Looking ahead to 2020-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
He may be more valuable in this laundry list of intangibles but one place he wasn't more valuable than AG last season was on the floor. There's no tangible metric you can use to say Trent was better. It's not even really close.

Was he the year before? Better yet how does he rank Trent's freshman year vs AG freshman year?

One of the most unselfish kids I have ever met. Having a huge freshmen year then being told you aren't the go-to guy anymore, most kids would have transferred...

Amen and most of us would be crying why o why is he leaving....Trent is an ILLINI fan favorite now and maybe not in Dee Brown category but he will not ever be forgotten for his play or what he meant to the program. An out of state kid who made a difference AND stuck it out through coaches/position needs/player changes...C'mon, Dee can't even boast that. I love both of them as beacons for our program.

Can't be stated enough how vital Trent has been to this rebuild.

He is sometimes the forgotten piece, but if you go back and watch the film you will see just how many game-winning plays this kid makes.

One of the most unselfish kids I have ever met. Having a huge freshmen year then being told you aren't the go-to guy anymore, most kids would have transferred...

This is spot on!! If anybody could have transferred it would have been Trent. He stayed the course after he committed to Groce (thanks to Whitman for holding that together), wanted to transfer after his first BIG game vs NW at Rosemont (0 points/10 minutes), had never seen snow, and had a lot of family back in Florida that missed him. Hats off to Trent for staying the course and being a great ambassador to the University of Illinois. !!

If the role Trent took on went unnoticed by some, that’s too bad. Doesn’t change the impact his willingness to take a backseat offensively by improving ball security one bit. Wouldn’t have been the same team without him. Needless to say, players who are uncomfortable (noticeably) putting the ball on the floor under pressure would have seen their productivity/efficiency decrease naturally.

My opinion, Trent’s role was one of the most impactful efforts that lead to this teams turnaround. Seemed clear to me watching.

Griffins a gifted shooter and great offensive rebounder. Can’t take that away. I believe that is replaceable this year. We will see... Griffin deserves credit for what he did this year.

Thank God we have Trent Frazier.

Go Illini

It’s great that he’s stuck it out, but he’s a liability on the offense I’ve end off he shoots like he did last year and I really hope if he is shooting like this again, Brad isn’t giving him minutes that Andre should be getting. If we lose ayo, we need offense from somewhere.

Losing 60% (if Ayo goes) of our scoring offense is a terribly tough job to replace. And that's from an offense that was 2nd to last in the BIG 10. Maybe that's why TRank has us predicted for 10th place in the BIG.

Ms. Griffin?!?

If....and I over emphasize "if"....this was actually the case....there is zero chance that AG isn't starting every game...and there is zero chance he leaves the program.

Trent's defense is literally light years better than AG. Tangible. When Trent was moved to PG after the first part of the season....our entire season flipped script.
Zero turnovers in a game is tangible.

If you are only looking at shooting % and rebounds.....Trent isn't going to stand out this year because of his move to primary PG. Literally every other thing Trent did on the floor was better. Significantly better.

If what you are suggesting is actually true...then you are really saying that putting AG at PG this year would have resulted in a better outcome.

Welcome to Loyalty AG's mom!
Another tangible (or an extension of one you already gave — Trent had 28 turnovers in 943 minutes; AG had 23 in 506 minutes. I like AG but there is more to the game than shooting — especially in the B1G. Sorry to see him go but much easier to handle his departure than it would be Trent’s.

It’s great that he’s stuck it out, but he’s a liability on the offense I’ve end off he shoots like he did last year and I really hope if he is shooting like this again, Brad isn’t giving him minutes that Andre should be getting. If we lose ayo, we need offense from somewhere.
Without Trent getting the ball where it needed to go, this year would not have gone well.

Deleted member 29907

D
I love people don’t understand the difference in positions. Griffin can’t play point guard. That’s why Frazier has played more.
I love people who don't understand basketball. If AG were better than Trent, he'd have been on the court more often. We had more than one capable point guard - Ayo and AF say hi. So, hmmm, perhaps if your theory was correct - you let AF or Ayo take the point more and move Trent to the bench so you could bring AG in.

I know that sounds a bit complicated, but I hope I explained how to put players on the court who are better and can contribute more than others.... do you understand that there is a defensive side of the court?

Net is - If AG was as good as Trent at his own position he would have played more than he did. And you're the one who started the comparison between positions champ.

Deleted member 29907

D
You forgot to contribute the kind of pressure defensively Trent may have been under compared to what AG was under when TO were created. The primary ball handler usually faces much more intense pressure more often than any other player, except possibly a double team Kofi maybe?
And Trent is often asked to guard one of the tougher team's player. Which takes its toll. There's a reason Izzo often had Winston guard an off player - saving him for offense.

And Trent is often asked to guard one of the tougher team's player. Which takes its toll. There's a reason Izzo often had Winston guard an off player - saving him for offense.
Watch the last play of the Iowa game. The play was not designed to go to Garza but rather to Fredrick to shoot a 3 for the win from in front of the Iowa bench. Trent is on Fredrick. Iowa has their 3 biggest players on the floor to set screens and Trent blows up all 3 screens. Watch the Iowa high lites on youtube. AG would not be able to do that.

jmilt7

Waukegan
Also in regards to the ongoing discussion about Trent vs AG turnovers, don't the numbers cited indicate that Trent has fewer turnovers per amount of time played?

Deleted member 29907

D
Watch the last play of the Iowa game. The play was not designed to go to Garza but rather to Fredrick to shoot a 3 for the win from in front of the Iowa bench. Trent is on Fredrick. Iowa has their 3 biggest players on the floor to set screens and Trent blows up all 3 screens. Watch the Iowa high lites on youtube. AG would not be able to do that.
And.... he was on him like a cheap suit the entire game - to the point of drawing a frustration foul, a technical and a post game whine from Fredrick.

Does anyone remember that during the for game losing streak Trent was in early foul trouble several times. Did Alan being in foul trouble ever hurt the Illini? Trent was much more important tent to the team success.

ESPN (+) just released an article: Ranking the top 25 players in college basketball for 2020-21 (Link Here)

It assumes that a number of players return that more than likely will declare (I.e., Luka Garza), but our guy Ayo comes in at #8. I thought there might be a chance Kofi makes it towards the end, but he is not mentioned.

Bingo! Exactly the kind of plays I was talking about earlier.

Trent and Monte on defense this year were off the charts.

Everyone always wondering why BU didn't start Alan over Monte, BU could throw Monte out there and tell him to guard and he would and he also wouldn't turn the ball over and constantly whine about "not getting his touches"

I got nothing but love for AG, but at the same time this business is about winning games and Monte and TF effort won us quite a few games.

giphy.gif

Does anyone remember that during the for game losing streak Trent was in early foul trouble several times. Did Alan being in foul trouble ever hurt the Illini? Trent was much more important tent to the team success.
Or the preseason when we lost to Miami and Mizzou when Trent was not the primary ball handler! We became drastically better once he had the ball in his hands .

Status
Not open for further replies.