Looking ahead to 2020-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

DB11Headband

Chicago Burbs
I dont think we will be ranked starting preseason without Ayo and w Kofi, but I think we will be ranked midseason once new pieces come together. Hope We get Kofi back if he is not getting great info. Also, look forward to seeing a team with more shooting options minus Griffin. Hutch, Miller, Grandison, and Hawkins will space the floor a lot more in addition to I believe a better uptick for Frazier and a more confident Monte in his last season. Monte started to be more confident as season went along.
I don’t disagree with this. I think Miller and Curbelo will be high impact freshman and if they contribute as much as I think they will, we could definitely be ranked during the year (assuming Kofi returns).

But hopefully we only have two next year.
By hoping that Kofi is back and Giorgi isn't a starter? I hope Kofi is back, but I hope Giorgi is good enough and effective enough to be a starter, also! (I have my doubts.)

DB11Headband

Chicago Burbs
By hoping that Kofi is back and Giorgi isn't a starter? I hope Kofi is back, but I hope Giorgi is good enough and effective enough to be a starter, also! (I have my doubts.)
If Kofi is back, Giorgi will back him up. Grandison will start at the 4 (as the roster is currently constructed). This year showed that Giorgi had a hard time playing extended minutes with Kofi on the floor, and he’s best served backing him up.

If Kofi is back, Giorgi will back him up. Grandison will start at the 4 (as the roster is currently constructed). This year showed that Giorgi had a hard time playing extended minutes with Kofi on the floor, and he’s best served backing him up.
Can see a smaller 4 with Kofi as he can rebound with anyone but think it is difficult with Giorgi at center. He will need some size to help defensively and rebounding. Smaller guys aren’t as effective blocking out as they get pushed around. Hopefully Ben or Cole is up to that task. We were really tough with Giorgi and Kofi playing together. Not sure if we have stats on that and maybe supposition on my part but seemed to be the case. Many times they weren’t getting the rebounds but blocked out so Dre, Ayo, DaMonte, etc got the rebound.

Part of Giorgi's problem was the team's lack of shooting skill. Since we couldn't shoot well from the outside other teams could pack it in. Made it tough for two guys with back-to-basket skills to get their position and their shots under the basket. If we can shoot a decent % from outside next year, both Kofi and Giorgi could play to their strengths while in the game together.

Effeciency ranking systems loved Griffin. I wonder how much his departure is hurting this teams rankings. I think overall, his presence will be disappated by Miller and the transfers. Not that I don't think he wouldnt have played major minutes for us, I just think we have pieces to replace him and things like T-rank can't possibly predict that.

We actually have a decent amount of new faces next year. This is the most talent we've had on a single team in almost a decade, and a lot of that talent is already proven. With Kofi, we at minimum get votes. Not overly concerned with preseason rankings, I think we will have a similar trajectory to last year. Might be sluggish at the beginning, but we'll look like a B1G at the end of the day. The sit outs might mitigate that start too. And if Trent can round into shooting form again it's hard to not be extremely excited about this team, even if no one gets to see them in person.

Effeciency ranking systems loved Griffin. I wonder how much his departure is hurting this teams rankings. I think overall, his presence will be disappated by Miller and the transfers. Not that I don't think he wouldnt have played major minutes for us, I just think we have pieces to replace him and things like T-rank can't possibly predict that.

We actually have a decent amount of new faces next year. This is the most talent we've had on a single team in almost a decade, and a lot of that talent is already proven. With Kofi, we at minimum get votes. Not overly concerned with preseason rankings, I think we will have a similar trajectory to last year. Might be sluggish at the beginning, but we'll look like a B1G at the end of the day. The sit outs might mitigate that start too. And if Trent can round into shooting form again it's hard to not be extremely excited about this team, even if no one gets to see them in person.
Don't disagree that Miller could/would replace Griffin's numbers, but I thought we were counting on Miller to replace at least some of Ayo's. This right now at the least puts us one man down from what we need (gains versus losses).

Don't disagree that Miller could/would replace Griffin's numbers, but I thought we were counting on Miller to replace at least some of Ayo's. This right now at the least puts us one man down from what we need (gains versus losses).
Adam-Ayo
DreC-Dre
Hutch-Alan
Maybe OK long term but those three are difficult to replace short term, especially defensively.

We will continue to struggle anytime we are playing our 4 on 5 offense. Losing 60 % of our scoring and also losing our #1,3,5, & 7 best offensive players from one of our worst offensive teams in recent times will put a lot of burden on all the new faces. Defense really bailed us out last year. Hopefully that trend can continue and we will find 3 or 4 of the new players to pick it up offensively.

Feliz was an excellent help defender but not necessarily an on ball defender, Alan was niether. It is hard for anyone to replace Feliz's guts. If the transfers, Frazier and Miller can shoot straight we may not need Ayo's late game heroics

Feliz was an excellent help defender but not necessarily an on ball defender, Alan was niether. It is hard for anyone to replace Feliz's guts. If the transfers, Frazier and Miller can shoot straight we may not need Ayo's late game heroics
Great pt and i do think that will happen

I think that either Miller or Curbelo will contribute more than expected this year. Miller makes the most sense, but Curbelo might be the best pg we’ve had since DWill.

Last edited:
Hoping that Gentry has an effect on DaMonte’s offense. Just 8 pts a game would make a difference and believe he is capable of that. Anyone have an idea of Hutch and Jacobs defensive abilities? All of the comments have been about shooting.

Hoping for Ayo and Kofi back, and a college season. Hutcherson and Grandison look good during their last season of bball. Grandison has faced better competition. But Hutch looks to have very good handles, nice shot, and athletic ability. Add Trent, Giorgi and the freshmen we should be pretty solid.

Without Ayo and Kofi would think we add a proven college PF and C

Dan

Admin
Moved some posts to the chat forum-
https://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forum/threads/coronavirus-pandemic.25547/

The challenge is anytime the coronavirus is (with good on-topic reason) brought up, the discussion tends to turn into a deep dive into the pandemic and now we're off topic in the sports forums. So for now please use the above thread to discuss the coronavirus, in the sports forums we'll stay with the sports non-pandemic topics (unless there really is sports-related coronavirus news). Thank you, and Go Illini

Moved some posts to the chat forum-
https://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forum/threads/coronavirus-pandemic.25547/

The challenge is anytime the coronavirus is (with good on-topic reason) brought up, the discussion tends to turn into a deep dive into the pandemic and now we're off topic in the sports forums. So for now please use the above thread to discuss the coronavirus, in the sports forums we'll stay with the sports non-pandemic topics (unless there really is sports-related coronavirus news). Thank you, and Go Illini
Makes sense, thanks Dan.

Status
Not open for further replies.