Looking ahead to 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. But from what we have seen from both players this year, what percentage would you put out there that IW leaps Peters? Considering his starting point, IMO that would be one HELLA offseason. Not likely

It’s hard to say. Williams has the tools, give him some experience with timing and reading defenses (good practice with beason and Hobbs at that). I could see him be in place to make plays and start winning. I hope peters leaps, but I am not sure he has a ton of growth legt

B1G Champs. There's a lot of talent returning. Should be some.more studs added through recruiting. And I don't think people are talking more about the impact both Beason and Ford will have on defense and offense next season. It should be a really good year.

B1G Champs. There's a lot of talent returning. Should be some.more studs added through recruiting. And I don't think people are talking more about the impact both Beason and Ford will have on defense and offense next season. It should be a really good year.
This is a great point! Beason and Hobbs will allow us to stack the box.

Am I overestimating their talent by that much?

No, I actually phrased it poorly. My apologies.

The point I meant to emphasize is that these looks, outside of situational ball, would require an all the way whole scale philosophy change that Lovie is not going to undertake. We’re not going to be a 0 team. We’re going to plug ahead with our predominantly Cover 4 looks and win (Hopefully) in the manner that Lovie wants to win. And I’m fine with that...sorta.

SampsonRelpenk

Edwardsville, IL
We’re going to plug ahead with our predominantly Cover 4 looks and win (Hopefully) in the manner that Lovie wants to win. And I’m fine with that...sorta.
If we can get more productivity rushing the passer from the front four, so am I.

I've thought our biggest weakness the past two years has been our pass coverage. If we can make a big jump on that front, our defense as a whole will be much more effective. All other aspects of the team (our offense and the rest of the defense) seemed to me to at least be competitive and will hopefully continue to improve steadily. I just want to see progress every year.

SampsonRelpenk

Edwardsville, IL
I think that’s fair, though I personally am more concerned with other areas.
Do tell! I've got more concerns as well. Did Harding cover up even more sins than we thought? Is there only one good safety on the roster?

Not really, unfortunately.

They do when you add the fact they have Tony Adams as well with Sydney Brown at S. Quan Martin move there makes S that much better. Still holding out on A.Johnson because that would be championship caliber. They would absolutely be able to stack the box.

They do when you add the fact they have Tony Adams as well with Sydney Brown at S. Quan Martin move there makes S that much better. Still holding out on A.Johnson because that would be championship caliber. They would absolutely be able to stack the box.

In theory, yes. But what we can do and what we will do are two entirely different things. This defense will never see heavy zero.

Tony Adams will also likely not affect anything. Quan Martin may not even be here.

In theory, yes. But what we can do and what we will do are two entirely different things. This defense will never see heavy zero.

Tony Adams will also likely not affect anything. Quan Martin may not even be here.

Is Quan Martin unhappy that his play bumped him down the depth chart?

Is Quan Martin unhappy that his play bumped him down the depth chart?

That’s the talk, people more in tune with that would be better left to speak on the situation that I would. It’s understandable, he would have no path to playing time outside for a team that runs 3 CBs which is NOT what we do. For us, he’s buried.

Moving him to safety doesn’t solve anything on paper. A position change is far more complex than simply telling the kid “You play here now”. Quan doesn’t read well enough to be an asset, he’d have to show a big jump in spring ball for me to say “That could work”.

Do tell! I've got more concerns as well. Did Harding cover up even more sins than we thought? Is there only one good safety on the roster?

It’s more about the importance of the MIKE in our defensive set. We’ve struggled so much to pressure the QB with 4 down lineman that this aspect of the defense has become our only focus. I think there’s a prevailing thought now that as long as we get more pressure off the edge, our defense will function at maximum capacity because the DL is everything to Lovie Smith. Unfortunately, that’s not correct. For this defense to run like a well oiled machine, we need to win at every level, DL, LB, outside and the deep third and the MIKE is the catalyst to it all. It doesn’t matter how quickly you get after the QB, if your MIKE is out of position or lacking in athleticism to the point where he’s in position but unable to make the play, you’re sunk. This defense puts a tremendous amount of pressure on the MIKE in both phases, run and pass. You very literally cannot win without one.

And yeah you’re right, safety is a problem too.

Michigan St runs Quarters in base too, at least they have in the past, are we running it different from them?

That’s the talk, people more in tune with that would be better left to speak on the situation that I would. It’s understandable, he would have no path to playing time outside for a team that runs 3 CBs which is NOT what we do. For us, he’s buried.

