Looking ahead to 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joel Goodson

respect my decisionâ„¢
Everyone from Texas is proud of ut or tamu

lol

I lived in Tejas (planet Houston) for 6 years after I graduated ('81-'87). You've made a gross overstatement, IMO. School rivalries there are just like everywhere else. There are a lot of Texas-based fans who passionately dislike A&M and the Horns.

Illini92and96

Austin, TX
lol

I lived in Tejas (planet Houston) for 6 years after I graduated ('81-'87). You've made a gross overstatement, IMO. School rivalries there are just like everywhere else. There are a lot of Texas-based fans who passionately dislike A&M and the Horns.
Yeah, but compared to other states (Illinois and Washington) there is a lot more pride for the state schools. At least there is here in Austin.

Folks, don't drink the Koolaid and look at this thing from a realistic perspective:

1) We only have one QB on the roster currently capable of winning ANY B1G game, and that QB is prone to injury and concussions. It's likely he'll miss two or three games next year due to injury based upon his history.

2) Without our grad transfers, the talent Lovie's recruited is about 3-8 quality. We got a former 5* and 4-4* that joined the team last year, FAR aboce anything Lovie recruited from the preps. That we can get that level of transfer this year is quite a long shot. If we can't get an equivalent OL or two, a CB and a couple safeties of that quality, I expect a drop of in play.

3) We had TWO once in a generation upsets last year in Wisconsin and MSU. It's unrealistic to expect anything like that again. Despite what the coaches said after the games, I think anyone watching the games realized that they had us beat and let up and got sloppy. That was part disrespect, and part poor coaching. That won't happen again against ANY team next year. They won't want to be embarrassed as MSU and Wisconsin were last year. Don't be fooled by the Michigan game. Once they were up by 28 they just played loose until we closed the gap, then got serious again. Look for better teams to pound us next year when they get ahead without mercy to avoid the MSU and Wisconsin fates. We're only gonna beat good teams next year by beating them on the LOS, and from what I saw in the last two games I'm not confident we can, especially on the DL.

4) We can't win without turnovers and long scoring plays. We don't have a "home run hitter" now that Corbin is gone, and our only real deep threat is BHeBhe who's injury prone. If we can't go deep, the OL needs to force holes against quality front 7s and I just don't see them doing that if they play like last year.

5) We need scoring turnovers to win, and that's a dicey thing. 2019 was the first year we were productive at it and it took a number of opponents by surprise. It won't next year, They'll be less likely to have Hansen strip the ball, and he was our main weapon there. Green is gone. Look for fumbles recovered to go down along with wins. We won't get INTs unless we get a lead, force the opponent to pass and put extreme pass pressure on the QB. Rod Smith offenses are notoriously slow starters, so we really need to step up in the second halves. We really need much stronger ;pass rushes from Wole, Gay, and perhaps Coleman, but they've had issues with technique and injuries as well as strength. at tackle we really don't have much of a bull rush returning at tackle and Woods has a good first move but is too often injured.. Who knows. Maybe Davis, Newton and Riggins can improve the pass rush. If not, no INTs....and few wins...

This year the stars aligned and we got lucky to have some really incredible wins, the first in four years of Lovie. The foundation is NOT set after for years as we saw against NW. We're thin at key positions, and one or two injuries and we're 5-7 team.

Our young players have not impressed, except for Witherspoon and maybe WR Casey. Of course last year we were saying the same things about Quan Martin at CB, and we saw how that "sophomore jinx" worked out. We still have no idea how Shammond Cooper will develop, whether Barnes can be decent at LB, and what kind of player Beason will be. It seems that coaching issues will go unaddressed.

I really hope that next year all the developments are positive, we adjust the defense to prevent yards as well as scores, we get turnovers and Peters has a great year, but I'm afraid that would be a triumph of hope over experience....

Folks, don't drink the Koolaid and look at this thing from a realistic perspective:

2) Without our grad transfers, the talent Lovie's recruited is about 3-8 quality. We got a former 5* and 4-4* that joined the team last year, FAR aboce anything Lovie recruited from the preps. That we can get that level of transfer this year is quite a long shot. If we can't get an equivalent OL or two, a CB and a couple safeties of that quality, I expect a drop of in play.

