Looking ahead to 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not so bold prediction: IW never starts at QB for the Illini. I’m not trying to be mean but there’s a reason most schools didn’t see him as a QB. I think we’ve been willing to give him a chance for various reasons but I don’t think it will ever work. He needs to switch positions or schools.
This is terrible news. I had been counting on your assessment that IW was the next Antwaan Randle-El. That's a future I really like: IW being AR-E in '21/'22 and Spann being AR-E in '23/'24. That would fill the stadium.

This is terrible news. I had been counting on your assessment that IW was the next Antwaan Randle-El. That's a future I really like: IW being AR-E in '21/'22 and Spann being AR-E in '23/'24. That would fill the stadium.

I was more thinking Kyler Murray or Johnny Manizel based on his size, but he is maybe even smaller (weight) than those 2 and his arm isn't nearly as good.

So, for those who are close to these things, why can JW not force a DCoach decision? Does Lovie have in his contract - "Allowed to hire all my guys" or UofI is in breach of contract? "My way or fire me"?

Seems this D is not going to get much better without discipline and a college level approach vs reliance on pro caliber players to make plays. Turnovers are great, but we've looked so lost so many times. Call me crazy, but I'd rather forego counting on TOs and focus on fundamentals, discipline, schemes and good old fashion coaching. In losing Hansen, we lost our TO machine and thus they key to our D.

Seems even from "far away" almost every defensive position has been upgraded. The exception to this is the D-line. Even world class dbs get abused with out a rush.

We know Lovie is obsessed with qb pressure from his Tampa 2 days. No way he gets away from that. Recruitment of a game changer de, next to qb or left tackle, might be one of the most difficult things to land in in football. Yes you can coach them up, prob more than what is happening now, but that's not going to do what a cat quick monster is going to do to the average LT in the big10.

Pressure does what nothing else can do on that side of the ball. Until we get that solved Lovie and staff are never going to get the credit they should for the upgrades we have at most (not all) of the defensive positions.

A difference maker at either end of the line will cover a lot of the deficiencies we (me) pick apart week by week. IMVHO

Ya but you can't keep a player off the field because you are scared he is going to get hurt in football. Injuries happen. You prep your best players that are available. If its IW then he deserves those reps. If its Spann then so be it.
100% in agreement. Also, Lovie does not let his qbs ever get hit outside of games so, IW had to have strained or pulled something.

Lack of quality depth is a real issue for us to overcome

depth is improving. We were short on dbs this season. Next year, that won’t be as much of a problem. At cb, we have beason, Adams, Hobbs, and Witherspoon. And Witherspoon was a true freshman this year. As I said when we found him, it was an excellent pickup by the staff. At safety, we have Brown, ware, Martin, and Gardner (Gardner has the speed to play safety and I’m hearing we will likely see him between the two positions). Next year, depth in the defensive backfield will not be an issue. At OL, we have cerny, brown, and slaughter, all of which can play competent big ten ball at the position. Even defensive end, I think Coleman and Randolph will be ready to contribute.

id like to see us pickup another defensive tackle and end and another safety. But ultimately, I think our team is pretty complete and at almost every position we have a competent big ten caliber backup. When’s the last time we had that?

After all is said and done, all that matters is W/L. With that in mind, if I may, what will our record be against B10 West teams?

0-5 is my prediction.

My feeling is that we will improve, but so will the other teams.

Unless we pull in a few (5#) 4* from the portal.

Last edited:

lstewart53x3

Scottsdale, Arizona
NW was awful this season and completely dominated Illinois. How can you predict beating them next season?

What happened in an individual game last year is not a good predictor of what will happen next year.

For example, 2 years ago, we crushed Minnesota & last year, Minnesota crushed us.

A game repeated between two teams during the *same* could have vastly different results, much less a game played a full season later.

That tweet has nothing to do with being from Texas. It has to do with being proud of the university

people from texas have an inherent pride in the university like nothing I’ve ever seen. It’s actually kind of uncomfortable and feels like brain washing

edit: also because of this and their sense of entitlement I will have anything nice to say about ut or their people so understand I am very biased.

Status
Not open for further replies.