Mark Smith signs with Illinois

Gee was the starting center on the 1997-98 Big Ten championship team that was led by the late Matt Heldman, Jerry Hester and Brian Johnson.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know someone mentioned it a while back and it was debated some but it is confirmed that Mark Smith is from Decatur. Moved to eville when he was about 6. I just read it in one of Tuppers newest articles. Sorry for not having a link, was having issues with it on my phone.

illinifan87

The Windy City
Smith's impact goes past the floor. Recruiting, keeping local talent, beating blue blood, momentum narratives all in play here.

Underwood created a different type of energy when he was hired. Smith kinda feels the same way. There's a buzz about the program that's been lacking for a long time. Since Dee, Deron Rev, Luther and Augie.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Smith's impact goes past the floor. Recruiting, keeping local talent, beating blue blood, momentum narratives all in play here.

Underwood created a different type of energy when he was hired. Smith kinda feels the same way. There's a buzz about the program that's been lacking for a long time. Since Dee, Deron Rev, Luther and Augie.

Huge boost for Underwood's credibility. Granted, Underwood came with a reputation of a very good game coach with an exciting system, but not a reputation as a recruiter. Then, he turned some heads putting together a very competent recruiting staff, especially adding Orlando Antigua. Then, Mark Smith. He is off to an excellent start.

I just got off work so I know I'm late to the gif party, but this definitely merits the use of my favorite one of all time!

200.webp

eMitch

Quincy, IL
Remember the guy that was supposedly waiting for a KY offer, just to turn them down and pick Illinois?!? Well, this is the guy!!!

CAHALL15

Central Illinois
Come on back JT AND JP!!!!!
:illinois:

I think Pickett and BU had an amicable split and I'd be shocked if he's here this upcoming season. I'm more excited for Francesco Badocchi. I think he fits what BU desires in a wing more so than Pickett.

Just read through comments regarding the Smith commitment on their SB Nation page (http://www.theonlycolors.com/2017/4/26/15434788/mark-smith-commits-to-illinois-over-msu). It's refreshing to see that we aren't the only fanbase that overreacts when we don't get the commit we were hoping for.

A lot of the comments are very sensible and some are even amicable.

There's a small group of commenters really bashing that Hondo guy, talking about he was making promises izzo rescinded. Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't that dude just a writer? What promises could be possibly make?

NEIlliniFan

No longer in New England
MSU did not mention us as a possible landing spot for Smith.:shield:

Oh, I saw that in an April 12th MSU fan article. Mentioned the Scarlett and Grey or the Blue and White as Smith's other choices.

Try to Orange and Blue!!

kcib8130

Parts Unknown

JFGsCoffeeMug

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago
There's a small group of commenters really bashing that Hondo guy, talking about he was making promises izzo rescinded. Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't that dude just a writer? What promises could be possibly make?

Hondo is indeed just a writer. But MSU fans are miffed that he drove to Smith's house for an interview without running it by Izzo first. From what I understand, Hondo met with Smith even before Izzo had a chance to, and Hondo supposedly made promises about playing time and the role Smith would fill on their squad next year. Some of those promises were contrary to Izzo's subsequent pitch to Smith and his family. :noidea:

They felt they were the frontrunners for Smith, and then they suddenly lost him to us. The meeting with Hondo is being identified as the turning point in that recruitment.

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
Hondo is indeed just a writer. But MSU fans are miffed that he drove to Smith's house for an interview without running it by Izzo first. From what I understand, Hondo met with Smith even before Izzo had a chance to, and Hondo supposedly made promises about playing time and the role Smith would fill on their squad next year. Some of those promises were contrary to Izzo's subsequent pitch to Smith and his family. :noidea:

They felt they were the frontrunners for Smith, and then they suddenly lost him to us. The meeting with Hondo is being identified as the turning point in that recruitment.

Let this be a lesson to writers who cover recruiting. I'd guess Mr. Hondo's access to the team may be a bit less in the coming months....