Looking ahead to 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
My hopes/concerns/thoughts for next year:

1) qb play goes up a level with more time in the system. Brandon puts on 10 extra pounds of muscle in his legs and makes the read option a real thing. Though never a running qb, he puts the O in option at a new level.

2) We find a pass rush. Weather by change of scheme (unlikely) or personal we get to the qb faster on passing downs. Transfer portal ferry be good to us!

2b) Neb. And Purdue are ours to win if the rush comes through. We might win anyway, but....

2c) I think our run D will be solid.

3) Not confident about our oline. I'm sorry but I saw drop off from LB to McClain. Maybe it was just personal.

4) Will we find a safety in the portal? Who out of those on the team will establish themselves.

5) Can the LB play become more fundamentally sound? Will all the TE of the big ten abuse us?

6) Where/when does Derick Smith play?

7) how many smurfs does Rod want? And are our edge guys the fastest in the conference? Gotta be up there! Jet Sweep here we come!

8). Lovie love love how solid our Special Teams are since Smith showed up. Hoping for 4 punt or kick off TDs this year.

My hopes/concerns/thoughts for next year:

1) qb play goes up a level with more time in the system. Brandon puts on 10 extra pounds of muscle in his legs and makes the read option a real thing. Though never a running qb, he puts the O in option at a new level.

2) We find a pass rush. Weather by change of scheme (unlikely) or personal we get to the qb faster on passing downs. Transfer portal ferry be good to us!

2b) Neb. And Purdue are ours to win if the rush comes through. We might win anyway, but....

2c) I think our run D will be solid.

3) Not confident about our oline. I'm sorry but I saw drop off from LB to McClain. Maybe it was just personal.

4) Will we find a safety in the portal? Who out of those on the team will establish themselves.

5) Can the LB play become more fundamentally sound? Will all the TE of the big ten abuse us?

6) Where/when does Derick Smith play?

7) how many smurfs does Rod want? And are our edge guys the fastest in the conference? Gotta be up there! Jet Sweep here we come!

8). Lovie love love how solid our Special Teams are since Smith showed up. Hoping for 4 punt or kick off TDs this year.
A couple comments on your very well thought out concerns,
1. I think peters played well last year and i think with a full year in rods system he will have a great senior year. He also proved that he is more mobile and might allow rod to open the playbook a little bit more. I think we have a top 6 QB in the big ten next year.
2. The single biggest issue going into next season. Need huge years from mondesir, carney and gay plus production from younger guys (randolf, coleman and holmes). The D-line will determine a lot of things on our defense. I really hope we can land swann and another portal guy cause we need depth. Maybe a freshman steps up but i dont know how many are ready.
2b. I think we should split between Indiana, Purdue, Minnesota and Nebraska.
2c. The run D will depend on how Hansen reacts to the MLB role and how some guys on the D-Line develop.
3. This is probably my least worry going into the season. We were voted the 11th best O-line by PFF. And i agree that i didn't think we played great, we still had a very solid line. A lot of sacks were because of the RB's or Peters. Returning 4 of 5 multi year starters is huge. I think cerny or brown can be as serviceable as pettitbone.
4. This is one of my biggest worries. I don't know who they are going to get. I think Derrick Smith/Gardner can play there but they haven't proven it on the D1 level. Maybe martin, ware, joseph or someone else steps up and wins the job but i saw more than i wanted too last year of some of those guys at safety.
5. I like the LB's coming back next year. I think we can be a line-backing core that is in the top half of the big ten. 2 senior LB's in Hansen and Eifler and a nice position battle between degroot, tolson and cooper should force out great competition. Also my guy told me that barnes was as impressive as anyone last year. I thinkwe have close to 5 legit Big-ten linebackers. TE's will continue to abuse us as long as we contoniue to play the cover 2 scheme without true pass coverage LB's. Can eifler, hansen and cooper cover TE's? Well just have to see, but i think we have a better shot this year than last.
6. I think wherever Gardner doesn't. I've watched smiths film and he is basically Stanley green. Green was serviceable last year so i think Smith plays S and Gardner takes a red-shirt and plays special teams and backup LB.
7. Rod likes guys with speed. I think cumby will be a guy rod utilizes a little more next year. He could be a fun gadget sorta guy.
8. Love the ambition. Yes our special teams has increased because of our ability to red-shirt guys and form depth. Also some under the radar guys and walk-ons have done well on special teams. I think griffin beats out McCourt this year too.

