Looking ahead to 2020-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you think that Illinois v KU game was one-sided, go watch the next game v Arizona. Lute and Ole' Roy whined and whined about how physical we were. Ironic after how things subsequently went down in the NC game v UNC.

let’s not ignore the fact that Gilbert Arenas absolutely abused us in the first half of that game. And that Corey bradford was the only starter who showed up (22pts). Arch had 25 and we all know he wasn’t there to score 25. Frankie had 9 and Brian Cook had 4.

Moving forward, what do we think our offense looks like next year? More spread without Ayo? Stick with the weave to get kofi in P/Rs off the handoffs? Ayo is so ball dominant and deservedly so, I think we get back to more of what BU does next year.

Whitney, Carton adds with Whitney talking Omoruyi (Antigua lead on this-he is announcing this sunday) into joining us as well. That would be one hell of a haul to add to Miller/Curbelo/Hawkins!

Full disclosure we probably won't get these guys....drank the last half.....lol.

Last edited:
Sorry if mentioned already, but is Kofi staying?

No clue. But, I do believe he is the key to any success. Whether Ayo stays or goes and we get Miller we will be good if Kofi is playing for the Illini.

Immediately, you’ve got Trent, Damonte, and Kofi. Not a bad start. Fill in with Miller and possibly Ayo, Giorgi, Curbelo, and if one of Hutch/Grandison can play well, we will be able to compete within the conference again. Another piece or two who develops or joins up, I believe we can battle at the very top of the conference.

Go Illini

My favorite Illini in recent years: Trent. A Floridian, he chose Illinois, promoted the program, and is staying at Illinois. What a guy! He was there in the bad times; he's here in the good. My man! I posted a long time ago he was the heart and soul of Illini basketball; I still feel that way. I want to see you score a lot of points.

Can't emphasize enough how critical he's been to the program. It takes a team, but culture is very much an individual buy-in. We see guys who give it everything, and guys who struggle. Trent is one of those guys who stuck it out through the hard times, helped turn it around, and now will have that experience for the rest of his life.

There's been a lot to celebrate. For example, Giorgi may have struggled this year at the four, but for sure he's a really positive, steadying glue guy that has stretched his skills to help the team. I give him a ton of credit even as I look at some frustration on the court. Ayo is another guy who's out there giving it 100%+ through adversity and the extreme demands of a star player. Feliz is an absolute warrior. Fearless, won't give up, and doesn't get down on the team. And Kofi? Holy crap! There's no way you take Kofi the recruit, and project him into the fitness and power and defensive anchor he's become. Giorgi worked with him a ton. Was hoping to add AG to this list, but he's thinking the grass is greener elsewhere.

Anyway, very enjoyable season. Kudos to them all, but a special shout-out to Trent for helping with the foundation. Really looking forward to '20-21

Worst case scenario right now: Frazier, Miller, Williams, Grandison and Kofi with Giorgi, Curbelo and Hutcherson coming off the bench. That is a good enough lineup for a tournament team and an exciting team.

Keep those 8 pieces and add a guard and a forward then we could challenge for the Big Ten Title

let’s not ignore the fact that Gilbert Arenas absolutely abused us in the first half of that game. And that Corey bradford was the only starter who showed up (22pts). Arch had 25 and we all know he wasn’t there to score 25. Frankie had 9 and Brian Cook had 4.

Moving forward, what do we think our offense looks like next year? More spread without Ayo? Stick with the weave to get kofi in P/Rs off the handoffs? Ayo is so ball dominant and deservedly so, I think we get back to more of what BU does next year.
Cook played just 10 minutes and fouled out. Tough to score from the bench! Damir played just 13 minutes and fouled out. Sergio fouled out. Griff fouled out. Lucas fouled out. Arch fouled out. We had 36 fouls, they had 23!! They had nobody foul out and only one guy, Richard Jefferson, with 4 fouls.

So yeah, let's not ignore Arenas having a good half. The absolute most poorly ref'd game, along with the Washington 2nd round game in 2006, that I can remember. Thankfully we paid those weasels back big time 4 years later.

Last edited:
Worst case scenario right now: Frazier, Miller, Williams, Grandison and Kofi with Giorgi, Curbelo and Hutcherson coming off the bench. That is a good enough lineup for a tournament team and an exciting team.

