Looking ahead to 2020-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
DMW says, "Come by that again????"

I consider him and Allen wings. But we will also need guards who can score and Trent is the only guard who has proven he can do that.

The bigger deal is that Trent is the only person on our team who is currently proven to be able to create his own shot.

I consider him and Allen wings. But we will also need guards who can score and Trent is the only guard who has proven he can do that.

The bigger deal is that Trent is the only person on our team who is currently proven to be able to create his own shot.
Miller and Curbelo can create their own shots. Not proven at college level, but nonetheless, time will quickly prove that statement to be accurate.

Miller and Curbelo can create their own shots. Not proven at college level, but nonetheless, time will quickly prove that statement to be accurate.

this is why I’m saying the rankings are accurate for us preseason. Those guys need to prove themselves. And it will take time. I think it will happen, but they’ll need adjustment time, which will affect our record, which will lower our tourney seed.

But I think we’ll be good come March once we gel. What I was saying about impact guard transfers before is that will help us weather the storm of Miller/Curbelo adjusting. I just don’t know if I said it as clearly as I wanted to.

Forgot how quick Frank was. Monster defensively with offense. Also kept thinking watching the game how nice it would be to have Lucas Johnson at the four next year. Self had a little different team in his first year than BU.

this is why I’m saying the rankings are accurate for us preseason. Those guys need to prove themselves. And it will take time. I think it will happen, but they’ll need adjustment time, which will affect our record, which will lower our tourney seed.

But I think we’ll be good come March once we gel. What I was saying about impact guard transfers before is that will help us weather the storm of Miller/Curbelo adjusting. I just don’t know if I said it as clearly as I wanted to.
Assuming Hutch gives us some experience with Trent and Alan could play the two as well if required. No question imo that there will be a learning curve for both Miller/Curbelo though particularly on defense.

1-Frazier proven, Curbelo talent level sufficient to consider sure thing contributer.
2, Miller, talent level sufficient..., Frazier proven
3. Griffin proven, DaMonte proven, Grandison, Hutcherson 2nd year in system and maturity, Jones????
4. Giorgi 3rd year in system BBV, 2nd year in system, Hawkins proper skills, maturity, jump to D1 questionable. DaMonte and Griffin in 4 G lineup proven, Jones ???
5. Kofi proven, 2nd year in system, brings a + advantage in most games, Giorgi proven, 3rd year in system. Hamlin 2nd year in system

I feel that Underwood will not feel forced to have Giorgi and Kofi in lineup to start so if one of the typically sized 4's do not assert self 4 guard lineup will immediatley come into play. Very experienced in the 2-3 positions and the 4 guard lineup. Have enough size with Kofi and Giorgi for most teams. young talented guards will be challenged immediately and will have to prove themselves with quality depth at guard positions showing in practice. Any quality provided at the 4 position by the players with traditional size will make Illini hard to handle for any team in the country next season. Let's see who has the heart of a champion...Frazier a leader and...

1-Frazier proven, Curbelo talent level sufficient to consider sure thing contributer.
3. Griffin proven, DaMonte proven, Grandison, Hutcherson 2nd year in system and maturity, Jones????
4. Giorgi 3rd year in system BBV, 2nd year in system, Hawkins proper skills, maturity, jump to D1 questionable. DaMonte and Griffin in 4 G lineup proven, Jones ???
5. Kofi proven, 2nd year in system, brings a + advantage in most games, Giorgi proven, 3rd year in system. Hamlin 2nd year in system

I feel that Underwood will not feel forced to have Giorgi and Kofi in lineup to start so if one of the typically sized 4's do not assert self 4 guard lineup will immediatley come into play. Very experienced in the 2-3 positions and the 4 guard lineup. Have enough size with Kofi and Giorgi for most teams. young talented guards will be challenged immediately and will have to prove themselves with quality depth at guard positions showing in practice. Any quality provided at the 4 position by the players with traditional size will make Illini hard to handle for any team in the country next season. Let's see who has the heart of a champion...Frazier a leader and...
Would be great for Tevian to step up to the 4 position as his size and athleticism should allow him to play it defensively. I have to admit however that I am not expecting it. It would plug the largest depth hole in our roster if it did happen.

Would be great for Tevian to step up to the 4 position as his size and athleticism should allow him to play it defensively. I have to admit however that I am not expecting it. It would plug the largest depth hole in our roster if it did happen.
I personally feel Bernard Kourma a better chance to help next year...but if TJ stays and shows the heart of a champion...a Chris Gandy esque upperclass jump would be great. Definately not counting out BBV...

