Looking ahead to 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you Peter should start but if IW is strictly a backup QB look for a transfer

If he transfers he transfers but you don’t refuse to play your best 11 because a kid may or may not like it and IW at WR is not one of our best 11.

He’ll likely do some RPO and sub package stuff a couple times a game while hitting the playbook and working on footwork and mechanics, which need a lot of work. Lot of work. The kid can play QB, I’m fully confident in his ability to do so but he needs to work at it.

I don’t think he will be a straight back up. Look for him to do things similar he did for the bowl game.
It’s doubtful, they want him repping at qb so he can step in and play when needed. They see him as the future and want him gaining experience.

I agree with you Peter should start but if IW is strictly a backup QB look for a transfer

I doubt it. He wants to earn the spot and has no question that Brandon brings something that he is still learning. It’s the mental part, the prepping part, the reading defenses part. He is still learning and will get reps, but he knows there is work left to do. I would’nt be surprised to see him take over midway through the season because of an injury

Deleted member 645583

D
I don't like this IW situation unless he's happy to wait. Peters is the QB next season. I got a feeling IW will transfer. Such an athlete and not playing. Why wasn't he red-shirted? Please explain. Thanks.

Isaiah signed here for two reasons and two reasons only:

1) Cory Patterson
2) We were one of the only Power 5 schools recruiting him as a QB

He wants to play QB, this is what it’s going to take to play QB. He needs a large scale overhaul of his footwork and mechanics and he needs to live in the weight room/film room. Those are steps that don’t happen overnight, it’s going to take time and while we currently live in instant gratification nation there is nothing wrong with sitting the kid for two years and developing him the right way. He gets 5 years to play 4, come 2021 he’ll have the opportunity to compete for the starting job with 3 years of eligibility remaining at a top notch university in the second best conference in America. That is incredible. If he decides that isn’t good enough (More than fine) he can transfer and we’ll play someone else but for today, the kid needs more time in the nest before he’s ready to fly and with how much importance Lovie Smith has personally placed on the 2020 season, you don’t mess with your best 11 for anyone or anything. Isaiah at WR (Again, not what he wants) will not make our best 11.

For whatever anyone thinks it’s worth, I think the kid can make it at QB if we develop him correctly.

1) Cory Patterson

He wants to play QB, this is what it’s going to take to play QB. He needs a large scale overhaul of his footwork and mechanics and he needs to live in the weight room/film room. Those are steps that don’t happen overnight, it’s going to take time and while we currently live in instant gratification nation there is nothing wrong with sitting the kid for two years and developing him the right way. He gets 5 years to play 4, come 2021 he’ll have the opportunity to compete for the starting job with 3 years of eligibility remaining at a top notch university in the second best conference in America. That is incredible. If he decides that isn’t good enough (More than fine) he can transfer and we’ll play someone else but for today, the kid needs more time in the nest before he’s ready to fly and with how much importance Lovie Smith has personally placed on the 2020 season, you don’t mess with your best 11 for anyone or anything. Isaiah at WR (Again, not what he wants) will not make our best 11.

For whatever anyone thinks it’s worth, I think the kid can make it at QB if we develop him correctly.
I agree with everything you said. But do you think IW is a better option than Sidney/navarro.

I agree with everything you said. But do you think IW is a better option than Sidney/navarro.

Than Sidney? Unequivocally no.

He wouldn’t be a better option than James Frenchie, who will live in the “Z” and he’s around 6-8 on that depth chart at first glance. While one target has lost some momentum, there is likely to be a transfer here as well.

Deleted member 746648

D
Year old article that attempts to find a correlation between returning production and success. Essentially what the author found is Quarterbacks, wide receivers and defensive backs had the highest correlation while the trenches and running backs had the lowest correlation.

Its also interesting to look back and see from a statistical perspective how much we returned heading into 2019 and comparing that to the end result.

Deleted member 746648

D
We were ranked #15 in returning defense production and our defense allowed roughly 100 less ypg while we lost alot of returning production in the passing game and our overall offensive numbers were way down... Considering we should be returning almost our entire passing game on both sides of the ball, this could turn out well for us. I'm just trying to give y'all something to think about when it comes to our team heading into 2020.

BZuppke

Plainfield
Not so bold prediction: IW never starts at QB for the Illini. I’m not trying to be mean but there’s a reason most schools didn’t see him as a QB. I think we’ve been willing to give him a chance for various reasons but I don’t think it will ever work. He needs to switch positions or schools.

