Looking ahead to 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are we expecting to see next year? Is the D going to make sacks and stops, or get gashed again and be turnover reliant? How about the O, it has been so disjointed this year, I have no idea what they were doing a lot of the time from my own personal eye test.

Is a year of growth from the guys on the roster who aren’t playing enough to fill in the depth chart?

We should start 4-0 regardless, yes. But then, who knows. I’ll say 7-5. Back to back bowls is nice.

We’ll go anywhere from 6-6 to 8-4. All I’ll say about the QB situation is this: if Peters didn’t transfer in and the options for this year were Robinson, IW, Taylor... we’d have a thread up for our coaching search. Let’s just be thankful he’s back next year.

We should get seven or eight wins off that schedule. The ceiling is higher, though.

If we can stay healthy 7 or 8 wins if not 6 but we continue to make progress, just give me a year without a million injuries

Schedule sets up for 7-5. That should be the minimum. 6 wins would be disappointing.

Looking at the depth chart, I feel like there is a serious recession coming in 2021. Unless we keep patching the dam we transfers, that season could be ugly.

To everyone expecting 8-9 wins: why? What have you seen this year that makes you think we get that many? Barring staff changes, I don’t see any way we win 8 without luck.

Shief

Champaign Area
I'm with most seeing between 4 and 8 wins next year. I am looking to repeat 6-6 or move up to 7-5, depends how toss ups go.

Illinois State - healthy W, sorry Redbird fans
Connecticut - W, bigger win than 2019
Bowling Green - W, touch fight from a MAC school
@ Rutgers - W, it's Rutgers
@ Nebraska - toss up, growing rivalry
Purdue - W, close
Minnesota - close L, depends how they perform next year
@ Wisconsin - L, revenge :(
Iowa - toss up, Illini building toward future
@ Indiana - toss up, let's beat IU
Ohio State - L, stupid Buckeyes
@ Northwestern - W, revenge for 2019

Start 4-0. Find a way to win two games amongst the string of @Nebraska, Purdue, and Minnesota. Beat one of Iowa or Northwestern. Win the bowl game to get to 8 wins? That's the goal (for me).

**Subject to change.

That sounds right. 7 wins would be a step forward.

As we make predictions about next year, remember: we were less than 20 points away from being 9-3 this season. 6 wins absolutely has to be the lowest of bars set for next year. 7 wins should be the expectation with 1 or 2 losses being close or 8 to 9 wins being achieved via fluke or exceptional play.

Otherwise, next season would have to be considered worse than this season.

Not sure where the 7 wins come from, nor do I care to predict. I learned this year that 6-6 came from the most unlikely of sources, and I’m okay with that.

Deleted member 654622

D
For us to take that next step forward is going to require a big jump from the defensive line and QB play.
QB:
I really like the potential of Peters next year. Remember he came in very late this year. Now with some experience in the system and some very needed practice time with his receivers, he can be in the 20+ TD range as long as he stays healthy. I still expect him to throw some to the other team however. He will not be all American or anything. If we open the offense up for the majority of the season, I can see 22 tds and 10 int type of a season.
What really worries me is the rest of that room. Matt made some decent throws vs Northwestern, and had some glimpses vs Michigan. But the majority of the year he did not look comfortable nor capable really. IW was hurt the majority of the year but he still didn't perform better in practice than Matt did. If he is going to be the no. 2 next year, he needs some serious improvement. Granted we did not get to see a lot of him, so its understandable for him to look rough at the beginning of his college career. Learn to read and be accurate Coran, then you will get your shot. Obviously how the defense performs is going to determine how much the offense can open up.
DL:
Defense line to me was atrocious this year. And that is with Jamal Millan on the team, who I think is going to play in the NFL. For this team to take the next step, the defense needs to be better at getting off the field. Stopping the run and generating a pass rush is a must. We had some phases where we stopped the run nicely, but never got a pass rush after the UConn game. Hopefully we don't lose any big names to the transfer portal, but I really don't know where this production is going to come from. Calvin is going to be a Junior, development wise he has the most potential for the biggest jump considering his age and his weight issues. Best case scenario is he replaces Millan's production. Now what? We are back at square 1. Do you think Wole is going to take a huge jump forward? I don't. He had a total of 2 sacks during conference play, and they were coverage sacks. To expect him to leap to constant threat is a big ask. Love Jamal Woods potential, but he has to stay healthy, which he hasn't done yet, kind of the Epstein of the defense. The MVP of this unit needs to be Lou Hernandez and his entire staff. We need explosive power and attitude from this unit like the season depends on it, because it does