I think you tell Kofi to spend all summer working on his jump hook and passing out of double teams and surround him with whoever happens to be the 4 best shooters out of the above list. Should be fun to watch!

You can't be serious??!! I mean, I guess all positions are in flux because you want the best to play, but you saying Trent is at risk of losing his starting spot is in my mind...crazy!! The dude is a senior who has started 3 years now in the B1G. Has proven himself time and time again. He is a top defender, can shoot, makes good decisions with the ball, and has experience. That is leagues above any top freshman coming in other than say a Zion or Anthony Davis type player. I do think that Curbelo is the most likely freshman to play starter minutes/role which is very counter to many who believe Miller is a lock. I think that with Curbelo being able to break down the defense, lead a team, and find the right passing lanes to Kofi...his play with Kofi will be key to him breaking into the starting line-up. Miller is good, but I'm not yet convinced he plays a starter role...yet. Perhaps others have watched him over and over...but Curbelo's skills are more quickly transferable to the next level vs. Miller.

But let's be clear...Trent is going to start and is at no risk of not. If curbelo does impress, he'll displace Trent as the 1 and move trent over to more of a 2 guard position...but BU is not going to get Trent out of the starting line-up.
Personally i could care less who starts, but you have to admit this is not freshman Trent i love watching trent i dont know what your definition of can shoot is but if throwing up 3 bricks followed by a make than ok. I think the most important thing next year is who finishes the game on the floor

Personally i could care less who starts, but you have to admit this is not freshman Trent i love watching trent i dont know what your definition of can shoot is but if throwing up 3 bricks followed by a make than ok. I think the most important thing next year is who finishes the game on the floor
I thought it was obvious that Trent was completely wiped out from playing the point and stellar defense. Hopefully, Curbelo will adapt to the college game immediately and give valuable minutes at the point. I would be more worried about getting someone to match half of Dre’s production.

I thought it was obvious that Trent was completely wiped out from playing the point and stellar defense. Hopefully, Curbelo will adapt to the college game immediately and give valuable minutes at the point. I would be more worried about getting someone to match half of Dre’s production.
I get what you are saying, but how is this so much different than Trent's freshman year? He played the point and we played that pressure defense that surely took a lot out of him.

Now, last year, he mostly played the 2, with Ayo at the 1. And then this year, he was back at the 1, and was guarding great, but again, he has always had to guard people, even if he is better at it now.

How does our next year's team compare with thee 2001 team? Williams, Bradford, Cook, Griffin and company

March 23, 2001 - That time Frank Williams dropped 30 on Kansas in the Sweet 16.
I watched it just now. Great win, but the referees were crazy one-sided. If Kansas missed a shot the refs called a foul. 3 bigs foul out for the Illini. Looked like the Ohio St. game. PMO

jmilt7

Waukegan
I get what you are saying, but how is this so much different than Trent's freshman year? He played the point and we played that pressure defense that surely took a lot out of him.

Now, last year, he mostly played the 2, with Ayo at the 1. And then this year, he was back at the 1, and was guarding great, but again, he has always had to guard people, even if he is better at it now.
Actually, I just can't believe he is going to be a senior next year. Just seems like yesterday…

haasi

New York
Our 2020-21 roster less clear today than it was a week ago. Looking forward to seeing how things shape up.

I watched it just now. Great win, but the referees were crazy one-sided. If Kansas missed a shot the refs called a foul. 3 bigs foul out for the Illini. Looked like the Ohio St. game. PMO
If you think that Illinois v KU game was one-sided, go watch the next game v Arizona. Lute and Ole' Roy whined and whined about how physical we were. Ironic after how things subsequently went down in the NC game v UNC.

My favorite Illini in recent years: Trent. A Floridian, he chose Illinois, promoted the program, and is staying at Illinois. What a guy! He was there in the bad times; he's here in the good. My man! I posted a long time ago he was the heart and soul of Illini basketball; I still feel that way. I want to see you score a lot of points.

Now Da'Monte: work on that shot, maybe with Daddy! Otherwise, you're fine; keep up the defense. Thanks for your commitment to Illinois. You're a big part of next year's team.

Go varsity!

Last edited:
It's more rumors, but I have heard for a long time that Wieskamp is the guy not happy with Fran. Supposedly wanted to transfer last year, but Fran put a stop to it. Really faded the end of this year and a lot of bad body language with Fran.

Weiskamp looked like he quit on that team with several games to go. Played with zero aggression.

Status
Not open for further replies.