Mark Smith transferring from Illinois

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 8632

D
Just watch Mark's postgame interview after the BTT game against Iowa. The kid is totally deflated. It looks to me that he thought it would be a way easier transition to this level. He's looked lost on the court and in post game interviews. I'm sure at the ripe old age of 18-19 he began to question if his talent level was enough to compete at this level. One easy way to find out is to hit the reset button. Go somewhere different and start new. I guess he was slightly off when he was "recruiting" Ayo and talking about the two of them being the best backcourt in the nation. Trent and Ayo maybe:)

This sucks. I wish he had stuck it out and overcome the challenge ahead of him here. Expectations were too high I think from everyone's perspective. I wish him the best.

Do I understand correctly that transferring to a BIG school would cause him to lose a season of eligibility in addition to having to sit a year as a transfer?

I think they dumped that rule. Uthoff transferred from Wisky to Iowa and I'm 90% sure he didn't lose a year.

EJ33

San Francisco
Remember, UK, MSU and various others offered Smith, so if you want to complain about Underwood's evaluation skills, better put Calapari and Izzo on your list too.

I don't recall those guys comparing Smith to Jason Kidd. That's the part that is way, way off base.

Deleted member 631370

D
Remember, UK, MSU and various others offered Smith, so if you want to complain about Underwood's evaluation skills, better put Calapari and Izzo on your list too.

Exactly.

And that's the reason why I never bought these arguments that Smith was simply adjusting to the game of basketball, he was a "project", he was playing up to his expectation given his baseball background, etc.

If he really was a "project" who wasn't reasonably expected to contribute early, then why were Calipari, Izzo, Matta, and others all over him? Do you really think Calipari recruits "project" guards?

The kid overpowered his competition in HS, and looked the part of an immediate impact player. Clearly, he didn't respond to adversity well, and once his confidence began to slip, it evaporated like air escaping a balloon.

I hope he eventually lives up to the hype, but he has a long, long way to go.

Not Power 5 Guard. Tweener-too slow for guard, and too short for guard! Betting on SLU! Close to home for sit out year, and playing.

Deleted member 654622

D
P7ssEJt.jpg

Seriously, it's memes and gifs like these that keep me coming back to this board. :thumb:

This is a mark against BU

It appears to be a mark against BU. I personally don't agree though.

Underwood was given a program with a lot of issues, and a big part of that was the roster and personnel. He had very, very little time to recruit for 2018 when he came in April. That requires tough decisions about who fits, who doesn't, and how much you stick with the current slate of prospects. If you have a good chance to land Mark Smith, I don't think you can find a better alternative at that stage even if there are concerns about fit. You bring him on board, give him PT, and see what he can do. If he's lost, you work with him. If he gives up on it, you do what was done in this case --grant the release no questions asked, and find guys who do fit.

I don't think this is a typical case due to the transition from Groce.

I think this has been brewing for the last 1/2-1/3 of the season. Every postgame interview BU had he was always praising Mark Smith. I think there has been on going discussions going on trying to encourage him but it just didn't work. For multiple reasons I believe he just wants to put this experiment behind him and reassess his future. I hope he has success what and wherever he chooses to land!

Underwood said. “I’ve said this privately and now I’ll say it publicly. In my 30 years as a college basketball coach, from the day that young man arrived on campus to this day right now, I’ve never seen a young man improve more than he has...He spends a ton of time on film. He lives and dies basketball and his commitment level is what has impressed me most.”

He’s a future point guard. There’s no question about that,” Underwood said.. “He can play a lot of places, but most importantly, he’s a point guard. It’s going to be fun to watch him play with the ball in his hands.”
I don't mean to be negative about Mark, but this evaluation was just wildly off-base.

I totally agree with EJ33 on this.

I've been thinking about something for most of the year while watching the Illini and in particular Smith and that's the Mr.Basketball title.
Most of the year I kept wondering would Smith would have won the title IF Goodwin would have been healthy all year? Or IF Williams would have been healthy all year? Or IF Ayo had been healthy all year? I didn't think so then and after watching his performance all year I definitely don't think so now either.

And Underwood's evaluation backs my thinking up IMO becdause if a Mr Basketball in Illinois is the most improved player he's seen in 30 years then we should have seen a lot more on the court from Smith than what we did. So, one of two things is correct....either Underwood's evaluation is totally wrong OR the talent wasn't that great that Smith had to beat out to win the Mr.Basketball award to begin with. Or both.

