Lou Henson gets Hall of Fame nod

San Francisco
Well deserved, long overdue for Coach Henson. I'm probably not the only fan that complained a bit about Lou when he was here only to now realize what an amazing, amazing job he did and what a great, classy man he is. Congrats Lou!

Alabama
For anyone that didn't get to listen, Tay and J had a lot of call in guests today talking about Lou including Mark Tupper, Deon Thomas, TJ Wheeler, Tom Michael, Kenny Battle, Eddie Johnson. Definitely worth a listen.

http://tayandj.podbean.com/

Congratulations to a great coach and person. I met Lou and loved his humility and genuineness. He really bleeds O&B. Very deserving of this honor.

We need to honor Lou at halftime of the MSU game not only for what he accomplished, but also to help us get the crowd riled up vs. MSU.

Heck it worked for Michigan and OSU to announce/celebrate against us at halftime so why not return the favor against MSU? :chief:

Alabama
We need to honor Lou at halftime of the MSU game not only for what he accomplished, but also to help us get the crowd riled up vs. MSU.

Heck it worked for Michigan and OSU to announce/celebrate against us at halftime so why not return the favor against MSU? :chief:

Why wait till halftime? We should take the Michigan route and interrupt play in the first half to do it... :thumb::D

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Well deserved for Coach Henson! Also, I second the idea of naming the court after him.

:ah:

Lou put Illini BB on the map. Great coach and person. Has suffered personal tragedy and persevered. Never lost his love of O&B. Well deserved

Deleted member 31586

D
I never post much, but I have been Lou Henson since way back to the old Illini Board days when the Internet first was developed. I graduated from Illinois and Purdue (grad school). First I could not be happier for a great man than I am today. Second my grad school has it right in Keady court. The UI needs to get off their butts and make it Lou Henson court!! NOW!! If you are anywhere near 50 years old and an Illini fan you know how simply amazing Lou Henson is. As great a coach as he was, he is 100 times a better man. I grew up in Windser Park 1 block from his house no family could have ever been more down to earth and caring than Lou and Mary. This is a tremendous day for all Illini.

Personally, one of my highest "wish list" items in sports. LONG overdue. You would think and hope that after scumbag Pearl had been completely exposed, this type of recognition would start coming in. Growing up in C-U in the late 60's and early 70s, the Big Ten seemed like the universe, and what Lou steadily did for the program meant so much.

Yes! well said ct3illini!

Should be :

HALL OF FAME -- LOU HENSON

Hall of Shame -- Bruce Pearl

This is great news and makes me happy!!!!!:illinois:

Northbrook
Congrats to Lou for the well deserved recognition, not just for his tenure at UIUC, but before and after as well.

It is interesting to see all the love for Lou here. I was in school for the start of his career (my freshman year was Schmidt, sophomore year was Bartow, then Lou) and during much of his tenure, my recollection was that fans viewed him as a crappy coach that underachieved with great talent. My recollection may be wrong or maybe those fans changed their view in retrospect.

I met Lou numerous times and spent time with him at a couple of dinner tables and I can tell you that you couldn't find a more quality guy than Lou nor a more quality couple than he and Mary. He was egoless, down to earth and I think kept the game in perspective.

Kudos to Lou!

Congrats to Lou for the well deserved recognition, not just for his tenure at UIUC, but before and after as well.

It is interesting to see all the love for Lou here. I was in school for the start of his career (my freshman year was Schmidt, sophomore year was Bartow, then Lou) and during much of his tenure, my recollection was that fans viewed him as a crappy coach that underachieved with great talent. My recollection may be wrong or maybe those fans changed their view in retrospect.

I met Lou numerous times and spent time with him at a couple of dinner tables and I can tell you that you couldn't find a more quality guy than Lou nor a more quality couple than he and Mary. He was egoless, down to earth and I think kept the game in perspective.

Kudos to Lou!

Your memory is correct. I was there at the same time and the perception of Lou was that Illinois lost every close game. Outcoached time after time. That was the word on the street. Doesn't make it right, but it was the view at the time. It is still mine.

Great guy. Truly. but not a great coach in my own personal opinion.

Mokena, IL
Your memory is correct. I was there at the same time and the perception of Lou was that Illinois lost every close game. Outcoached time after time. That was the word on the street. Doesn't make it right, but it was the view at the time. It is still mine.

