Looking ahead to 2020-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 4333

D
So, if neither Ayo nor Kofi return, we only have three players coming back who have played meaningful minutes. Giorgi will be back at center backed up by Jermaine (if he stays). We'll need significant contributions from all the newcomers.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
With his struggles this year, it's also easy to forget just how good Giorgi was his freshman year. His numbers are just a tick under Kofi's FOY numbers.

We're gonna be fine.

NOW BRING ME MY ADAM MILLER WITH A SIDE OF CURBELO!

I'll wash it all down with some Frazier on the rocks.

With his struggles this year, it's also easy to forget just how good Giorgi was his freshman year. His numbers are just a tick under Kofi's FOY numbers.

We're gonna be fine.

NOW BRING ME MY ADAM MILLER WITH A SIDE OF CURBELO!

I'll wash it all down with some Frazier on the rocks.
Numbers dont tell it all. Kofi is leaps and bounds more effective than Giorgi on the defensive end. Major reason we made such a leap. Giorgi seemed to get slightly better as last season progressed, but he isn't and probably wont ever be the defensive presence Kofi is and for that reason this teams going to take a large hit on that side of the ball should Kofi not return.

Our guard play with or without Ayo is going to be deep and exciting. Not sure they can carry this team to the tournament by themselves.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Numbers dont tell it all. Kofi is leaps and bounds more effective than Giorgi on the defensive end. Major reason we made such a leap. Giorgi seemed to get slightly better as last season progressed, but he isn't and probably wont ever be the defensive presence Kofi is and for that reason this teams going to take a large hit on that side of the ball should Kofi not return.

Our guard play with or without Ayo is going to be deep and exciting. Not sure they can carry this team to the tournament by themselves.

Oh, definitely gonna be a hole to fill on D.

I honestly think we will be a better offensive team next year....even without Kofi and Ayo. We will definitely miss Ayo's clutch and Kofi's rim protection.

foby

Bonnaroo Land
On the optimistic side, I'm hopeful that AG is our only significant loss and Ayo and Kofi return. Top 5 team vying for a potential #1 seed. The Koolaid is strong with this one.

On the optimistic side, I'm hopeful that AG is our only significant loss and Ayo and Kofi return. Top 5 team vying for a potential #1 seed. The Koolaid is strong with this one.
I think everyone who frequents this board will be drowning in Kool Aid if Kofi and Ayo stay in Champaign. We will all just be complaining that we are ranked too low. lol

Retro62

North Bethesda, Maryland
I think everyone who frequents this board will be drowning in Kool Aid if Kofi and Ayo stay in Champaign. We will all just be complaining that we are ranked too low. lol

I agree, but if they are both back...they can leave us out of the first poll if they want to...they’ll all look foolish when all is said and done, even if, under those circumstance, we don’t start out in the top 10.

The roster is so unclear at this point that we could be anything from league champs (if everyone else stays and Miller shows up along with Curbelo) to cellar dwellers (I don't believe we will be very good if we lose both Ayo and Kofi and our sit out guys don't contribute).

Malik Fitts is in a similar draft category to Kofi. Would love for our coaching staff to start a dialogue with this kid. A roster with Kofi & Ayo returning and with the addition of Fitts would be absolutely terrifying.

"March 25: Saint Mary's Malik Fitts is heading to the NBA a year early via his announcement on Twitter. Fitts had a phenomenal last two seasons with the Gaels as a stretch-four and has the shooting ability to be at the next level. An under-the-radar prospect for many scouts. Projection: Late-Second Round to undrafted"

I've never seen more uncertainty in an offseason before (granted a lot of teams are in this position now, times we live in). Both leave I see us struggling to even make the tournament. Kofi stays, Ayo leaves I see us still as a top 5 B1G team and comfortably a tourney team. Ayo stays, Kofi leaves (most unlikely scenario in my mind) relatively similar, a top 8 seed. Both return and whoa nelly, off to the races we'll be.

I've never seen more uncertainty in an offseason before (granted a lot of teams are in this position now, times we live in). Both leave I see us struggling to even make the tournament. Kofi stays, Ayo leaves I see us still as a top 5 B1G team and comfortably a tourney team. Ayo stays, Kofi leaves (most unlikely scenario in my mind) relatively similar, a top 8 seed. Both return and whoa nelly, off to the races we'll be.

