Looking ahead to 2020-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Their games are quite different. In terms of impact, that's a very high bar. If they can come close, we're cooking with gas.
I think the key is that they don't have to be as good as the guys going out, to remain in the race for a B1G title. Everyone else on the roster should improve. I think Kofi ill be a B1G POY candidate. Trent, DMFW, Giorgi, Hutch, Grand will wall be 3rd and 4th year players. Experience matters, and this will be the most veteran team the Illini have had in quite a few years.
This is not to say I'm not excited about the freshmen, but they don't have to play program savior. The program is on solid footing.

Kofi needs to advance his shooting and several other offensive attributes. But he really showed the doubters with his FT shooting (I was one, FWIW). Staying out of foul trouble too! He's got great hands and great drive. He's gets it. I'm expecting big gains.
I agree, Kofi is such a willing learner, it's awesome. He's going to make strides, no doubt in my mind. Great, great kid!

Miller went to Peoria Manual and started as a freshman. You don't play much, let alone start, at Manual if you don't play defense. AG didn't play more due to his defense. Miller will play much more than AG and IMO will start, since we need the offensive production he can deliver.

Kofi's ability to get drafted depends on his outside shot being solid. He needs to be good from at least 15' to get drafted, unless he becomes completely unstoppable inside, Shaq-like.
There’s a big difference in the high school and college levels when it comes to defending, especially off the ball. Regardless of how good of a defender he may be in high school, there is a learning curve for all freshmen when it comes to team defense.

sacraig

The desert
Yes. Grandson projects as a 4.

giphy.gif

This team is not the same talent level as Trent, Ayo, and Giorgi joined. The freshmen will play but the upper class men will dominate. I am not trying to demean the freshmen as they are very talented but they are competing with talented players with experience. They will contribute but the upper class men will have to carry the weight. This means Kofi, Trent, DaMonte, Giorgi, Grandison, and Hutcherson must all improve. However do not think that is a stretch as they are all winners and will do what is required. Just means a chemistry change from last year.

...They will contribute but the upper class men will have to carry the weight. This means Kofi, Trent, DaMonte, Giorgi, Grandison, and Hutcherson must all improve. However do not think that is a stretch as they are all winners and will do what is required. Just means a chemistry change from last year.

Ah yes, different chemical compounds will result in a different chemistry.

Chemistry is such a fun thing to watch as it develops into a full reaction. What would you say is the reaction equation for next season?

TREnt + DM + GIOrGIO + KoFi - AyO - DREfeliz - KNi - AG - TEv + DREcurbelo + Hu + Gr + COh + ACEwolf + 2X+ = FF4

Last edited:
Ah yes, different chemical compounds will result in a different chemistry.

Chemistry is such a fun thing to watch as it develops into a full reaction. What would you say is the reaction equation for next season?

TREnt + DM + GIOrGIO + KoFi - AyO - DREfeliz - KNi - AG - TEv + DREcurbelo + Hu + Gr + COh + ACEwolf + 2X+ = FF4

This. This is what happens when we live in quarantine.

Just something I think will be a difference maker in the 20-21 season = look for DMW to become an offensive factor to go along with his D.

Senior leadership mentality will kick in imo....he shows the form, and it did kick in late in the season.
Agree. When he drives, I’d like to see him create contact instead of avoiding it. His baseline drives were turnover heavy.

Just something I think will be a difference maker in the 20-21 season = look for DMW to become an offensive factor to go along with his D.
II think the best realistic scenario for DMW to be an offensive factor is for him to average about 6 points per game, shoot 30-35% from 3 (35% is probably unlikely, but not completely out of the realm of possibility) and be a guy who gets or creates one or two easy buckets a game from passing or cutting off the ball or offensive rebounds. I don’t think he’s going to turn into a guy who scores in double figures or creates for himself or others off the dribble. But he can have value as a guy who understands the offense, keeps the ball moving, makes open jumpers at a respectable clip, and helps find some opportunistic easy buckets for the team.

The Georgi/Kofi bond continues to build, and they both are much better. I love those guys interacting with each other.

Agree. When he drives, I’d like to see him create contact instead of avoiding it. His baseline drives were turnover heavy.
I felt like this was a team issue last season. I felt like the players tried to shoot around the defender too much. Go up, and get the foul. Too much switching hands, and adjusting mid-air. Go up, and if the defenders hands or arms are in the way take the foul.