Moving him to safety doesn’t solve anything on paper. A position change is far more complex than simply telling the kid “You play here now”. Quan doesn’t read well enough to be an asset, he’d have to show a big jump in spring ball for me to say “That could work”.

I believe he played S all of HS so it's not like it's foreign and many predicted that is both where he would end up and his best position when he was recruited.

I believe he played S all of HS so it's not like it's foreign and many predicted that is both where he would end up and his best position when he was recruited.

He did. But he’s not good enough to stick there, hence the move (That and the state of the DB room at that time). Moving him back is far more complex than pointing to the deep hash and saying “Stand there”. He needs to show the ability to play the position.

And it may be moot regardless.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
It’s more about the importance of the MIKE in our defensive set. We’ve struggled so much to pressure the QB with 4 down lineman that this aspect of the defense has become our only focus. I think there’s a prevailing thought now that as long as we get more pressure off the edge, our defense will function at maximum capacity because the DL is everything to Lovie Smith. Unfortunately, that’s not correct. For this defense to run like a well oiled machine, we need to win at every level, DL, LB, outside and the deep third and the MIKE is the catalyst to it all. It doesn’t matter how quickly you get after the QB, if your MIKE is out of position or lacking in athleticism to the point where he’s in position but unable to make the play, you’re sunk. This defense puts a tremendous amount of pressure on the MIKE in both phases, run and pass. You very literally cannot win without one.

Of course Lovie had that QB type MLB with athleticism in Urlacher when he was coaching the Bears. The question is who can be that guy for us going forward? Can Shammond eventually fill that role, or is he more of a WLB only? Concerned for when Hansen is gone after next year (and he's been good, but not great, and lacks the ideal athleticism that I think Lovie ideally wants though he's performed admirably).

Michigan St runs Quarters in base too, at least they have in the past, are we running it different from them?

I don't know. I'd have to see the tape but you have a good eye, what do you see? What is the boundary corner doing post-snap?

Deleted member 654622

D

I don't disagree that the Mike is very important. But I would not say it is pressure off the edge that we need, it is the pressure up the middle coming from the DTs. Getting in the QBs face effects his line of sight into those soft spots the Mike covers. It also gives the DEs a much easier angle to the QB when he has to keep backing up. And as we all know, a good DT is going to disrupt the running game as well, allowing the LBs to flow. Think Tommie Harris, Adewale and Alex Brown. I loved those DE as players but they were definitely assisted by how good Tommie was.
If a QB is allowed to sit in the pocket with zero pressure, he is eventually going to find a soft spot in the zone regardless of the talent on the back end. Like they say, the spine of the defense is most important - DT Mike Safety

I don't disagree that the Mike is very important. But I would not say it is pressure off the edge that we need, it is the pressure up the middle coming from the DTs. Getting in the QBs face effects his line of sight into those soft spots the Mike covers. It also gives the DEs a much easier angle to the QB when he has to keep backing up. And as we all know, a good DT is going to disrupt the running game as well, allowing the LBs to flow. Think Tommie Harris, Adewale and Alex Brown. I loved those DE as players but they were definitely assisted by how good Tommie was.
If a QB is allowed to sit in the pocket with zero pressure, he is eventually going to find a soft spot in the zone regardless of the talent on the back end. Like they say, the spine of the defense is most important - DT Mike Safety

Pressure up front is obviously important but your general point is no longer applicable to today’s game. If you start to disrupt up front, teams will simply RPO or bubble screen you to death. Jeff Brohm’s entire offensive philosophy is designed to get you to chase him (Which is one reason we beat them this season. Lovie called a phenomenal game that day). And I assure you Mike Leach is no genius, he simply stumbled upon the idea that it doesn’t matter how hard you throw pressure at him if his QB delivers the ball faster. It makes life much more difficult and I don’t care to spend another season staring at an opposing QB with all day to deliver the football but you can win in our defense without pressure. We can’t win without a MIKE. Everything for us starts at the MIKE. If you have to pick between Urlacher or Tommie Harris per your Bears reference, it’s a no brainer.

I wouldn’t count out the kid Barnes. He’s got some good HS tape. I know we all hate Miles Smith but kudos to him, that was a decent get.

@Dude of course this is situational, right? We wouldn’t game plan Purdue the same way we’d play Wisconsin. Well both be right and wrong depending on the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.