Not that long ago, the off-season used to be pretty quiet. Now, there's plenty to talk about and maybe more recruiting than in the fall. Giorgi was very good at center, and he should be better if he's there again. Still, you can't say enough about Kofi:

Physically way ahead of most bigs. Elite size. Still amazes me how he worked on his body before the season started.
Exceptionally good at timing and sensing when drivers would shoot.
No stupid fouls --just incredible how he defended with his body and position --I don't recall seeing a freshman center so disciplined. A lot of guards wouldn't even attempt hi-lo plays over him --seemed to keep his awareness in the paint.
Huge luxury knowing we had Giorgi available to play center whenever needed. Kofi wasn't injured either.
164 FT attempts and made nearly 70%
Rebounding and double-double machine.
Fantastic attitude and team guy.
Coachable player that got noticeably better during the season. I think he'll keep getting better too.
Efficient - 8th in the league in PER as a freshman

Ayo isn't replaceable, but with the guards we have coming in, I feel like we have a chance at have a very good back court. I don't see us having the same identity without Kofi. Maybe we make some of that production up at the 4, but how far back do you have to go for us to have a center as good as him?

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
Not that long ago, the off-season used to be pretty quiet. Now, there's plenty to talk about and maybe more recruiting than in the fall. Giorgi was very good at center, and he should be better if he's there again. Still, you can't say enough about Kofi:

Physically way ahead of most bigs. Elite size. Still amazes me how he worked on his body before the season started.
Exceptionally good at timing and sensing when drivers would shoot.
No stupid fouls --just incredible how he defended with his body and position --I don't recall seeing a freshman center so disciplined. A lot of guards wouldn't even attempt hi-lo plays over him --seemed to keep his awareness in the paint.
Huge luxury knowing we had Giorgi available to play center whenever needed. Kofi wasn't injured either.
164 FT attempts and made nearly 70%
Rebounding and double-double machine.
Fantastic attitude and team guy.
Coachable player that got noticeably better during the season. I think he'll keep getting better too.
Efficient - 8th in the league in PER as a freshman

Ayo isn't replaceable, but with the guards we have coming in, I feel like we have a chance at have a very good back court. I don't see us having the same identity without Kofi. Maybe we make some of that production up at the 4, but how far back do you have to go for us to have a center as good as him?
The highlighted was the most impressive thing for me. I just assumed, we would have a max of 20 min/game, with many 15 min games, due to foul trouble.

Almost all of our conference games were close. how many times this season did you feel good down the stretch because Ayo had the ball in his hands?
That will be difficult to replace.

Almost all of our conference games were close. how many times this season did you feel good down the stretch because Ayo had the ball in his hands?
That will be difficult to replace.

That part will be difficult to replace, but our overall shooting won't. Plus we add an uber PG who's a dribbling, passing whiz, and we add transfers who both have good size and can shoot, so we should have more leads next season.

If we do end up losing Kofi, there's no way around it, our interior defense will take a big time hit. But am I the only one that thought Giorgi during his Freshman year was much more polished on the offensive end then Kofi, especially when it comes to foot work and post moves. Ideally, I would love to see the Coaching Staff find a transfer that can space the floor with some outside shooting, yet capable enough to hold is own against a bulk of teams bigger interior players. That would allow Giorgi to go back on the block where he's most effective. Yes I'm sure there's not many of those guys out there, but a guy can dream right?

All of this saying, I really really hope Kofi returns. He would be an absolute monster next year.

But am I the only one that thought Giorgi during his Freshman year was much more polished on the offensive end then Kofi

You are not Giorgi was well above what was advertised, Kofi as well, the difference is Giorgi seems more comfortable at the 5 slot, and his game relates as such. Kofi seems to be still learning, a bit cumbersome, but all due to lack of experience/years. The major difference for us is that Giorgi doesn't "scare" anyone away from the offense/defensive boards...thats where we lose with Giorgi at the 5, even though it is still his best spot.

Defensively Giorgi can’t do what Kofi did in terms of protecting the rim or rebounding because he just doesn’t have the size. IMO you need to have a physical four to play along side him whereas you could play four guards with Kofi. If Verdonk is not ready to play it is critical to get a transfer four. Believe Ayo is easier to replace than Kofi as we have several 6’5” guys but no other 7’ 290# guys.

If Ayo leaves but Kofi returns we will be a top 15 team to start the year. We will have ample shooting next year, a lot of people aren't seeing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.