Looking ahead to 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hm. Neither position concerns me. Certainly not RB, which has no stand alone value. Beason is a bit of a concern but how much will depend on camp.

The real concern is the look of the offense from a design stand point. Luke Ford could get wasted pretty quickly in Rod’s system as is which would....not be good.
Rod Smith need stop look at Indy's 2 TE 12 back sets or New Orleans doing the same. We have two very good TEs next season and need to sprinkle those looks in. It should help the running game and both a good to very good receiving as well.

The bowl game showed exactly what I have been posting my fear is for next year. If we don't get pressure from the front four, we will continue to get carved up on D. Worse of all, I do not see it getting fixed until the 2021 season. Unless of course we somehow land an immediate eligible pass rusher in the transfer portal. Which I cant see us getting that lucky again with the portal

Beason's high end speed will make it tougher to carve up the defensive backfield. Brown disappointed me. He stayed back and never made the throws over the LBs difficult, plus he didn't support deep down the right sideline on the TD throw. But Adams, Hobbs, Beason, Witherspoon, Brown, we'll be better in the back no doubt.

Last edited:
Rod Smith need stop look at Indy's 2 TE 12 back sets or New Orleans doing the same. We have two very good TEs next season and need to sprinkle those looks in. It should help the running game and both a good to very good receiving as well.

That’s an idea.

The formation is less important than the tree itself.

That’s an idea.

The formation is less important than the tree itself.
That should read 1 back, my typing sucks! Bhebhe is a big WR, so we could make some real hey in the run game, 4 of 5 being back on the O line. I think the O has a chance to be very good next year.

Last edited:
Just saw that Harry Hiestand was let go with the bears. Do we go after him? Is he an upgrade at the line coach position? Seems like it. Will rod let go of his man?

If I had to guess, you seem like you would want Byrd replaced first. Not a recruiter and hasn’t really performed at coaching up his position.

Good guess.

He’s number 3 on my list but I don’t think he’d be all that sorry about being let go. Many have stated he prefers the pro game, which is more than fine.

Why are we so concerned about McClain? He’s the least of my issues.

Not so concerned, just wondering if this is an opportunity to upgrade. When Luke left McClain was, well, underwhelming. I'm thinking a lot more recruitment will get done with the switch.

I'm imagining there will be a few coaches that turn over in the next two weeks and wondered if this would be one.

Nothing against McClain, don't ever want to root for someone to loose a job.

Good guess.

He’s number 3 on my list but I don’t think he’d be all that sorry about being let go. Many have stated he prefers the pro game, which is more than fine.

I think Clark is up there for me. He’s gotten some decent recruits, but the last two years the Dline has been a disappointment with pass rushing. Basic stuff, too. Running straight into OL on passes, not going to the correct gaps on stunts, etc. It’s been a big letdown from Phair, who was an excellent guy to have in the program.

I think Clark is up there for me. He’s gotten some decent recruits, but the last two years the Dline has been a disappointment with pass rushing. Basic stuff, too. Running straight into OL on passes, not going to the correct gaps on stunts, etc. It’s been a big letdown from Phair, who was an excellent guy to have in the program.

He’s not on my list because of how important he is to us on the recruiting side but your analysis is strong here. We continually get to the wrong spot whenever we attempt to stunt gap-gap which is one reason, I believe, that we’ve gotten away from it. That’s something we have to weigh, recruiting vs. actual positional coaching.

Who are your top
Good guess.

Who is your top 2?

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Why are we so concerned about McClain? He’s the least of my issues.

It's more about the availability of Harry Hiestand (former Illinois coach, many connections with Lovie), with some due to the regression of the offense (especially the run game).

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
#1 for me is Miles Smith, but that ship is sailed and we're stuck with him as long as this coaching staff is intact. Ignoring that, I'd be game with Harry Hiestand to replace McClain and Byrd to replace by.....Richard Sanchez at SDSU (riskier choice, but secondary coach at 7th best defensive passer rating defense)? Andy LaRussa at WKU (safer choice)? Jay Simpson at UAB (somewhere in between)?

for me as well.

Betiku at DE, maybe a big year from Gay (since he’s youngish for his year or whatever, please be ready to break out), and then the big guy inside. would love to see a lot more pressure from the front 4. I like the depth, hopefully the RS FR guys can get some tick.

Who else could come in and really give a spark? Beason? Maybe Shammond grabs the open LB spot?

Avery, Cooper, Beason would be a guy at each level of the D.
I’ve see Betiku as a projected mid round pickup. Hope he stays

One rule in football is that turnovers are allowed. And generally speaking, the team that wins the turnover battle, tends to win the game. The notion that turnovers is not the defense stopping the other team, makes no sense. Literally, in many of our wins or near wins, we won the turnover battle, lost the yardage game and still won or had opportunities to win. And we beat good big ten teams. Our losses, generally speaking, came at points where we were missing a host of key players. I would recommend focusing on how we fill our depth, not whether our turnovers were legitimate.
Our losses were due to missing players? All Big 10 teams have injuries, its Lovies job to recruit depth. Will see if that comes to fruition next year. Never said you cant win games by winning the turnover battle. What I said was game in game out and year in and year out you cant presume to get timely turnovers to stop drives. Get a defense that creates 3 and outs not one that has the philosophy of giving up 400 yds a game and believing turnovers will bail you out. He won 4 games in a row then lost 3 in a row. Sorry if I dont have the we turned the corner optimism alot on this board do. The sample size of Lovies Big 10 record suggests cautious optimism at best for next year. I am hoping most of you are correct but proof will come in the Big 10 slate not the OOC cupcakes.

I want to clarify my comment about wanting to hire Heistand. Nothing ahah at the current OL coach. Maybe he can stay in some capacity. Maybe Heistand gets hired as more of a general coach but still works with the OL and mentors our current coach. The guy is proven. When he coached here before we had terrific offensive lines. It’s almost like when a player gets recruited over I guess. But we have to try to hire Harry! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.