Mark Smith cleared to play for Missouri this season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

chitown
A few years ago there was a transfer situation with Rice where two recruits claimed a hostile situation based on religious and other reasons . There was a investigation and there as no wrongdoing by the University but both players were granted a waiver . This is what Rice claimed was the NCAA response about granting the waiver .

In the email, Rice officials said the NCAA informed them the decisions to grant the hardship waivers "were not a judgment on the athletics environment itself or any individuals" and "were not based on whether the student-athletes' allegations are true or not."
Furthermore, the NCAA said the waivers "were based solely on the bases of what the NCAA called the students' personal perceptions of an intolerable environment."

Here is the article in case anyone wanted to check it out

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...for-way-it-handled-transfer-cases-4414030.php

I think that was from 5 years ago and since then the NCAA has become more waiver friendly as they head towards reform . In February the NCAA was trying to figure out how to attach academic stipulations to transfers in order to grant immediately eligibility . In other words you have 3.0 or above and transfer you are immediately eligible.

There are so many small things that could be used in a waiver request that Its tough say what he would view as a hostile environment . We have had a string of transfers ,he was sick mid season etc especially if we consider the NCAA stating above that it was the students personal perception of a intolerable environment because that could be things outside of the team .

That we helped and that the MIzzou AD thanked us for the help leads me to believe the waiver was granted based on something that may not even be mentioned here.

Hands Malone

Quad-Cities, IL
I'm so happy that after we helped Mark transfer out and get his waiver, they've returned the favor by bad-mouthing our program to our recruits and their families.
That's the nature of the Smith camp.
to them its not their fault Smith could keep up with the rigors of B1G let alone other freshmen on the Illini that were handing his head to him in practice. We'll see how long the honeymoon is at Mizzou. My guess is mid January.

Deleted member 17900

D
I think the sit out year would have been more of a benefit to MS. Rather have him play this year and have three years of elibility than to sit, work on his game and improve. I’m personally not worried about Mizzou.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
The "hostile environment" he was describing was B1G defenses.

OQ4QeVl.gif

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
https://www.14news.com/2018/10/31/university-evansville-releases-statement-about-dru-smith/

pretty much confirms that clownzo is a tampering pos...

On Thursday, March 29th, six days after the announcement of the hiring of Coach McCarty, Dru Smith sent an email to Director of Athletics Mark Spencer informing him that he had made his decision to transfer. Smith’s exact reasoning was “mainly because the opportunities that I have are too hard to pass up.”

Deleted member 29907

D
https://www.14news.com/2018/10/31/university-evansville-releases-statement-about-dru-smith/

On Thursday, March 29th, six days after the announcement of the hiring of Coach McCarty, Dru Smith sent an email to Director of Athletics Mark Spencer informing him that he had made his decision to transfer. Smith’s exact reasoning was “mainly because the opportunities that I have are too hard to pass up.”
That, plus Miznoz trying to get them to claim 'run off' - incredible. I don't blame EU. Tampering and lying should not be rewarded even though the kid ends up in the middle. Expectations need to remain that you sit a year if you transfer and don't blame the previous school or system if you don't get the exception.

That, plus Miznoz trying to get them to claim 'run off' - incredible. I don't blame EU. Tampering and lying should not be rewarded even though the kid ends up in the middle. Expectations need to remain that you sit a year if you transfer and don't blame the previous school or system if you don't get the exception.
Sounds like Cuoznoz recruited him to get him to transfer.

That's funny. This is the same exact reason I give when I leave my current job for one that pays more.

It's what most schools are doing now. It's what Missouri did for Blake Harris when he left and is why he is eligible to play for NC State immediately.

Have no idea why he was cleared. However, let him play if we can't guard him we're in trouble.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
https://www.stltoday.com/sports/col...cle_227ba1b2-f2b2-5de1-b20a-8ca178a3c762.html

Mark Smith said he appreciates that Illinois coach Brad Underwood cooperated with his waiver request for immediate eligibility but is happy with his decision to change programs.
“Coach Martin is truthful,” Smith said. “He tells us like it is. He’s never going to lie to us. That’s a big reason I came here. I just feel like I’m becoming a better player here.”

wait till he starts letting backdoor baskets and him trying to score over taller players...

Fans always try to find a villain in transfer situations. Missouri fans think it is Underwood, whereas Illinois fans think it is Smart Smith. At the end, it is probably one of the many situations where things just did not work out and it was best for both parties to move on.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/col...cle_227ba1b2-f2b2-5de1-b20a-8ca178a3c762.html

Mark Smith said he appreciates that Illinois coach Brad Underwood cooperated with his waiver request for immediate eligibility but is happy with his decision to change programs.
“Coach Martin is truthful,” Smith said. “He tells us like it is. He’s never going to lie to us. That’s a big reason I came here. I just feel like I’m becoming a better player here.”

wait till he starts letting backdoor baskets and him trying to score over taller players...

Well then, Martin must be telling you that your handles are just terrible and that you have zero idea of what Ball-You-Man defense means. let alone how to play it!

I would bet that the Smith family was promised Mark would have a starting slot from Day Ome (which he essentially did). Then reality set in with the fans and staff that Mark just wasn’t ready or able yet to compete at the B1G level—unlike Trent whose game matured really quickly..

Even so, BU kept starting and playing Mark Smith way longer than many of us felt was warranted. But eventually with a record and season that was circling the drain, BU could no longer abide by the deal and Smith found himself on the bench at the beginning of games.

That is just the way sports works (or is supposed to). However I would further bet the Smith family took the recruitment promise as meaning Mark would have a starting slot for the duration of his career, regardless of performance, and now are framing BU as a “liar”—-for just doing his job of playing players most likely to help his team win games.

Will indeed be very interesting to see how this all plays out at Mizzou, as I highly doubt Mark has had a sudden quantum leap in speed, lateral quickness, peripheral vision, or fundamental skills.

JFGsCoffeeMug

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago
If Cuonzo has promised to start Smith every game of his career, regardless of performance, and follows through with it, then Mizzou is in trouble. That locker room and team will collapse in no time flat.

Status
Not open for further replies.