Fri.___Sept. 4___Illinois State W
Sat.___Sept. 12__UConn W
Sat.___Sept. 19__Bowling Green W
Sat.___Sept. 26__--bye---
Sat.___Oct. 3____at Rutgers W
Sat.___Oct. 10___at Nebraska L
Sat.___Oct. 17___Purdue (Homecoming) W
Sat.___Oct. 24___Minnesota W
Sat.___Oct. 31___at Wisconsin L
Sat.___Nov. 7____Iowa L
Sat.___Nov. 14___at Indiana L
Sat.___Nov. 21___Ohio State L
Sat.___Nov. 28___at Northwestern W

My heart says B1G champs, my brain says 5-7 wins :/. I think we're going to have a rough Oct/Nov. I wouldn't be surprised if we drop one against Purdue or Minnesota. Really depends on the QB situation. Ford on the field could be a game changer for us. We'll see. My excitement surrounding this season and next is tapered after the loss to NW. We'll see how the bowl goes.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
To everyone expecting 8-9 wins: why? What have you seen this year that makes you think we get that many? Barring staff changes, I don’t see any way we win 8 without luck.
We'll have the most experienced starting lineup in the country, almost everyone returns, we'll have some very talented redshirts playing, not to mention some very good transfers and top notch newcomers. Non-con schedule is also our easiest in years. Experience + age + maturity + talent easier schedule = more wins.

For us to take that next step forward is going to require a big jump from the defensive line and QB play.
QB:
I really like the potential of Peters next year. Remember he came in very late this year. Now with some experience in the system and some very needed practice time with his receivers, he can be in the 20+ TD range as long as he stays healthy. I still expect him to throw some to the other team however. He will not be all American or anything. If we open the offense up for the majority of the season, I can see 22 tds and 10 int type of a season.
What really worries me is the rest of that room. Matt made some decent throws vs Northwestern, and had some glimpses vs Michigan. But the majority of the year he did not look comfortable nor capable really. IW was hurt the majority of the year but he still didn't perform better in practice than Matt did. If he is going to be the no. 2 next year, he needs some serious improvement. Granted we did not get to see a lot of him, so its understandable for him to look rough at the beginning of his college career. Learn to read and be accurate Coran, then you will get your shot. Obviously how the defense performs is going to determine how much the offense can open up.
DL:
Defense line to me was atrocious this year. And that is with Jamal Millan on the team, who I think is going to play in the NFL. For this team to take the next step, the defense needs to be better at getting off the field. Stopping the run and generating a pass rush is a must. We had some phases where we stopped the run nicely, but never got a pass rush after the UConn game. Hopefully we don't lose any big names to the transfer portal, but I really don't know where this production is going to come from. Calvin is going to be a Junior, development wise he has the most potential for the biggest jump considering his age and his weight issues. Best case scenario is he replaces Millan's production. Now what? We are back at square 1. Do you think Wole is going to take a huge jump forward? I don't. He had a total of 2 sacks during conference play, and they were coverage sacks. To expect him to leap to constant threat is a big ask. Love Jamal Woods potential, but he has to stay healthy, which he hasn't done yet, kind of the Epstein of the defense. The MVP of this unit needs to be Lou Hernandez and his entire staff. We need explosive power and attitude from this unit like the season depends on it, because it does

All of this. It’s the head coach’s D, needs to improve, not sure where it’s coming from. Can RS FR and true sophs be counted on? Offseason huge for Avery with coach Lou.

Need I. Williams to take over #2. Big offseason for him to learn and get stronger (can he really “bulk up”?).

