Looking ahead to 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this point, I feel like Iowa would beat us in Kinnick with half of their guys suspended.

Let me make the case for our best chance at a surprise W being the one we (probably) would enjoy the most: Michigan at home. For one, I refuse to expect us to jump up and bite someone on the road. It's just outrageously hard to do, especially for a team that has next to no experience, you know, winning football games. Plus, Michigan has Iowa before us and travels to Penn State the next week.

I think there is no conceivable way that we beat Michigan (as a bubble team. If we win 8, which I don’t think we will, maybe we could be playing well enough to beat um

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
I think there is no conceivable way that we beat Michigan (as a bubble team. If we win 8, which I don’t think we will, maybe we could be playing well enough to beat um
Oh, it's possible. Worse teams beat better teams all the time. Heck, we almost did versus South Florida. I'd give it a less than 10% chance, though. I'll just be looking for us to keep it fairly competitive and not get blown out. We should be able to move the ball on them at the very least. Some fluky bounces go our way and almost anything can happen.

Deleted member 29907

D
I know we are the Illini and don't expect good things, but this news may be the most under appreciated of the year. Reggie Corbin is returning. Over 1,200 yards of total offense averaging 11 yards per catch and 8.5 per carry behind 4 of 5 starters from last year on O-line.
What about Epstein? Is he back as well?

Deleted member 656517

D
The most exciting thing about 2019's our trench player's will be grown up allowing the newly acquired skill player's a chance to make plays. For this reason I could see this team arriving a yr early, but based on our history I'll keep myself grounded until the results are in

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
Here's my logic. If we're really trying to win, I just have a hard time seeing IW being capable of being a full time passing QB right away, especially as he's not enrolling early. I'm sure we will use him as a wildcat-type at times and try to get him on the field in different ways.

And Rivers' lack of foot speed just makes our run game less threatening. It makes us easier to defend. I think he and Robinson were pretty close at that #2 spot last year, and Robinson will remain the better runner and will have developed his passing and understanding of the offense to a higher level now then when he'd only been here for a month.

To put the most positive spin on it, if Rivers keeps that job, it's going to be because of outstanding development as a passer. But my money is on the one dual threat we've got who projects to truly threaten the defense in both aspects.

Deleted member 654622

D
Here's my logic. If we're really trying to win, I just have a hard time seeing IW being capable of being a full time passing QB right away, especially as he's not enrolling early. I'm sure we will use him as a wildcat-type at times and try to get him on the field in different ways.

And Rivers' lack of foot speed just makes our run game less threatening. It makes us easier to defend. I think he and Robinson were pretty close at that #2 spot last year, and Robinson will remain the better runner and will have developed his passing and understanding of the offense to a higher level now then when he'd only been here for a month.

To put the most positive spin on it, if Rivers keeps that job, it's going to be because of outstanding development as a passer. But my money is on the one dual threat we've got who projects to truly threaten the defense in both aspects.
I like the rational...but I think it's MJ

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Bold Prediction: Matt Robinson will be our starting QB next year.

This IS bold. QB situation could be interesting. Still seeing people rallying for Coran Taylor. Rivers seem to progress significantly in camp and did well against a tough stretch of teams.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
It's good that we're finally going to have a spring with multiple QB's who fit the offense competing with one another to improve and give the rest of the roster a look at how this is supposed to work so they can develop too.

Deleted member 645583

D
This QB situation is a nice problem to have. Also seems we've got some real WR talent. But can any one of these guys actually catch the ball?

