Looking ahead to 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
What else would Hester say? Coach Smith drafted was the coach who drafted him, so obviously he saw something in him. Also during a lot of those years, Coach Smith was calling the defense. To think he was also playing a major role in the Special Teams is a little far fetched.

Tell Hester that.

FWIW- MiamiU ranked 1st in this statistic.
FWIW MiamiU is in Ohio.
---
I love that tweet from Carter. We will be so lucky when he gets back. Kid caught two touchdowns in his first game. JT caught five in the whole season at Miami. Getting Carter back will a bigger deal than the Thomas thing. I hope JT has a great season at Miami and that EC has an even better season here!

Deleted member 746094

D
Was that the post you were replying to?

In my previous post I said “MiamiU”. Ktal was kind enough to point out that MiamiU is in Ohio and the school I referenced in my first post should have been University of Miami.

Sorry for the confusion.

Deleted member 654622

D
I have a little inside info. Vederian Lowe got a new tattoo tonight. Quiet guy sat next to me while we got tattoos. Huge man.
Most important questions - What did you get? What did he get/where on his body?

Most important questions - What did you get? What did he get/where on his body?
I got a dragon on my arm. He was getting some vertical lettering on his upper arm. I didn't see what it said. He had one tattooed arm and none on the other.

Anybody get to watch Allegretti at the Senior Bowl? I missed it; havent seen any replays online yet.

Drafttek dropped him out of their top 400...Only because currently it goes to 396; he dropped to #400...

Last edited:

illini80

Forgottonia
Here is a set of preseason rankings. https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...63/2019-college-football-rankings-projections It indicates that we open the season against the 124th ranked team (Akron), the 129th ranked team (UConn), and the 96th ranked team (Eastern Michigan). Unlike the first three seasons under Lovie, when we barely won against this type of team, I think it's time for the Fighting Illini to show substantial improvement. Merely winning the games won't be enough. We need to utterly dominate these teams, build confidence and momentum, play lots of guys, have fun, and earn respect.

Here is a set of preseason rankings. https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...63/2019-college-football-rankings-projections It indicates that we open the season against the 124th ranked team (Akron), the 129th ranked team (UConn), and the 96th ranked team (Eastern Michigan). Unlike the first three seasons under Lovie, when we barely won against this type of team, I think it's time for the Fighting Illini to show substantial improvement. Merely winning the games won't be enough. We need to utterly dominate these teams, build confidence and momentum, play lots of guys, have fun, and earn respect.
agree to needing to dominate, but EM (ranked 96) is a "toss-up". they don't think much of Illini (thus agree with some posters glass is 3/4 empty vs. other posters, glass is half full and trending up) - either returns or recruits. Rank =91. Returning Production = 92 (so much for finally having upper classmen), Recruiting Impact = 56 (so much for adding a few play makers). 13th in big ten with large gap to 12th and 11th (24 and 33 spots) - so about 4-8 record. as a believer, my current guess is is 7-5 with a lot hinging on defense.
SEC: 6 of top 10, 10 of top 21??? 14 of top 53? Really??? Same as every pre-season and then the middle/bottom is mediocre at best. Just put 3 SEC teams + Clemson in the playoffs and skip the season

Deleted member 656517

D
7-5 regular season record with a dominating bowl win against a mid major after gaining some extra practice's how I see it shaking out

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
7-5 regular season record with a dominating bowl win against a mid major after gaining some extra practice's how I see it shaking out

I would love this. I am unnaturally pessimistic about the football program today. Most likely it’s based on how I think the off season coaching carousel has been a failure for us. (So far...we could still make a splash hire or have a great season so all this is moot!)

I hope to eat crow and be completely wrong but I feel like we are looking at the end of the Lovie era due to his own stubborn desire to force his square peg defense into the round hole college game.

I guess we will see!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Deleted member 654622

D
I hope to eat crow and be completely wrong but I feel like we are looking at the end of the Lovie era due to his own stubborn desire to force his square peg defense into the round hole college game.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I really wish we could stop this narrative. Please forgive me if I am wrong, but have posters not come on here and given examples of current defenses with the same scheme showing success in the college ranks?
The "bend but don't break" scheme is really predicated off the mistakes of the offense. It worked in the NFL, with professional football players. One would think that a college level player is going to make more mistakes....
If the defense does not succeed, it is not because of the scheme, it is because of the players. The players that the coach has developed, or lack there of, and put on the field. If it does not work, then Lovie is the square beg, not the scheme.

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
I really wish we could stop this narrative. Please forgive me if I am wrong, but have posters not come on here and given examples of current defenses with the same scheme showing success in the college ranks?
The "bend but don't break" scheme is really predicated off the mistakes of the offense. It worked in the NFL, with professional football players. One would think that a college level player is going to make more mistakes....
If the defense does not succeed, it is not because of the scheme, it is because of the players. The players that the coach has developed, or lack there of, and put on the field. If it does not work, then Lovie is the square beg, not the scheme.

I was under the impression that the scheme Lovie wants (while similar to others) requires a lot of one on one battles being won on the D-line and by the LBs in order to fill gaps/keep containment/pressure the ball/create those opportunities for offensive mistakes.

Other defenses/DCs might try to scheme around double teams, use a plethora of blitz packages, and use misdirection to try and confuse the other team. Also, lots of defenses are bend but don’t break, Lovie’s just broke a lot last year.

From my (self admitted) limited knowledge of this D, it works in the pros because you already have some of the best players money can buy playing for you. The talent disparity is not as large as it is in college. Thus, the one on one matchups have a favorable chance of success.

Hopefully the youth movement will lead to good players getting better in a system and being able to win those one on ones. If not, then it means our recruiting needs to take a step up and Lovie won’t survive that long if we are still getting blown out.

In the end, whether the scheme is the square peg or Lovie is, it won’t matter if we are getting dominated by peer schools. They will both be gone.

We will get our answer in 2019 as Lovie will be calling the D and there will be no more excuses.

Please oh please football gods...let our D improve.

I'm more of a basketball guy than a football guy. How's Illinois football looking for this year? Bowl game? Non-conference looks like it could be three wins.

I'm more of a basketball guy than a football guy. How's Illinois football looking for this year? Bowl game? Non-conference looks like it could be three wins.
Slightly improved, and maybe significantly improved. Will it translate into more wins? It's way too early to make predictions. Check back in late August. We'll have heard reports on how the freshmen are looking, we'll know if a highly rated TE transfer from Georgia has his waiver granted, if there are any other transfers, such as a really good QB from Arizona, if there are any key injuries and how the competition is looking.

I think the team has the necessary talent and health is always the question. By the USF game last year, we looked like a legit team. 4 receivers later and some coaching miscues and we got blown out in several games

Deleted member 654622

D
Slightly improved, and maybe significantly improved. Will it translate into more wins? It's way too early to make predictions. Check back in late August. We'll have heard reports on how the freshmen are looking, we'll know if a highly rated TE transfer from Georgia has his waiver granted, if there are any other transfers, such as a really good QB from Arizona, if there are any key injuries and how the competition is looking.
I think this is spot on

Status
Not open for further replies.