Offense needs to make a big leap going in to year 3 of coach Rod. [personal opinion alert, not an Xs and Os guy] I know our D isn’t great, but I’m more disappointed in how the offense has performed. 3 and out city this year.

lstewart53x3

Scottsdale, Arizona
All of this. It’s the head coach’s D, needs to improve, not sure where it’s coming from. Can RS FR and true sophs be counted on? Offseason huge for Avery with coach Lou.

Need I. Williams to take over #2. Big offseason for him to learn and get stronger (can he really “bulk up”?).

Offense needs to make a big leap going in to year 3 of coach Rod. [personal opinion alert, not an Xs and Os guy] I know our D isn’t great, but I’m more disappointed in how the offense has performed. 3 and out city this year.

Our defense was actually pretty good this year. Ranked #31 in the FEI advanced stats. Offense, however, not so good. Ranked #96.

Our defense was actually pretty good this year. Ranked #31 in the FEI advanced stats. Offense, however, not so good. Ranked #96.

Prob from turnovers? Which is great, and I hope it continues. My “not great” assessment comes from the yards they give up.

Lovie’s 2020 D philosophy:

1 keep getting TOs
2 make stops too
3 profit

QB:
DL:

Wole could actually make a huge jump, theoretically. Seen it dozens of times for kids with his profile. His 2019 production won’t predicate his potential 2020 growth.

Honestly, the only "sure" loss games are @Wisconsin and OSU. The other 10 are winnable if we're healthy. 7-5 sounds about right but I wouldn't be shocked if we're a couple games better or worse than that.

We'll have the most experienced starting lineup in the country, almost everyone returns, we'll have some very talented redshirts playing, not to mention some very good transfers and top notch newcomers. Non-con schedule is also our easiest in years. Experience + age + maturity + talent easier schedule = more wins.
Uneven coaching may subtract from all the wins we might have. But, maybe it is easier to coach experience, age, maturity, and talent. So, maybe the coaching staff will look like it upped its game.

Werner, in his last night podcast, mentioned, that NW is perhaps a 7-5 team this year IF they had no injuries.

Next year's game is not a certain W for us. We will have tp earn it.

As we make predictions about next year, remember: we were less than 20 points away from being 9-3 this season. 6 wins absolutely has to be the lowest of bars set for next year. 7 wins should be the expectation with 1 or 2 losses being close or 8 to 9 wins being achieved via fluke or exceptional play.

Otherwise, next season would have to be considered worse than this season.

Not sure where the 7 wins come from, nor do I care to predict. I learned this year that 6-6 came from the most unlikely of sources, and I’m okay with that.
The team was 19 points from being 9-3 and 15 points from being 3-9. The Wisconsin, Purdue and Iowa games felt like 9-3. The Eastern Michigan, Minnesota and Northwestern games felt like 3-9.

lstewart53x3

Scottsdale, Arizona
The team was 19 points from being 9-3 and 15 points from being 3-9. The Wisconsin, Purdue and Iowa games felt like 9-3. The Eastern Michigan, Minnesota and Northwestern games felt like 3-9.

Based on where the advanced stats have us ranked, at #57, I’d say our final record of 6-6 is right about where we were supposed to be.

Good buddy left MSU off the feel good 9-3 line. :thumb:

Good buddy left MSU off the feel good 9-3 line. :thumb:
That was a great win, no doubt, but I didn't come away from that game thinking this should have been a 9-3 team.

TMC999

Not Iowa
Have to be better than this year.
So we have to get to 7.
And 8 should be the goal.
This is where I’m at.
6-6 is the floor but would be disappointing looking at returnees + schedule.
7-5 is the reasonable target.
8-4 includes a big upset.
9-3 we have a horseshoe planted up our rump.
10-2 and... yeah nope.

Deleted member 654622

D
Wole could actually make a huge jump, theoretically. Seen it dozens of times for kids with his profile. His 2019 production won’t predicate his potential 2020 growth.
Its not out of the realm of possibility considering his lack of experience, no. But that isn't going to make me sleep well at night. We need 10-15 sacks from our D line during conference play at the very minimum. A big jump from Wole would be 6. Where is the rest coming from? In my opinion it is our weakest unit and one of the most important

Status
Not open for further replies.