Looking ahead to 2020-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying not to think too much about next year's team because the roster is not set yet. But I did some day dreaming today about some guys that we know for sure will be here. I can't wait to see what we look like offensively.

Kofi Cockburn: We all know the potential is through the roof. He had a good year and I feel like he barely scratched the surface of what he's capable of. Oturu averaged 11 and 7 his freshman year. He jumped up to 20 and 11 this season. Kofi averaged 13 and 9. I expect Kofi to make just as big a jump as Oturu, if not more. And if that happens, he will certainly get drafted next year.

Andre Curbelo: IMO he will be the biggest influence on how good we are. Why? Because that's how impactful true PGs are. It's hard to predict how good a true PG will be his freshman year. They depend on seeing the whole court, making the right decision at the right time, and controlling the tempo. Those are tough things to do when the college game is so much faster and the defense is so much better than high school. Cassius only averaged 7pts and 5 asts in 20 min his freshman year. That would be fine for Andre, and leave us excited for his sophomore year. But what if he skips that adjustment period and has Cassius' soph year numbers? 13 pts 7 asts would be great and the team's ceiling would be much higher.

Adam Miller: IMO he's the closest recruit we've had to Luther. Athletic wing that can light it up from deep, but still has the ball handling and playmaking ability to get points at the rim with 3 or 4 asts per game as well. Another comparison would be Gary Harris. Hopefully he stays longer than Gary did at MSU. I could see Miller getting treated similarly to Griffin. Occasional spark off the bench, but a little wild sometimes and BU would rather let Kofi and Trent do the scoring and Damonte and some older transfers play D. That being said, he has the potential to come in and avg 15+ ppg and be a reliable scorer for us night in and night out.

Adam Miller: Hopefully he stays longer than Gary did at MSU. I could see Miller getting treated similarly to Griffin. Occasional spark off the bench, but a little wild sometimes and BU would
From all available indications, Miller plans to be a one and done. He is also going to start...no bench role for him.

If Ayo does go Pro (again, a win/win in my eyes) I’m starting to think by the time the B1G schedule is in full swing, our most frequently played lineup will be:

Curbelo
Frazier
Miller
Damonte
Kofi

Why, I think Trent will settle in with Curbelo as the primary ball handler. Trent was asked to do a ton this year by becoming the primary ball handler as the season progressed and having to be the teams high effort individual defender. I could see his offensive output taking a large step if he can breathe a little more on offense and work off of Curbelo.

If Ayo is back, I’ll save my predictions of grandeur for a later date to see how we fill out. I think we already have the pieces to compete in the B1G and playing for a Sweet 16 spot. We will see...

Go Illini

Depending on match ups, I look for Grandison to start and Curbelo to back up Frazier at the point.

Robert is right. Jacob "Granderson" and Austin "Hutchison" will be the latest chapter in the ongoing saga of Andres "Felix," "Allen" Griffin, "Georgi" Bezhanishvili, "Miles" Leonard, Bruce "Webber," and many others I've probably long since forgotten.

I think AustinIllini is onto something. If we just shorten their names to "Grand" and "Hutch," then we should be alright. Nice thinking.
Or Jake and Oz. What do their teammates call them?

Depending on match ups, I look for Grandison to start and Curbelo to back up Frazier at the point.
Isn’t it Hutch at the guard and Grand as the forward? Thought Grand was possible 4.

I'm trying not to think too much about next year's team because the roster is not set yet. But I did some day dreaming today about some guys that we know for sure will be here. I can't wait to see what we look like offensively.

Kofi Cockburn: We all know the potential is through the roof. He had a good year and I feel like he barely scratched the surface of what he's capable of. Oturu averaged 11 and 7 his freshman year. He jumped up to 20 and 11 this season. Kofi averaged 13 and 9. I expect Kofi to make just as big a jump as Oturu, if not more. And if that happens, he will certainly get drafted next year.

Andre Curbelo: IMO he will be the biggest influence on how good we are. Why? Because that's how impactful true PGs are. It's hard to predict how good a true PG will be his freshman year. They depend on seeing the whole court, making the right decision at the right time, and controlling the tempo. Those are tough things to do when the college game is so much faster and the defense is so much better than high school. Cassius only averaged 7pts and 5 asts in 20 min his freshman year. That would be fine for Andre, and leave us excited for his sophomore year. But what if he skips that adjustment period and has Cassius' soph year numbers? 13 pts 7 asts would be great and the team's ceiling would be much higher.

Adam Miller: IMO he's the closest recruit we've had to Luther. Athletic wing that can light it up from deep, but still has the ball handling and playmaking ability to get points at the rim with 3 or 4 asts per game as well. Another comparison would be Gary Harris. Hopefully he stays longer than Gary did at MSU. I could see Miller getting treated similarly to Griffin. Occasional spark off the bench, but a little wild sometimes and BU would rather let Kofi and Trent do the scoring and Damonte and some older transfers play D. That being said, he has the potential to come in and avg 15+ ppg and be a reliable scorer for us night in and night out.

I will be very pleasantly surprised if the incoming freshman duo of Curbelo and Miller are better than Feliz and Ayo were this year.

They don’t have to be. They’ll be different. That can be a good thing. But, I do believe they’ll be better in two key areas which will make those around them better. If Ayo’s back too. If.

Go Illini

Their games are quite different. In terms of impact, that's a very high bar. If they can come close, we're cooking with gas.
Beat to it, Joel. Different in a couple areas can make the world of a difference. Positive or negative in fairness. But, I’m leaning toward positive impact right now.

Miller went to Peoria Manual and started as a freshman. You don't play much, let alone start, at Manual if you don't play defense. AG didn't play more due to his defense. Miller will play much more than AG and IMO will start, since we need the offensive production he can deliver.

Kofi's ability to get drafted depends on his outside shot being solid. He needs to be good from at least 15' to get drafted, unless he becomes completely unstoppable inside, Shaq-like.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Kofi's ability to get drafted depends on his outside shot being solid. He needs to be good from at least 15' to get drafted, unless he becomes completely unstoppable inside, Shaq-like.

Kofi needs to advance his shooting and several other offensive attributes. But he really showed the doubters with his FT shooting (I was one, FWIW). Staying out of foul trouble too! He's got great hands and great drive. He's gets it. I'm expecting big gains.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.