Keep those 8 pieces and add a guard and a forward then we could challenge for the Big Ten Title
Thinking Trent to be the Alpha next year. He was the one to take charge his freshman year (still remember the shot to take us to ot against Iowa). We will be competitive without AG as we have depth there but he will be missed. Kofi leaving is the only death sentence. Just don’t know on the 4. Could be improvement from Giorgi, BBV a surprise, Hawkins ready. Or Grandison playing big. Won’t know until November.

Thinking Trent to be the Alpha next year. He was the one to take charge his freshman year (still remember the shot to take us to ot against Iowa). We will be competitive without AG as we have depth there but he will be missed. Kofi leaving is the only death sentence. Just don’t know on the 4. Could be improvement from Giorgi, BBV a surprise, Hawkins ready. Or Grandison playing big. Won’t know until November.

I would love for Trent to be the Alpha next year. His freshman year showed he can get buckets. I know he has deferred to other players but I don't see why he couldn't take 8 more shots a game. As of right now, maybe a combo of any 2 of those 4. Imagine if Grandison played big and Giorgi improved or if Giorgi improved and Hawkins came ready to play 12 minutes.

Cook played just 10 minutes and fouled out. Tough to score from the bench! Damir played just 13 minutes and fouled out. Sergio fouled out. Griff fouled out. Lucas fouled out. Arch fouled out. We had 36 fouls, they had 23!! They had nobody foul out and only one guy, Richard Jefferson, with 4 fouls.

So yeah, let's not ignore Arenas having a good half. The absolute most poorly ref'd game, along with the Washington 2nd round game in 2006, that I can remember. Thankfully we paid those weasels back big time 4 years later.

The identity of that 2001 team defensively was big, physical and deep. They averaged 22+ fouls per game. But Gilbert Arenas came out guns blazing and they had us on our heels within the first couple minutes. We were playing catch-up all night and when you do that you have to be more aggressive and end up fouling more.

To get back on topic, we’re gonna need Trent (vocal) and kofi (example) to be our leaders. Giorgi can also fill both those roles provided he gets out of his slump. It’s good to hear that hutch and grand are lookin good for us. I liked hutch’s film but wasn’t sure on grandson. The fact that he might be the better of the 2 and it’s not because hutch is struggling is comforting to me.

One more thing: Wiki says Trent stayed at Illinois after Groce was fired because of his (Trent's) "connections" to his teammates and ... because Coach Brad recruited him when BU was coach at SFA. Interesting.

I previously posted that Trent is my favorite Illini of recent years. Yes. But add he's one of my favorites ALL-TIME.

Last edited:

JFGsCoffeeMug

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago
Robert is right. Jacob "Granderson" and Austin "Hutchison" will be the latest chapter in the ongoing saga of Andres "Felix," "Allen" Griffin, "Georgi" Bezhanishvili, "Miles" Leonard, Bruce "Webber," and many others I've probably long since forgotten.

I think AustinIllini is onto something. If we just shorten their names to "Grand" and "Hutch," then we should be alright. Nice thinking.

Robert is right. Jacob "Granderson" and Austin "Hutchison" will be the latest chapter in the ongoing saga of Andres "Felix," "Allen" Griffin, "Georgi" Bezhanishvili, "Miles" Leonard, Bruce "Webber," and many others I've probably long since forgotten.

I think AustinIllini is onto something. If we just shorten their names to "Grand" and "Hutch," then we should be alright. Nice thinking.
To this day I’m having trouble remembering the first names and proper pronunciation of the last ones. Hopefully their play next year boosts my memory haha 😈

"Tracey" Abrams approves of this message.

One more thing: Wiki says Trent stayed at Illinois after Groce was fired because of his (Trent's) "connections" to his teammates and ... because Coach Brad recruited him when BU was coach at SFA. Interesting.

I previously posted that Trent is my favorite Illini of recent years. Yes. But add he's one of my favorites ALL-TIME.

Does it say anything about the Urbana cheerleader??

I can see him playing the point.

Only one playing the point is the MOM...
1585266477213.png

Status
Not open for further replies.