Looking ahead to 2020-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
247 Sports is stating BU thinks we are in a really good place as far as Hutch and Grand, with relation to Jones/Griffin departing. Their incoming stats support the narrative that they can replace what we are losing, we will see?

Part of the article of interest however is a statement by BU saying the team planned ahead with these two guys and now they have the "possibility to be a part of this" meaning roster/team? Makes you ponder what may still occur.

https://www.si.com/college/illinois...underwood-transfers-next-season-march-29-2020

Losing Tyler was more of a setback than Jones. The two transfers will most likely be able to make up for Alan.

Losing Tyler was more of a setback than Jones. The two transfers will most likely be able to make up for Alan.
We are losing 40 pts a game almost 50% of mins and 16 rebounds a game, 4 of the 8 man rotation. Adding probably 4 to the rotation in Miller, Curbelo, Hutch, and Grandison. Optimistic to think we will be better but I like our chances but don’t expect high ratings to start season.

This is a little tangential to the conversation, but who have we had as an Illini that plays above the rim? It always seems like we have these players who play below the rim (which I'm assuming is like 90% of players in general), but I can't remember us getting our fair share of these freak athletes who just jump out of the gym. Luther Head is one that comes to mind. Alan Griffin had some explosiveness as well, but wouldn't say he's the cream of the crop...but still more than what we have.

Just seems like when it would be a dunk on a Duke team or UNC team...our guys choose to layup or throw up a simple..but effective dunk. I would love to see an athlete on our roster that will go up and just grab a pass by Curbelo and just slam it down! Helps with rebounding, some defense, and just always have wanted to see an Illini do that.

I was referring to the returnees. I'm higher than high on Curbelo. He'll cut through the D like a hot knife through butter. Break out the popcorn!

As to Williams, is it reasonable to expect him to become Feliz-like down low? Of course not. But can he incorporate some of Feliz' penetration skills into his game? I think so. Williams has the physical attributes to up his penetration game (yeah, that sounds bad, lol)
I share your optimism regarding Curbelo's offensive ability. I think defensively he is a question mark at the B10 level. I hope he adapts quickly!

This is a little tangential to the conversation, but who have we had as an Illini that plays above the rim? It always seems like we have these players who play below the rim (which I'm assuming is like 90% of players in general), but I can't remember us getting our fair share of these freak athletes who just jump out of the gym. Luther Head is one that comes to mind. Alan Griffin had some explosiveness as well, but wouldn't say he's the cream of the crop...but still more than what we have.

Just seems like when it would be a dunk on a Duke team or UNC team...our guys choose to layup or throw up a simple..but effective dunk. I would love to see an athlete on our roster that will go up and just grab a pass by Curbelo and just slam it down! Helps with rebounding, some defense, and just always have wanted to see an Illini do that.

So something like this?

kofi.jpg

Our freak athlete is 7' tall and 290 lbs, and likely the envy of every coach in the league. As long as he wears Orange and blue, the Illini will be relevant.

We are losing 40 pts a game almost 50% of mins and 16 rebounds a game, 4 of the 8 man rotation. Adding probably 4 to the rotation in Miller, Curbelo, Hutch, and Grandison. Optimistic to think we will be better but I like our chances but don’t expect high ratings to start season.

TRank has us pre season 10th in the B1G. Based on that we need a couple more transfers that could contribute.

I get everyone is preparing for Ayo to leave but right now it is 50/50. with or without him we will be very talented and a top 25 team. if he leaves we will get a transfer or two to impact right away. Imagine a Trent/miller/carton/curbelo guard rotation.

This team is not the same talent level as Trent, Ayo, and Giorgi joined. The freshmen will play but the upper class men will dominate. I am not trying to demean the freshmen as they are very talented but they are competing with talented players with experience. They will contribute but the upper class men will have to carry the weight. This means Kofi, Trent, DaMonte, Giorgi, Grandison, and Hutcherson must all improve. However do not think that is a stretch as they are all winners and will do what is required. Just means a chemistry change from last year.
1) Kofi is not an upperclassman; 2) I believe you are wrong on the freshmen. Both guards will be big time contributors. IMO both will be top 5 in offensive stats.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
Kofi needs to advance his shooting and several other offensive attributes. But he really showed the doubters with his FT shooting (I was one, FWIW). Staying out of foul trouble too! He's got great hands and great drive. He's gets it. I'm expecting big gains.
IF the only thing Kofi developed this offseason, is breaking his habit of bringing the ball back down when he gets it in the block, that's good enough for me. He gave away so many baskets/turnovers doing that alone. He will be a force next year.

I think some you should watch some tape on Hutcherson and Grandison. Both of them seems like they can shoot. With a year in the system and the hunger now to get on the floor, I think they are going to play a lot more minutes than people think and probably start over the Freshman.

It used to be common. I don’t recall when rule was changed.
They put the restricted area in a few years ago. Of course that only applies to the secondary defender. If you are the primary, you can still draw a charge, although that would be rare.

I think some you should watch some tape on Hutcherson and Grandison. Both of them seems like they can shoot. With a year in the system and the hunger now to get on the floor, I think they are going to play a lot more minutes than people think and probably start over the Freshman.
Quick YouTube search did not yield much for Grandison. Where have you seen film of him?

It used to be common. I don’t recall when rule was changed.
What was rare was seeing it called on a dunk. Technically, since he still had the ball when he made contact with the defender, it should have been waived off (ignoring whether charge was in fact the right call instead of a block).

1) Kofi is not an upperclassman; 2) I believe you are wrong on the freshmen. Both guards will be big time contributors. IMO both will be top 5 in offensive stats.
Absolutely believe they will contribute and may be top five offensively but they have to play defense and usually not easy for freshman. Don’t believe BU is going to change to offense travels. Kofi is not a freshman and that counts for me.

Quick YouTube search did not yield much for Grandison. Where have you seen film of him?

Grandison I believe will be our starting 4 with DMW moving to the "3" position with Miller and Trent starting as well with Kofi.

Hutcherson (assumes the Griffin role) Curbelo spells Trent, Giorgi for Kofi and BBV/ (if he is here) and Hawkins/Hamlin providing limited minute relief.

Hutcherson is not even close to the line in most of these and he creates as well....might be a surprise for us fans?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.