I felt like this was a team issue last season. I felt like the players tried to shoot around the defender too much. Go up, and get the foul. Too much switching hands, and adjusting mid-air. Go up, and if the defenders hands or arms are in the way take the foul.
Needed to watch Dre. He would take the contact and get off the shot. He would get stuffed at times but not frequently

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Needed to watch Dre. He would take the contact and get off the shot. He would get stuffed at times but not frequently

Feliz is so crafty. His knack for finding/making space down low is insanely high. Out of all the returnees, I really think some of Dre's skills can be picked up by DMW. If he can add better penetration/finishing to his game, that could be an offensive game changer.

Feliz is so crafty. His knack for finding/making space down low is insanely high. Out of all the returnees, I really think some of Dre's skills can be picked up by DMW. If he can add better penetration/finishing to his game, that could be an offensive game changer.
In over 57 years of watching college BB, I have never seen anyone with Dre's "below the rim step back layup" done as often and as cleverly as he did. Garris could do it occasionally but Dre would do it 3-4 times a game.

Seriously, there were times I felt sorry for the big man.

I don’t think it’s realistic to expect a guy who’s shown almost no ability to penetrate in his first three years to add that to his game in his senior year. My hope is that Da’Monte can become a respectable spot up shooter, which is a realistic goal in my opinion.

I think Curbelo is the most likely guy to replace Feliz’s ability to get in the lane and finish. There may be an adjustment period, but eventually I think this will be a part of his game. And I also expect him to be better than Feliz at getting in the lane and dishing to a big or a shooter when the help defense comes.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
I don’t think it’s realistic to expect a guy who’s shown almost no ability to penetrate in his first three years to add that to his game in his senior year. My hope is that Da’Monte can become a respectable spot up shooter, which is a realistic goal in my opinion.

I think Curbelo is the most likely guy to replace Feliz’s ability to get in the lane and finish. There may be an adjustment period, but eventually I think this will be a part of his game. And I also expect him to be better than Feliz at getting in the lane and dishing to a big or a shooter when the help defense comes.

I was referring to the returnees. I'm higher than high on Curbelo. He'll cut through the D like a hot knife through butter. Break out the popcorn!

As to Williams, is it reasonable to expect him to become Feliz-like down low? Of course not. But can he incorporate some of Feliz' penetration skills into his game? I think so. Williams has the physical attributes to up his penetration game (yeah, that sounds bad, lol)

Last edited:

Rad

Nashville, TN
We need to hope Curbelo's passing and setting up teammates to score will rub off on Trent. I appreciate Trent's hustle on defense and commitment to the Illini but he is very lacking when it comes to these skills. If Ayo leaves we will sorely miss his and Feliz playmaking skills otherwise. Trent did not make many turnovers which was good but one of the main reasons was that he was almost always slowing the team down and resetting the offense. He is also not very good at feeding the post. I am concerned that these issues will become issues for our ability to score enough with who we expect to return.

I was referring to the returnees. I'm higher than high on Curbelo. He'll cut through the D like a hot knife through butter. Break out the popcorn!

As to Williams, is it reasonable to expect him to become Feliz-like down low? Of course not. But can he incorporate some of Feliz' penetration skills into his game? I think so. Williams has the physical attributes to up his penetration game (yeah, that sounds bad, lol)
It has appeared to me that many frosh with the quickness to get to the rim have trouble finishing. Not sure that is experience, strength, skill or ? Kemba Walker was like that as a freshmen. Maybe Curbelo will be ahead of the curve as he seems quicker than Dre to me. Really do not remember that as a problem with Dee but do not remember him taking it into traffic. He always seemed to be ahead of the traffic. Dre’s build is very different from Trents and has a lot more bulk to hold players off and get the shot up. Ayo did it with length and athletic ability. DaMonte made great moves a couple of times but didn’t always finish. Maybe Gentry can help with that. Don’t think we always appreciate his athletic ability but he is so smooth in his movements that it goes unnoticed. Not sure he was encouraged to do that as it wasn’t his role but next years roles will be different.

Status
Not open for further replies.