games of the season are USF, Purdue, Maryland, and Minnesota. I only have :illinois: winning one of those four, but if they win one or two more this season will be huge progress. I think it is a fair and realistic standard that we should not lose any of the above games by more than 17 points. At Wisconsin is the possible exception, where I would not panic if we lose by 24 or so.

TL,DR: I'm projecting a 2 win improvement, but significant improvement in the level of competitiveness.

Deleted member 654622

D
These are my WAY too early projections for the 2018 season. For me, the swing games of the season are USF, Purdue, Maryland, and Minnesota. I only have :illinois: winning one of those four, but if they win one or two more this season will be huge progress. I think it is a fair and realistic standard that we should not lose any of the above games by more than 17 points. At Wisconsin is the possible exception, where I would not panic if we lose by 24 or so.

TL,DR: I'm projecting a 2 win improvement, but significant improvement in the level of competitiveness.

I don't see us competing with Maryland next year. They are ahead of us on their rebuild. If they didn't lose their star QB in week 1, they would have had a much different record.

SKane

Tennessee
An interesting discussion.

I am still predicting four wins Kent State, Western IL and two somehow somewhere of the remainder.

I am assuming an average number of injuries and not the decimation of 2017.

So much hangs on the new OC. With improvement at QB, a new OC, and a stout DEF perhaps we could be pleasantly surprised this fall if we get some key turnovers in a couple games. I guess we'll know more later this week, but I'm starting to get optimistic about our team over the next two seasons (and I haven't been optimistic in a long, long while).

=)

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
So much hangs on the new OC. With improvement at QB, a new OC, and a stout DEF perhaps we could be pleasantly surprised this fall if we get some key turnovers in a couple games. I guess we'll know more later this week, but I'm starting to get optimistic about our team over the next two seasons (and I haven't been optimistic in a long, long while).

=)

Way too early for me to start to get optimistic! I am usually a "realist", until late July/early August, then the Kool-Aid starts a flowin'. ;-)

socalini

So Cali

=)

I don't follow football in the offseason very much, so I'm not sure what our situation is at QB for next year. Do we really have hope for improvement at QB? Are we expecting a true freshman to get the job? None of our existing QBs worked out very well in '17.

Deleted member 654622

D
I don't follow football in the offseason very much, so I'm not sure what our situation is at QB for next year. Do we really have hope for improvement at QB? Are we expecting a true freshman to get the job? None of our existing QBs worked out very well in '17.

I maybe on an island here, but I would love to see what JG can do with some protection and better coaching. I think MJ Rivers is clearly the QB of the future. I just think it would benefit him to carry a clipboard for a year...like I said though, party of 1

I think they are hoping that Cam Thomas improves. He was a true freshman last year. So it is very possible that his struggles last year were age related. However, it's not like a true sophomore is all that more experienced. But hopefully every little bit helps!

BZuppke

Plainfield
While we’re looking ahead to 2018 - look at the non conference schedule for one of those sec title contenders:

‘Plus, Georgia's schedule in 2018 is probably less arduous than the one it navigated through this past season. The Bulldogs play nonconference games against FCS foe Austin Peay, Middle Tennessee, UMass and Georgia Tech, and they'll play Tennessee and Auburn at home.‘

I maybe on an island here, but I would love to see what JG can do with some protection and better coaching. I think MJ Rivers is clearly the QB of the future. I just think it would benefit him to carry a clipboard for a year...like I said though, party of 1

I'm with you a bit here. JG certainly has the arm talent. If the new OC can cut down his int's, I think he would give us the best shot. Cam would be #2 and let the frosh learn and mature.

Once the players were able to see the backhoe digging foundations and prepping the site for the new facility it created a new inspiration and motivation for the team. We are heading in the right direction! A new facility, new OC, a couple of new coaches, in State offers. Now we need to start selling beer at Memorial and bring the students back to the games! #WE WILL WIN

Dan

Admin

jkuch72

Chicago
My guess is that it will be similar to 2016, Lovie's first spring, and there will be no true Spring game due to depth. Still will conduct practices, but no true game. Just my opinion based on roster.