A couple comments on your very well thought out concerns,
1. I think peters played well last year and i think with a full year in rods system he will have a great senior year. He also proved that he is more mobile and might allow rod to open the playbook a little bit more. I think we have a top 6 QB in the big ten next year.
2. The single biggest issue going into next season. Need huge years from mondesir, carney and gay plus production from younger guys (randolf, coleman and holmes). The D-line will determine a lot of things on our defense. I really hope we can land swann and another portal guy cause we need depth. Maybe a freshman steps up but i dont know how many are ready.
2b. I think we should split between Indiana, Purdue, Minnesota and Nebraska.
2c. The run D will depend on how Hansen reacts to the MLB role and how some guys on the D-Line develop.
3. This is probably my least worry going into the season. We were voted the 11th best O-line by PFF. And i agree that i didn't think we played great, we still had a very solid line. A lot of sacks were because of the RB's or Peters. Returning 4 of 5 multi year starters is huge. I think cerny or brown can be as serviceable as pettitbone.
4. This is one of my biggest worries. I don't know who they are going to get. I think Derrick Smith/Gardner can play there but they haven't proven it on the D1 level. Maybe martin, ware, joseph or someone else steps up and wins the job but i saw more than i wanted too last year of some of those guys at safety.
5. I like the LB's coming back next year. I think we can be a line-backing core that is in the top half of the big ten. 2 senior LB's in Hansen and Eifler and a nice position battle between degroot, tolson and cooper should force out great competition. Also my guy told me that barnes was as impressive as anyone last year. I thinkwe have close to 5 legit Big-ten linebackers. TE's will continue to abuse us as long as we contoniue to play the cover 2 scheme without true pass coverage LB's. Can eifler, hansen and cooper cover TE's? Well just have to see, but i think we have a better shot this year than last.
6. I think wherever Gardner doesn't. I've watched smiths film and he is basically Stanley green. Green was serviceable last year so i think Smith plays S and Gardner takes a red-shirt and plays special teams and backup LB.
7. Rod likes guys with speed. I think cumby will be a guy rod utilizes a little more next year. He could be a fun gadget sorta guy.
8. Love the ambition. Yes our special teams has increased because of our ability to red-shirt guys and form depth. Also some under the radar guys and walk-ons have done well on special teams. I think griffin beats out McCourt this year too.

D-line!!!
Yeah safety play for sure. Gotta be a transfer.
Wondering if L Smith was serous about D Smith at Linebacker.

Thanks Sneaky.

Didn’t see this posted. Sorry if it’s a repost but not sorry cause it’s pretty cool anyway.

We should just create a goal line play where he catches the ball jumping off someone's back, like a stool. No one could stop it! :LOL:

Really excited the see the development of some of the sophomores/RS sophomores and how ready some of them are. I think a couple of the freshman DL will be more ready than people think also.

I second this. We have some talent coming up and they would likely have played had it not been last year. Add to it a few seniors, i think the line will impress more than people are ready for

Deleted member 654622

D
I second this. We have some talent coming up and they would likely have played had it not been last year. Add to it a few seniors, i think the line will impress more than people are ready for
I hope you are right, the season is going to depend on it IMO

I think people are really underestimating some of the freshman lineman. I think cooper davis and newton will make waves as freshman. Riggins is criminally underrated as well. Mondesir was looking great in camp until he got injured. Another guy i think we sorta forget about is quinton mccoy. I don't think he plays a ton as a freshman but there is a reason he had offers to Louisville, USF and iowa state. Slaughter/Pearl/Brown are all redshirt-sophomores now and should from solid depth this season.

So who is your pick for surprise of the year?

im going with Cumby. I think they have him everwh on the edge eating up yards. I'd say IW but I think he is not a surprise.

So who is your pick for surprise of the year?

im going with Cumby. I think they have him everwh on the edge eating up yards. I'd say IW but I think he is not a surprise.
There is a couple that i'm going to go with. I think cumby and campbell are going to be big surprises. Watch Dalevons tape if you can and wow that guy is impressive. I know hes been around but i think ricky smalling has a really nice final year. On defense there are a couple, lavar gardner is my #1. He's really fast and i think he will start at safety barring a transfer. I think Mondesir is this years shobongo. He is a RS- Junior and was practing well last year before his injury. Another guy im interested in is Ezekial Holmes. He's added a ton of weight and i think he might be able to surprise a little.

Does Brandon Peters count? Because I think he is about to have a monster year

Last years numbers on Peters in a 6 win season:
1884 yards TD 18 INT 8

So monster year is.....what, maybe something like:

2200 yrds 25 TD and under 12 int?

that might get us 7 wins. 8 if the d line Powers up?

I agree with @Dude that Peters could have a monster year (2,500yds+) , and I'd love t see Hansen have one at MLB. If he can clog up the middle, we should have enough speed on the outsides to be really sound.

Deleted member 656517

D
If Peters can give us 400 yds rushing with his pass numbers from last year... We’re a 8-9 win team going into bowl season. As far as surprises go I’m going with Jakari Norwood on offense, and Keith Randolph on defense!

I think Jamal Woods becomes a force in the middle, becoming a legit NFL prospect. He had nice flashes of it last year.

On offense, I think we could have a big year in the passing game if Rod can get Ford involved enough. We have a lot on continuity in the passing game and I think it will show.

Deleted member 654622

D

Last years numbers on Peters in a 6 win season:
1884 yards TD 18 INT 8

So monster year is.....what, maybe something like:

2200 yrds 25 TD and under 12 int?

that might get us 7 wins. 8 if the d line Powers up?
Your Peter's numbers are a little deceptive. Remember, he missed a handful of games.

Your Peter's numbers are a little deceptive. Remember, he missed a handful of games.

2226 yards, 21.27 TDs, 9.45 Ints, had he played all 13 last year. If he can just make a 10% improvement and play every game, it would be big for us. That would be similar to Nate Stanley in his SO and JR years at Iowa.

Status
Not open for further replies.