Looking ahead to 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Calvin Avery is my guy for this IF award
I hope he flips the switch during the off-season because he could be dominating up front. Has the tools just needs the desire. Lose some weight and let BodybyLou take over.

1403BA2E-58DE-486D-A872-71A36FCA0606.png

Stealing bases in baseball is good, but the team that steals the most bases isn't always the most successful team. Stealing the ball in basketball is good but, again, it doesn't necessarily lead to a win.
The point is that many fans would like to see a better all-around defensive scheme and performance. Interceptions and fumble-recoveries can be an enjoyable component of that, but they should not be a stand-alone goal. If we want to win more games, the team needs to implement and execute a more dependable overall defense.

The problem with this analogy is that stealing bases or basketballs does not have nearly the same effect on a game that turnovers in football do.

Imagine that everytime you stole a base in baseball, the opposing team lost their next innings' worth of plate appearances. I guarantee you the the correlation between stolen bases and wins would increase dramatically.

In basketball, steals are more disastrous than they are in baseball (because they mean entirely different things), but with so many possessions, and possessions lasting 20ish seconds a piece over a 3600 second game, they also don't have as major affect as turnovers do in a football game.

Defensive turnovers in football are huge. They cannot be overstated. While I agree that defensive positioning and, dear god... tackling technique, are probably major focal points that need to be worked on, the turnovers we generate are practiced and encouraged. It is a major part of what Lovie wanted to institute. There is a luck aspect of recovering some fumbles, but I am also in the camp that it's not strictly 50/50 luck.

Next year, I want to see improvement in defensive awareness, but without the loss of TOs. I think that's entirely possible.

Deleted member 654622

D
If there was a single coach I could see leaving this off season it would be AHS. And then prolly Byrd.
I struggle with this since he has brought in some good talent. But I have no idea what he brings to the table as far as a coach. We need way more talent on this roster so maybe he isn't as good as we need, just better than the others on the staff

What the heck? Is this dope challenging one of his wide receivers to a fight?

Right? That's how I read it too.

Will someone explain how Washington's tweet is bad? I read his as "gotta work harder". More like he didn't like the feel of losing a bowl game, hes gonna work harder to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Deleted member 654622

D
Right? That's how I read it too.

Will someone explain how Washington's tweet is bad? I read his as "gotta work harder". More like he didn't like the feel of losing a bowl game, hes gonna work harder to make sure it doesn't happen again.
Ya we may not have all the information about what is going on. But it isn't the best look either way

cuillini

San Bernardino, Ca.
the way college football works is that good things happen when most of the starters are returning. So I’m not sure what you mean.

I basically meant that coaching has a lot to do with it. For example, the 2018 squad gained a total of 3280 yards on the ground, averaging 5.9 yards per carry. All of the top runners, and almost all of the offensive line, returned for the 2019 season but we ran for only 2312 yards with an average of 3.8 yards per carry. Consequently, the thesis that "a team with many starters returning will definitely have more success" may be flawed.

I won't pretend to know exactly why our running game was less effective this season, but those are the facts (despite all of the returning players). It's somewhat puzzling since our passing game was so much better this year. I would think that an enhanced air attack (meaning a less predicable offense) would have helped our running. I can see how the total running yardage might decrease, but why should the average yardage per run decrease?

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
I basically meant that coaching has a lot to do with it. For example, the 2018 squad gained a total of 3280 yards on the ground, averaging 5.9 yards per carry. All of the top runners, and almost all of the offensive line, returned for the 2019 season but we ran for only 2312 yards with an average of 3.8 yards per carry. Consequently, the thesis that "a team with many starters returning will definitely have more success" may be flawed.

I won't pretend to know exactly why our running game was less effective this season, but those are the facts (despite all of the returning players). It's somewhat puzzling since our passing game was so much better this year. I would think that an enhanced air attack (meaning a less predicable offense) would have helped our running. I can see how the total running yardage might decrease, but why should the average yardage per run decrease?
The loss of Allegretti was a huge part of the reason why the running game regressed. Also not having a true dual threat QB. Peters, while being able to scramble when needed, is no AJ Bush in that respect.

Calvin Avery is my guy for this IF award

for me as well.

Betiku at DE, maybe a big year from Gay (since he’s youngish for his year or whatever, please be ready to break out), and then the big guy inside. would love to see a lot more pressure from the front 4. I like the depth, hopefully the RS FR guys can get some tick.

Who else could come in and really give a spark? Beason? Maybe Shammond grabs the open LB spot?

Avery, Cooper, Beason would be a guy at each level of the D.

On O, impressed more with Peters as the year went on, really hope an off-season in the system does wonders for him.

He will have a senior O line to work with, and these guys to potentially throw to:

Smalling
Sidney
BheBhe
Washington
Navarro

Barker
Ford

Last thing, agree with others about the portal. We hit the jackpot last year, but if we could at least make some grabs this year that help us add upperclassman P5 depth, that’d be great.

Re-watching the first half now. Man i missed a lot. Guess I can't do two things at once. Twangers is right, Cover 3, Man Free (pressure), and I don't know how much Quarters we played through the first half. Our Corners were playing very aggressive at LOS. Seems more Cover 2 than Quarters.

In the second half, there’s a couple specific balls that got thrown (And caught) against clear Cover 4/Quarters.

Genuinely seemed like we came out like an unusual coverage scheme and then didn’t like it and started funneling through anything and everything else to try and get things working.

Receiver depth killed us late in the year this year, it shouldn't be a problem next year with returnees and freshmen. I think we need a transfer safety the most of anything. Cal ripped apart the secondary, EMU ripped us apart in the secondary, passing teams are a big issue for us. If we fix that, I think this team will be better (1-2 wins better)

Deleted member 746648

D
I believe I read somewhere (I need to try to find my source) that experience and returning starters has a larger correlation of success with defensive players than offensive players. QB I think is a big exception.

The biggest question for me is IW. After seeing his versatility does he make the move to WR just for next year? Or does he double down at QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.