This is not a realistic perspective, all due respect.

1) We only have one QB on the roster currently capable of winning ANY B1G game, and that QB is prone to injury and concussions. It's likely he'll miss two or three games next year due to injury based upon his history.

3) We had TWO once in a generation upsets last year in Wisconsin and MSU. It's unrealistic to expect anything like that again. Despite what the coaches said after the games, I think anyone watching the games realized that they had us beat and let up and got sloppy. That was part disrespect, and part poor coaching. That won't happen again against ANY team next year. They won't want to be embarrassed as MSU and Wisconsin were last year. Don't be fooled by the Michigan game. Once they were up by 28 they just played loose until we closed the gap, then got serious again. Look for better teams to pound us next year when they get ahead without mercy to avoid the MSU and Wisconsin fates. We're only gonna beat good teams next year by beating them on the LOS, and from what I saw in the last two games I'm not confident we can, especially on the DL.

4) We can't win without turnovers and long scoring plays. We don't have a "home run hitter" now that Corbin is gone, and our only real deep threat is BHeBhe who's injury prone. If we can't go deep, the OL needs to force holes against quality front 7s and I just don't see them doing that if they play like last year.

5) We need scoring turnovers to win, and that's a dicey thing. 2019 was the first year we were productive at it and it took a number of opponents by surprise. It won't next year, They'll be less likely to have Hansen strip the ball, and he was our main weapon there. Green is gone. Look for fumbles recovered to go down along with wins. We won't get INTs unless we get a lead, force the opponent to pass and put extreme pass pressure on the QB. Rod Smith offenses are notoriously slow starters, so we really need to step up in the second halves. We really need much stronger ;pass rushes from Wole, Gay, and perhaps Coleman, but they've had issues with technique and injuries as well as strength. at tackle we really don't have much of a bull rush returning at tackle and Woods has a good first move but is too often injured.. Who knows. Maybe Davis, Newton and Riggins can improve the pass rush. If not, no INTs....and few wins...

This year the stars aligned and we got lucky to have some really incredible wins, the first in four years of Lovie. The foundation is NOT set after for years as we saw against NW. We're thin at key positions, and one or two injuries and we're 5-7 team.

Our young players have not impressed, except for Witherspoon and maybe WR Casey. Of course last year we were saying the same things about Quan Martin at CB, and we saw how that "sophomore jinx" worked out. We still have no idea how Shammond Cooper will develop, whether Barnes can be decent at LB, and what kind of player Beason will be. It seems that coaching issues will go unaddressed.

I really hope that next year all the developments are positive, we adjust the defense to prevent yards as well as scores, we get turnovers and Peters has a great year, but I'm afraid that would be a triumph of hope over experience....
Wow man we really shouldn’t even bother playing the games next year.

Is anyone worried about DL next year? DT seems iffy...

Deleted member 654622

D
Is anyone worried about DL next year? DT seems iffy...
vjdmua7-jpg.gif

When the safety from Miami transfered Lovie said he was looking at him as a LB. Does that change considering what's happening at S? He's gotta be one of the bigger S in the big 10 if he is.

When the safety from Miami transfered Lovie said he was looking at him as a LB. Does that change considering what's happening at S? He's gotta be one of the bigger S in the big 10 if he is.

I was wondering this too. He’s big. If he started games at safety for Miami you know he’s fast enough. And Tony Adams seems to be a better corner than a safety.

I was wondering this too. He’s big. If he started games at safety for Miami you know he’s fast enough. And Tony Adams seems to be a better corner than a safety.

If Tony doesn’t move, we have a problem. How big that problem may be is something I’m still working to reconcile within my own mind but it is a problem.

I meant between the two of him and Smith, he would see safety first. We also know, things change. I suspect they have their eye on some in the portal. But, should they strike out there and nobody steps up, I could see Gardner moved.

Status
Not open for further replies.