Lovie looks like he hasn't left the house in weeks, haha. I'm a little jealous.

Anyone care to give me a quick update on who is new on campus this Spring? What about our incoming guys in the summer/fall? Nowhere to go but up, but how is our depth looking for 2018? It'll be what makes or breaks us in 2018.

My optimistic outlook

Sat, Sep 01___Kent State W
Sat, Sep 08___Western Illinois W
Sat, Sep 15___USF W
Fri, Sep 21___Penn State L
Sat, Sep 29___--bye--
Sat, Oct 06___@Rutgers W
Sat, Oct 13___Purdue (Homecoming) W
Sat, Oct 20___@Wisconsin L
Sat, Oct 27___@Maryland L
Sat, Nov 03___Minnesota W
Sat, Nov 10___@Nebraska L
Sat, Nov 17___Iowa L
Sat, Nov 24___@Northwestern L

6-6, 3-6 B1G

My pessimistic outlook

Sat, Sep 01___Kent State W
Sat, Sep 08___Western Illinois W
Sat, Sep 15___USF L
Fri, Sep 21___Penn State L
Sat, Sep 29___--bye--
Sat, Oct 06___@Rutgers L
Sat, Oct 13___Purdue (Homecoming) L
Sat, Oct 20___@Wisconsin L
Sat, Oct 27___@Maryland L
Sat, Nov 03___Minnesota L
Sat, Nov 10___@Nebraska L
Sat, Nov 17___Iowa L
Sat, Nov 24___@Northwestern L

2-10, 0-9 B1G.

Depending on how 2018 goes, 2019 will either be a bloodbath or the best 12 weeks of our Illini football lives in over a decade.

2019 Schedule

Sat, Aug 31___Akron
Sat, Sep 07___@UConn
Sat, Sep 14___E Michgan
Fri, Sep 21___Nebraska
Sat, Oct 05___@Minnesota
Sat, Oct 12___Michigan
Sat, Oct 19___Wisconsin (HC)
Sat, Oct 26___@Purdue
Sat, Nov 02___Rutgers
Sat, Nov 09___@Michigan State
Sat, Nov 23___@Iowa
Sat, Nov 30___Northwestern

I'm feeling 2018 is another year of hard-to-watch football. 2019 shows some flashes of respectability. Illini 2020 B1G Champions :).

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
I'm still predicting 3-4 wins next year, mostly due to depth again. In 2019 and on I expect we'll go bowling. Can't wait for that. Full steam ahead.

I hope you're right, Banana. 2019's schedule isn't a cakewalk, but we can certainly be competitive if we make some major strides this year. As of today, I only see three gimmes and they are our first three games. We are comfortably the worst team in the Big Ten and I don't expect us to have totally shed identity by 2019. I think it's very possible that we don't go bowling between now and 2020 and end up competing in the Big Ten Championship game in 2020.

I hope you're right, Banana. 2019's schedule isn't a cakewalk, but we can certainly be competitive if we make some major strides this year. As of today, I only see three gimmes and they are our first three games. We are comfortably the worst team in the Big Ten and I don't expect us to have totally shed identity by 2019. I think it's very possible that we don't go bowling between now and 2020 and end up competing in the Big Ten Championship game in 2020.

I agree with Banana Shampoo - we have a tough year in 2018 and go bowling in 2019 (which is what I'm calling Lovie's 3rd year here). I'd just like to see some stability and production on the offensive side and I'd like to see us hang with teams half way thru the 4th quarter this year. I really thought we had some decent first half play last season and were totally dominated in the second half. If we could see some improvement there, even with our depth problems I would count this season an improvement. I think we have too many question marks in too many places for a lot of optimism this fall but I AM optimistic for next season. Hopefully a veteran QB running an offense for second year, a solid line in front of him and we put up some points making our defenses job that much easier. Here's hoping! I think we're doing all the right things in the meantime.

Status
Not open for further replies.