Mark Smith cleared to play for Missouri this season

Status
Not open for further replies.

FeelTheLovie

Louisville, KY
I’m confused why miznoz fans are excited to have a guy eligible that didn’t get playing time on a team that missed the NIT.

IlliniKat91

Chicago, IL
I’m confused why miznoz fans are excited to have a guy eligible that didn’t get playing time on a team that missed the NIT.

The same reason we would be if a guy had picked a sometime rival only to leave them and come back to us. It feels good to have someone say, "I should have picked you," regardless of the circumstances.

breadman

Herndon, VA
Just seems like a very Illinois-ish development here, as per usual. Don't know why, but it happens only to us.

The only thing I can think of if there was some untruths told to him. Like you are better than Trent. We will not recruit over you (Ayo, Feliz). BU seemed to gush over Mark.
Wished he would of stuck around but starting to see a trend here, not a good one.

Ayo, Trent, Damonte, Feliz will give Mizzou issues.

sbillini

st petersburg, fl

As has been discussed before, he got plenty of paying time. Comparable time to all the guards except Trent. Probably less later in the season, but he had his chances. Conclude from that what you will.

He did nothing here despite being given multiple chances. In a packline style M2M or zone his defensive issues would be less of a liability. He was a horrible fit for Underwood's style of D. With a year of improvement he might be better. We have more things to worry about than Mark Smith. Becoming an actual relevant BB program again being first among them.

Do we have any feeling how the team in general felt with his leaving? Glad he's gone? etc? I recall Trent saying this year's team is not as selfish and I am guessing he was referring to one individual in particular. Would be interesting to know how motivated they are to stop him - clearly super motivated, but super, super motivated?

We only have 4 guys that knew him.

The most confusing part about all this is that Dru Smith was either denied or did not receive a waiver... someone who was coming from a team that lost there head coach... Is that not basically textbook for getting a waiver? As opposed to Marks situation that makes exactly 0 sense?

There was a lot of ambiguity in waivers in the past, but this seems like the NCAA is literally flipping a coin for everyone.

illini80

Forgottonia
It was reported on Saturday Sportsline that the waiver was granted on the basis of abusive behavior by the coaching staff. I'm sure that's helping our recruiting now.

SampsonRelpenk

Edwardsville, IL
It was reported on Saturday Sportsline that the waiver was granted on the basis of abusive behavior by the coaching staff. I'm sure that's helping our recruiting now.
If that's truly the case, then you'd think that would trigger some sort of investigation/reprimand by the NCAA.

illini80

Forgottonia
Cue 10 pages of this rehash.
Legit or not, when the NCAA starts granting waivers based on our abusive coaching style, we have a problem.

I don't buy the BS allegations for a second, but you can bet every single school we are recruiting against will use this.

illini80

Forgottonia
If that's truly the case, then you'd think that would trigger some sort of investigation/reprimand by the NCAA.
I would LOVE to see details of the "investigation" done regarding this case. Just when I thought I couldn't despise the NCAA any more......

foby

Bonnaroo Land
Legit or not, when the NCAA starts granting waivers based on our abusive coaching style, we have a problem.

I don't buy the BS allegations for a second, but you can bet every single school we are recruiting against will use this.
Hopefully there are some "facts" that come out and clear up this possible scenario. Even if this is not the cause of the waiver, without some backing up of that the rumor is live and will be exploited.

That is absolutely absurd. Mizzou fans have been saying they've heard he was granted the waiver based on Illinois/Underwood supporting him being able to play right away so the truth probably lies somewhere in between

Hopefully there are some "facts" that come out and clear up this possible scenario. Even if this is not the cause of the waiver, without some backing up of that the rumor is live and will be exploited.

Is illinois even allowed to comment on Mark smith anymore?

the national

the Front Range
If this is true, that is hot garbage. Clownzo is a piece. If you go back to when he was hired at missy, he was saying crap about Illinois. He has like a weird Illinois complex and keeps playing us. It happened way back when he announced he was going to play at Purdue over Illinois. Man, I hope Trent blows them apart this year

Status
Not open for further replies.