And the part about playing point guard anywhere. I don't think Smith is cut out for a power 5 conference point guard. Mid-major, I'd agree with.

Anybody else feel the same or am I totally off base?

And again, like EJ33 I'm not bashing Smith and wish him luck wherever he goes.

Also

I know people that have attended multiple practices and they said Bobby Knight and Gene Keady look soft compared to BU. Some people can thrive under that style, I for one could not! Some athletes go in a shell and lose confidence when that happens. I think that is part of the "don't fit the SYSTEM"

It's hard to fit into any system if you don't believe that you can fit into it.

On the other hand, the star Underwood "system" player at S.F. Austin was Thomas Walkup: a slow, 6'4" white frontcourt player with bum knees.

Never underestimate the power of the mind.

Deleted member 631370

D
Underwood did the right thing in recruiting Mark Smith heavily. No doubt about it.

It didn't work out. Smith's athleticism and ball handling didn't translate to this level. It happens. Highly touted prospects fail to live up to the hype all the time. Was it a mistake for Underwood to bring him aboard? No. Was it a mistake for Smith to come to Illinois? No. Sometimes, you don't know how things are going to turn out until stuff happens.

In Smith's case, he didn't handle adversity very well. He didn't mesh with Underwood's tone and style (apparently). And he fell behind the likes of Frazier in terms of PG play. How much of that was anticipated? Probably none of it.

But now we all know. And Smith is probably doing the right thing in transferring if he doesn't believe these problems can be overcome.

Nope. All the talent is there for him to be a very good college player. If he lands in the right situation he will excel.

he could have excelled here but something tells me the words "Point Guard" are key to this puzzle and we have two already, with a bun in the oven

Deleted member 649710

D
Exactly what kind of system will he fit?

This.

And the whole "he saw himself being recruited over" take is rather weak. Most programs recruit PGs in most every class. If he didn't think that he could earn more playing time at Illinois based upon his abilities, what does that tell you? It tells me that we're going to have a lot of good guards in Champaign.

Sorry to see Mark go, and best of luck in the future, unless his next team ever plays the beloved.

It's hard to fit into any system if you don't believe that you can fit into it.

On the other hand, the star Underwood "system" player at S.F. Austin was Thomas Walkup: a slow, 6'4" white frontcourt player with bum knees.

Never underestimate the power of the mind.
...who wasn't a great shooter

Blocking will not happen, the ILLINI would not want this and should not want this look with any player whom chooses for something better for themselves....especially a former Mr. Basketball of the state.

Wish Mark Smith the best of luck, thanks to his parents and himself for choosing the ILLINI and trying to make a difference as an in state kid. It just didn't work out for involved parties, doesn't mean he did not want to be here or want to change the culture. I believe he did and now realizes maybe there is something better suited for him and his talents/wants/needs.

I would say Creighton might be a very good fit, Butler as alluded too also, that type of offensive team.

Good Luck Mark Smith and thank you for your part in trying to revive ILLINI basketball.

breadman

Herndon, VA
I don't know. I just don't know.
Was really looking forward to seeing his sophomore level improvements.
Anyway, the best of luck to you Mr. Smith.

Prediction

Tom Crean will get a coaching job soon and Mark will follow.

Just a gut feeling!

Deleted member 631370

D
Well, Smith apparently admitted that "I just didn't fit the system".

In that sense, I agree with him. He's nowhere close to being a PG -- not here, anyway.

So in that sense, he's probably doing the right thing if his heart is set on PG.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
I was hoping he would stay and develop some skills. However, I never thought of him as being more than of a role player at best. He wasn't quick enough to guard the major college guards and I couldn't see that getting any better. My guess is that he saw that too and expected BU to recruit over him.

Smith was a big splash recruit and commit needed at the time....I quickly realized he was not as elite as advertised....stiff in the hips and usually a step slow in reaction time on both O & D....

I wish him well and not dissing him at all, just my humble assessment that he was not a high major player....belongs at a mid major where his bull rush to the basket won't be met with far superior players ready to swat it away easily....

Looking forward to how the off season progress's and how we assemble a squad of players with the enthusiasm of Trent Frazier and want to be a FIGHTING ILLINI

Status
Not open for further replies.