Looking ahead to 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 654622

D
Not sure where to put this, so please move to where it belong, Dan, but from today’s News Gazette,
Charges against UI football player dismissed
Tue, 12/04/2018 - 11:36am | Mary Schenk

Photo by: Holly Hart
Lere Oladipo. University of Illinois Football Media Day, Sunday, July 30, 2017 at Memorial Stadium.
print.png

URBANA — A Champaign County prosecutor Tuesday dismissed domestic battery charges against a University of Illinois football player.
Assistant State's Attorney Brooke Hinman said she dismissed three misdemeanor counts against Olalere Oladipo, 20, after both the alleged victim and a witness who called police changed their stories.
AWESOME! His mug shot made me feel so bad for him, not knowing any of the details of course. This makes me smile

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Must sweep the non-conference schedule and defeat Minnesota (road) and Rutgers (home). After that, have to win one more as a minimum, two more to appease the masses.

Must sweep the non-conference schedule and defeat Minnesota (road) and Rutgers (home). After that, have to win one more as a minimum, two more to appease the masses.

The 5 you mentioned should be unquestioned wins. I think northwestern is our best chance after that

Purdue loses 8 starters on offense and should take a step back

Yes, I think Purdue will be ripe to be beaten, but they are built by transfers, so we will have to wait to see who they get and how it looks. If that was a home game, I would be inclined to include that in the win column

Yes, I think Purdue will be ripe to be beaten, but they are built by transfers, so we will have to wait to see who they get and how it looks. If that was a home game, I would be inclined to include that in the win column
Brohm is a good offensive coach and the freshman wr that killed us is back..plus some around indy think purdue will get david bell, an all american receiver from warren central. We will have to make a large step up to beat Purdue.

Brohm is a good offensive coach and the freshman wr that killed us is back..plus some around indy think purdue will get david bell, an all american receiver from warren central. We will have to make a large step up to beat Purdue.

It's going to take some heavy lifting for Brohm to come close to last year on offense. 8 of the 10 lineman on the 2 deep are gone. They have a large recruiting class so I wouldn't expect much transfer help as in the past 2 seasons.

They are giving up too much firepower to have such a strong offense next season. I’m sure they will be good, but I think some improvement on defense and offense will make us competitive against Purdue

Until they show me something, anything frankly, to make me think we have a competent solid team I can’t see any more than 4 wins on that schedule.

I think projecting us to beat any B1G team other than Rutgers is fantasyland.

Until they show me something, anything frankly, to make me think we have a competent solid team I can’t see any more than 4 wins on that schedule.

I think projecting us to beat any B1G team other than Rutgers is fantasyland.

We won two games this year, why would you think we couldn’t beat those same teams next year?

Even though we add Thomas at WR, we lose Green. If he is inconsistent, I understand that he didn’t play, grew frustrated and left. What does our receiver depth chart look like after Smalling and hopefully Thomas in ‘19? Not totally sold on Stampley. Is Donny Navarro a viable candidate for 4 receiver sets? I don’t know much about him.

Even though we add Thomas at WR, we lose Green. If he is inconsistent, I understand that he didn’t play, grew frustrated and left. What does our receiver depth chart look like after Smalling and hopefully Thomas in ‘19? Not totally sold on Stampley. Is Donny Navarro a viable candidate for 4 receiver sets? I don’t know much about him.

Trenard Davis should be returning who got a fair amount of play this past year beyond Smalling and Stampley. I’m really hoping Edwin Carter gets well from his injury - he’s tall and flashed in the only game he played this year - kind of a wildcard.

Beyond that you probably have a slew of inexperienced sophomores, RS freshman, or freshman you are hoping that someone steps up from. (Carlos Sandy, Navarro, Stacy, Cumby, Washington, etc)

You can question the Minnesota game

I’d agree. I think next years schedule is a slight step up in difficulty as we trade Maryland for MSU in one of the cross over games and Big10 West is improving. I think Lovie unfortunately is going to catch a tough stretch here with the investment in coaches across Purdue, UM, and Nebraska - I’d expect all these programs to be improving the same time we are. Good news is UW is within striking range right now and Iowa/NW are consistently good but are not the programs that will ever run away and hide from rest of conference.

3 non conferences are a must and then we have to prepare ourselves for 9 conference dog fights. I expect us to step up and be competitive in all but maybe Michigan. I’d hope we can catch a break or two find 3 wins there to get us bowl eligible

Deleted member 633632

D
Having Taylor Martinez and Nebraska in early in the big tean season should be a plus for us, as when that kid hits full stride, he and their offense, is gonna be almost impossible to stop.

But it's a much more winnable game IMO having a Sophmore quarterback on the road for his 1st B1G game of season, then having to play in their place again where he plays with all the confidence in the world!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.