I recall the circa 82-87 era opinion as similar- great practice coach, good recruiting from the staff, but overmatched during game time. Still think he deserves the HoF nod!

Peoria
I recall the circa 82-87 era opinion as similar- great practice coach, good recruiting from the staff, but overmatched during game time. Still think he deserves the HoF nod!
Same here. I hated his in game coaching but loved his recruiting, player development, and especially him as a person. Deserves HOF.

As a Champaign townie from way back, I can tell you that the Lou supporters outnumbered the grumblers until the very end. It eventually became clear that it was time for Lou to move on if the program was to advance but that didn't make it any less sad. I think unfortunate circumstances did Lou in more than anything. The whole Deon Thomas affair made it difficult to get the kind of talent here necessary to get over the hump. I think Lou had it in him to get it done but circumstances were against him.

Deleted member 31586

D
I guess the way I see it is that right after the 2005 season I tried hard to get the court named after myself lol, and the resistance from the Weber lovers was just crazy against it. We all know now that he court named after Bruce would have been a joke. Maybe Lou is not the greatest coach that ever lived, maybe since he did not win it all he does not deserve to be in, maybe because the NCAA bent him over and ********* Just for Pearle, dIgger, and Knight, maybe he was to humble to be in something full of egotistical maniacs, but I will tell you something. He is the best coach Illinois has ever had, and very easily the greatest coach Illinois will ever have. Every single person who debates this will be less than 45 years old. The talent that Kruger,Self, Weber, and even Groce was left with is so far ahead of what Lou got, yet Lou made Illinois a power. He is, and always will be "Illinois Basketball". The baffons at the DIA need to take advantage of him and name the court now! If some day somebody else does more we can name something else after them, but the court belongs to LOU DO!

Mokena, IL
I guess the way I see it is that right after the 2005 season I tried hard to get the court named after myself lol, and the resistance from the Weber lovers was just crazy against it. We all know now that he court named after Bruce would have been a joke. Maybe Lou is not the greatest coach that ever lived, maybe since he did not win it all he does not deserve to be in, maybe because the NCAA bent him over and ********* Just for Pearle, dIgger, and Knight, maybe he was to humble to be in something full of egotistical maniacs, but I will tell you something. He is the best coach Illinois has ever had, and very easily the greatest coach Illinois will ever have. Every single person who debates this will be less than 45 years old. The talent that Kruger,Self, Weber, and even Groce was left with is so far ahead of what Lou got, yet Lou made Illinois a power. He is, and always will be "Illinois Basketball". The baffons at the DIA need to take advantage of him and name the court now! If some day somebody else does more we can name something else after them, but the court belongs to LOU DO!

Baffons?

I'll bet you didn't grow up in C-U, or have a longer view of UI basketball. UI was at the utter bottom, our stars were from St. Joe/Ogden and Gibson City. We had no chance for Chicago players. What Lou accomplished over time brought deep joy to the community. UI had some great teams, 83-84, 88-89, and great players. Beating MSU and Magic on an Eddie Johnson jumper, etc. Going to the NCAA tournament (heck, even the NIT). Those were big moments. UI was in the game, and it meant a lot. Then, actually "locking down" Chicago, getting Nick and Lowell and Marcus and then Deon, with Jamie Brandon in the wings. It was crazy. And Lou was for the UI, he wasn't a Bartow or Mackovic. Then he even built the UI back to respectability, giving Kruger a really nice foundation. He was a GREAT basketball coach.

I'll bet you didn't grow up in C-U, or have a longer view of UI basketball. UI was at the utter bottom, our stars were from St. Joe/Ogden and Gibson City. We had no chance for Chicago players. What Lou accomplished over time brought deep joy to the community. UI had some great teams, 83-84, 88-89, and great players. Beating MSU and Magic on an Eddie Johnson jumper, etc. Going to the NCAA tournament (heck, even the NIT). Those were big moments. UI was in the game, and it meant a lot. Then, actually "locking down" Chicago, getting Nick and Lowell and Marcus and then Deon, with Jamie Brandon in the wings. It was crazy. And Lou was for the UI, he wasn't a Bartow or Mackovic. Then he even built the UI back to respectability, giving Kruger a really nice foundation. He was a GREAT basketball coach.

I will agree with every word but one. I would change coach to leader. Lou was a great basketball leader.