Last edited by a moderator:
Very long time lurker. First time poster. Finally the combo of boredom at work and excitement/nervousness about our programs has made me consider posting. Preface this to say I actually would probably consider my views strongly aligned to most of what Gritty posts (sorry rest of Loyalty). I wasn't thinking my first post would be about the QB battle, but what the heck. I think it's going to be Rivers, and it's not gonna be particularly close IMO. I mean it will be talked about as an open competition, but I think his experience and raw talent is something unmatched by the rest of that QB room. He has the most experience, strongest arm, biggest frame, and honestly looked about as confident and comfortable as a true freshman with a poor supporting cast could. I also think his running ability is vastly under-appreciated. He's not nearly the speed demon that IW or Bush are, but he impressed me with his option reads and ability to find holes for good chunks of yards. If someone else wins the job, I will be pleasantly surprised, because to me, that means someone outperformed a very solid Rivers.
I have doubts about IW as a full time QB. Ultimately I see him as having a small package at QB nearly every game, but primarily becoming a potential NFL slot receiver. I just can't shake the barely 50% completion percentage at the high school level, at a powerhouse with multiple D1 receivers. Don't get me wrong, he will be our most explosive offensive weapon, I just don't see it as a full time QB.

Deleted member 654622

D
Very long time lurker. First time poster. Finally the combo of boredom at work and excitement/nervousness about our programs has made me consider posting. Preface this to say I actually would probably consider my views strongly aligned to most of what Gritty posts (sorry rest of Loyalty). I wasn't thinking my first post would be about the QB battle, but what the heck. I think it's going to be Rivers, and it's not gonna be particularly close IMO. I mean it will be talked about as an open competition, but I think his experience and raw talent is something unmatched by the rest of that QB room. He has the most experience, strongest arm, biggest frame, and honestly looked about as confident and comfortable as a true freshman with a poor supporting cast could. I also think his running ability is vastly under-appreciated. He's not nearly the speed demon that IW or Bush are, but he impressed me with his option reads and ability to find holes for good chunks of yards. If someone else wins the job, I will be pleasantly surprised, because to me, that means someone outperformed a very solid Rivers.
I have doubts about IW as a full time QB. Ultimately I see him as having a small package at QB nearly every game, but primarily becoming a potential NFL slot receiver. I just can't shake the barely 50% completion percentage at the high school level, at a powerhouse with multiple D1 receivers. Don't get me wrong, he will be our most explosive offensive weapon, I just don't see it as a full time QB.
Other than the Gritty part, solid post!
JK

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
so , by the new NCAA rules, is every freshman player granted automatic redshirt status for 2018 if they played in less than 4 games , or did it have to be the first four games ? who were our redshirts from 2018 then ?

DrewD007

Woodridge, IL
so , by the new NCAA rules, is every freshman player granted automatic redshirt status for 2018 if they played in less than 4 games , or did it have to be the first four games ? who were our redshirts from 2018 then ?

As long as they played less than 4 games they were eligible for a redshirt.

Here's what I've got...
Matthew Robinson
Coran Taylor
Jakari Norwood
Kenyon Sims
Edwin Carter
Larry Boyd
Kievan Meyers
Jordyn Slaughter
Verdis Brown
Ezekiel Holmes
Julian Pearl
Caleb Griffin

Illinois Pro Watch:

Nick Allegretti has accepted a bid for the East-West Shrine game.

No depth chart has been set yet, based on the other guards that accepted, he will probably be getting his time midway through the game. Thinking late 3rd qtr-4th.

Draftek still has him ranked at 376 overall- fringe UDFA range.

K Chase McLaughlin was not given an invite to any prospect exhibition games. Drafttek has not ranked him either in the top 400 prospects...yet.

This does not necessarily mean he hasn't garnered any interest. Fighting Irish K Justin Yoon is not ranked in the 400 either, but accepted an invitation to kick at the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl.

Last edited:

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas

The bolded is the biggest leap in your logic. While possible, because Rod Smith has been known as a bit of a QB whisperer and because MR was hand picked by Smith as HIS QB recruit, I just don’t see it. He seemed soooo shaky as a passer last year.

BUT, if your logic is correct and he has become as serviceable as MJR through the air,I could agree.

Huh, I wonder where he could transfer to and not have to learn a new offense over night?

Exactly. Why graduate in the summer if not looking to transfer? You only transfer if you are guaranteed starter and it helps your NFL stock. How many universities can take on a starting QB and feed them an entire offense within just several weeks of practice?

Status
Not open for further replies.