Looking ahead to 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. Why graduate in the summer if not looking to transfer? You only transfer if you are guaranteed starter and it helps your NFL stock. How many universities can take on a starting QB and feed them an entire offense within just several weeks of practice?

Yep and if Arizona is actively pursuing Hurts they think it may happen. They would know his academic situation better than anyone. You don't try to sell Jalen Hurts on coming into compete with Khalil Tate lol

Yep and if Arizona is actively pursuing Hurts they think it may happen. They would know his academic situation better than anyone. You don't try to sell Jalen Hurts on coming into compete with Khalil Tate lol
Based on everything we’ve heard about Tate and Sumlin’s staff, there’s a good chance Sumlin is going after Hurts regardless of Tate’s status. Sumlin and Hurts supposedly have a strong connection. If I’m Tate I’m doing everything in my power to graduate and transfer before the next season starts.

Based on everything we’ve heard about Tate and Sumlin’s staff, there’s a good chance Sumlin is going after Hurts regardless of Tate’s status. Sumlin and Hurts supposedly have a strong connection. If I’m Tate I’m doing everything in my power to graduate and transfer before the next season starts.

Imo you can't go after Hurts unless you think there is some likelihood Tate is leaving or you absolutely know for certain Hurts is going to Zona kind of like Luke Ford situation. Tate is going to know they're in on Hurts which will further alienate him and he is too good to risk on a maybe from Hurts.

Imo you can't go after Hurts unless you think there is some likelihood Tate is leaving or you absolutely know for certain Hurts is going to Zona kind of like Luke Ford situation. Tate is going to know they're in on Hurts which will further alienate him and he is too good to risk on a maybe from Hurts.
I think it’s the other way around. I don’t think them going after Hurts depends on Tate. I think Tate trying to graduate depends on what he thinks the staff is doing with Hurts. It’s no secret that new coaches tend to make boneheaded decisions with players they didn’t recruit. Clearly there was a disconnect between Tate and the new staff. It’s also clear that Sumlin really wanted Hurts when he was at A&M. I think Sumlin’s gonna go hard after Hurts regardless of if it pisses off Tate. Basically I think Sumlin values Hurts higher than Tate.

FT35

Naperville
Bold Prediction: We still have a 5th horse in the running? Pretty interesting tweet on Tate from AZ today

This is a nice find. I heard he was 18 credits short which means he could take 15 hours in the Spring and 3 in the Summer. It will be interesting to see if he participates in Spring football for Arizona.

Does that mean he could be here in August?

I wonder if Ole Miss is a possible landing spot now that RichRod is there? From what I've heard Tate really likes Smith which would be the real draw to us.

I think it’s the other way around. I don’t think them going after Hurts depends on Tate. I think Tate trying to graduate depends on what he thinks the staff is doing with Hurts. It’s no secret that new coaches tend to make boneheaded decisions with players they didn’t recruit. Clearly there was a disconnect between Tate and the new staff. It’s also clear that Sumlin really wanted Hurts when he was at A&M. I think Sumlin’s gonna go hard after Hurts regardless of if it pisses off Tate. Basically I think Sumlin values Hurts higher than Tate.

That would be a massive gamble on Sumlin's part. If you think there is even a chance Tate may be your starter next year, you nurture that relationship as much as possible. He's easily your best QB option at this point, strained relationship and all.

That would be a massive gamble on Sumlin's part. If you think there is even a chance Tate may be your starter next year, you nurture that relationship as much as possible. He's easily your best QB option at this point, strained relationship and all.
You’re looking at it logically, something coaches aren’t necessarily known for lol.

Also, you gotta assume Sumlin knows Tate’s status in school and what he needs to graduate. He also already knows that Tate was considering transferring. Sumlin can do everything in his power to convince Tate to stay, and still get burned by a summer grad transfer while missing out on Hurts. Kind of a damned if you do damned if you don’t situation.

FT35

Naperville

It's no secret that Mazzone/Sumlin clashed with Tate this past year. They were trying to make him into a pocket passer which didn't make a whole lot of sense.

Given that, I'd be surprised if Hurts ends up there.

This is a nice find. I heard he was 18 credits short which means he could take 15 hours in the Spring and 3 in the Summer. ....
Career move. Work hard, take 18 in the spring, move to IL end of May. Monster fall. Get job.

Career move. Work hard, take 18 in the spring, move to IL end of May. Monster fall. Get job.
Yeah. If you’re 100% sure of transferring, just leave the team, cram your spring semester, and graduate in May. Assuming a manageable amount of credits, like 18, is truly what he has left.

illini80

Forgottonia
Sounds good, but if he's still with the team, 18 would be really tough with spring ball too.

This is a nice find. I heard he was 18 credits short which means he could take 15 hours in the Spring and 3 in the Summer. It will be interesting to see if he participates in Spring football for Arizona.

Does that mean he could be here in August?

If true he could be here in August or earlier as later posters suggestion to take 18 hours this Spring. 18 hours between now and August is easily doable

illini80

Forgottonia
If true he could be here in August or earlier as later posters suggestion to take 18 hours this Spring. 18 hours between now and August is easily doable
Doable in the classroom. I wonder how long it would take for NCAA to clear him? No idea how that works, but I can't imagine they do anything quickly.

Exactly. Why graduate in the summer if not looking to transfer? You only transfer if you are guaranteed starter and it helps your NFL stock. How many universities can take on a starting QB and feed them an entire offense within just several weeks of practice?

I’m thinking he may not get to play next season. Sumlin has to start building something and it likely won’t happen with Tate. He’s not quite sumlins style and l Sumlin has the most ridiculous QB tree several Heisman candidates and trophies and several first round draft picks.

Last edited:
I know at U of I, summer classes don't necessarily take the whole summer. Some classes only lasted a little over a month by meeting multiple times a week. Maybe take an online class at Arizona while living in Champaign?

FinalFour88

Charlotte, NC
Here's my logic. If we're really trying to win, I just have a hard time seeing IW being capable of being a full time passing QB right away, especially as he's not enrolling early. I'm sure we will use him as a wildcat-type at times and try to get him on the field in different ways.

And Rivers' lack of foot speed just makes our run game less threatening. It makes us easier to defend. I think he and Robinson were pretty close at that #2 spot last year, and Robinson will remain the better runner and will have developed his passing and understanding of the offense to a higher level now then when he'd only been here for a month.

To put the most positive spin on it, if Rivers keeps that job, it's going to be because of outstanding development as a passer. But my money is on the one dual threat we've got who projects to truly threaten the defense in both aspects.
I think IW should be the starter from Day 1.

The college game speed is going to very fast for him i think for the 3 games ( sould be wins) run a 2 qb system than the one who performance is better should have the spot for the rest of the season

The 2 QB system may be the best option all season

I think IW should be the starter from Day 1.

He will be a freshman. Never been to a university class before. Needs to know where the food service dining hall is. Needs a map to find his classes. Doesn't have a bicycle yet. Too young to have a beer and get away with it. Did I mention he will be a freshman?

BZuppke

Plainfield
For those thinking 6 wins in 2019 - we will either make little progress and win 4/5 games or make a leap forward and win 8. Imho I think this is the year we make our move. 8 plus wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.