Than Sidney? Unequivocally no.

He wouldn’t be a better option than James Frenchie, who will live in the “Z” and he’s around 6-8 on that depth chart at first glance. While one target has lost some momentum, there is likely to be a transfer here as well.
6-8 in the slot or at WR in general?

Not so bold prediction: IW never starts at QB for the Illini. I’m not trying to be mean but there’s a reason most schools didn’t see him as a QB. I think we’ve been willing to give him a chance for various reasons but I don’t think it will ever work. He needs to switch positions or schools.

That’s a poor reason to move a kid.

BZuppke

Plainfield
That’s a poor reason to move a kid.
I’m not sure what you mean here. I mean he will never win the starting job and if he wants to play QB it will be elsewhere or if he stays here and wants to see the field he’ll have to switch positions. I see this as Aaron Bailey redux.

I’m not sure what you mean here. I mean he will never win the starting job and if he wants to play QB it will be elsewhere or if he stays here and wants to see the field he’ll have to switch positions. I see this as Aaron Bailey redux.

Suggesting he won’t make it simply because a few select teams that recruited him to this level didn’t believe he would make it is an extremely poor reason to move a kid. I would think the process of that decision would involve a little more film analysis and a little less random polling.

I’ve been doing this a long time. He absolutely could win this job.

BZuppke

Plainfield
I probably should not have thrown that line in there as my intent was to say I don’t think he is a Big Ten QB. It has nothing to do with what other teams saw although I believe the reason other P5 teams did not recruit him as a QB was for this reason. I do stand by my prediction. I’d love to be wrong.

I probably should not have thrown that line in there as my intent was to say I don’t think he is a Big Ten QB. It has nothing to do with what other teams saw although I believe the reason other P5 teams did not recruit him as a QB was for this reason. I do stand by my prediction. I’d love to be wrong.

Again, how a select few other programs viewed him should never enter the analysis phase at this point. His ability to stick should be based off of the natural progression he shows on film and little else. To that extent, what we know about his ability to play the position now is.....nothing.

You can stand by your prediction, nothing wrong with that, I merely fear that it isn’t based on anything tangible. Truthfully, it’s probably little more than H-W which doesn’t concern me.

1) Cory Patterson

I agree entirely, TwangerS. IF he wants to play at the P5 level as a QB, Illinois is his best shot at doing it, but he has a LONG way to go physically, mentally and skill developmentally. There are two questions here; does he have the work ethic, patience and determination to do what's necessary, and do we have the quality of QB coaching to get him there. I have complete confidence that Lou can get him to where he needs to be physically if IWs willing to pay the price. If we had Turner or White developing his QB skills, I'd have a lot confidence in his development, but they're not here. Rod Smith isn't terrible, but he's just not a passing game guru. IW can do it, but I think with these circumstances it's a tough shot based on looking at his HS film and what he's done on this team.

I agree entirely, TwangerS. IF he wants to play at the P5 level as a QB, Illinois is his best shot at doing it, but he has a LONG way to go physically, mentally and skill developmentally. There are two questions here; does he have the work ethic, patience and determination to do what's necessary, and do we have the quality of QB coaching to get him there. I have complete confidence that Lou can get him to where he needs to be physically if IWs willing to pay the price. If we had Turner or White developing his QB skills, I'd have a lot confidence in his development, but they're not here. Rod Smith isn't terrible, but he's just not a passing game guru. IW can do it, but I think with these circumstances it's a tough shot based on looking at his HS film and what he's done on this team.
IW is a really smart kid understands defenses just didn’t get a lot of reps this year because of a nagging injury that limited him in practice most of the season. He is a determined kid and works his tail off in the film room and weight room as well as in practice when he is able to.

Deleted member 654622

D
IW is a really smart kid understands defenses just didn’t get a lot of reps this year because of a nagging injury that limited him in practice most of the season. He is a determined kid and works his tail off in the film room and weight room as well as in practice when he is able to.
In the photo of the players helping out at some food center, it looked like IW has started to add that needed weight. Interested to see what he looks like next year.

Deleted member 654622

D
I believe the offense will be very productive, especially the passing game. But if we don't get a pass rush, we will keep getting shredded.

Anyone who thinks Wole is getting drafted needs to watch him vs any Power 5 tackle. He was straight stonewalled vs Cal. Way more productive "projects" out there worth a draft pick.

I think IW biggest issue about being the starting QB in 2021 will be Spann. Kid is legit and has size that IW, just does not have. IW, has work to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.