Mark Smith transferring to Missouri

Jeez, we gave the guy all the opportunities to succeed in the world and frankly, he stunk in B1G play.

I was not impressed with his athleticism either that so many others are saying will make him great if he develops at Mizzou. He was SO DAMN SLOW when I saw him play, like he looked incredibly stiff out there. Every time he would bull rush the basket in B1G play, when he realized he couldn't just overpower players like he did in HS he just threw the ball away or got stuffed. I can't recall a play where he ever really amazed me with his hops or finishing ability. Granted he does seem incredibly strong for his age but that's a trait more essential for a small or power forward, not from a guy who wants to be our "point guard" lmao

Rewatch some games this year and pay attention to how fluid and quick Frazier is on the court compared to how sluggish MS looked in B1G, now THATS what we need from our lead guard.

He's an Illinois Mr basketball and has proven talent.
Yes he struggled as a freshman in the BIG, but has the potential to be really good in years 3,4, and 5 with maturity. I believe illinois would have been better in the long run if he would have stayed than left, and he left because of a coach that's making a zillion dollars and won 4 BIG 10 games and made some questionable game strategy moves, yet everyone always gives him a pass because he's new.
I'll bet this kid has a really nice career at Missouri, some of which will now be at Illinois' expense.

Yes he struggled as a freshman in the BIG, but has the potential to be really good in years 3,4, and 5 with maturity. I believe illinois would have been better in the long run if he would have stayed than left, and he left because of a coach that's making a zillion dollars and won 4 BIG 10 games and made some questionable game strategy moves, yet everyone always gives him a pass because he's new.
I'll bet this kid has a really nice career at Missouri, some of which will now be at Illinois' expense.

And post number 2. Congrats Mr. Smith.

I completely agree that he could have developed into a good contributor here as an underclassman, but I'm curious as to what "strategy moves" BU made that was the cause of MS utterly stinking it up on the court in B1G? Should he have kept Mark at the point when Trent Frazier (a much more unheralded recruit) completely passed him up and had great games against high B1G competition and not Depaul or Augustana? That is 100% ludicrous.

Mark Smith is a good kid by all accounts, but the fact of the matter is that he experienced adversity for probably the first time in his basketball career and decided to let people get in his and his parents ear and then decided to quit and not tough it out. To put any modicum of blame on Brad Underwood for that is frankly, stupid :hand:. Meyers Leonard had an extremely disappointing freshman year (as a higher ranked recruit than Mark) and guess what? He stuck with it, worked on his game, broke out his sophomore year and got drafted into the NBA where he now makes millions.

If anything BU made a mistake by overhyping Mark which might have led to his disappointment and resentment when he ran into the wall during the season. As fans, we might all share some blame in that to be quite honest with you.

But please, elaborate more on how having Damonte inbound the ball against Maryland was the reason for Mark not being able to bulldoze his way into the paint during B1G play while repeatedly throwing the ball away and/or getting rejected at the rim.

Last edited:
I can't believe there are nearly 200 posts about someone who isn't on the team anymore ... he gone, and I don't care that he is ... i believe BU is making quick upgrades to the talent on the team, and that is what really matters ... not where some former player, who did not look like he was going to be a significant contributor here, transferred to.

+1000
Can't believe we're still talking about MS.
He's gone...let's get better players and move on.
Go ILLINI!

Deleted member 631370

D

You seriously need to work on your trolling game. It's bad. Really, really bad.

SKane

Tennessee
I was going to try to be post 200 but you all beat me to it.

I wish Mark well, except when he plays against Illinois.

Because he is gone, I won't spend a whole lot of time wishing him well. I'll be following the players who want to play for Illinois instead.

Im a Mark Smith fan. Not a BU fan yet, I gotta see it.
The Maryland game was won if you inbound the ball anywhere. Why would a good coach let a true freshman (DW) inbound the ball! Coaching mistake. Haphazard substitutions at times. As soon as 1 mistake was made, that player gets yanked from the game, results in tentative play and no game flow or rythym. Who would want to play in that system.. Yes, as a true freshman, MS wasnt great defensively either. But just wait till he matures and we get him finishing those 3 BR games making ALL his free throws with the lead at the end of the game like the DePaul game. Would have been smart to have excluded Mizzou from his possible transfer list.
We haven't seen the last of MS, am sorry he transferred but I understand why. He wasn't alone and I bet at least 2 of the new 6 transfer a year from now. There's a reason a home town guy is not happy and leaves.
Congrats to MS, great kid who gave the illini the first shot. He will love Columbia.

Disagree on your assesment of a quick hook. I'm assuming you never watched a game coached by Weber or Groce for the sake of comparison. As far as having DW in bounding the ball, to that point he graded out as having one of the higher basketball IQ's of anybody on the roster. Not sure I fault him there simply because DW was a true freshman. Not like he had a stable of upperclassmen to go to. Also pulling freshman in high leverage situations stunts development and would have meant even less playing time for Mark Smith.

Sorry to see Mark leave. I think his best days are ahead of him. I hope he makes a boatload of money playing in the pros some day and that his time at Mizzou is absolute disaster (I understand the two are somewhat incompatible).

If nothing else he added some spice to the boarder war which is a good thing. So thanks for the memories and hope 2017 is his only boarder war win.

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL

He was a proven talent in HS. As was Alex Legion, which you should remember, being an Illini fan and all.

Sometimes HS prowess does not transfer to the next level. I think MS will have a better chance of improving and being successful at Miznoz than at Illinois. Will he struggle when he plays teams with high pressure and extended defense? I believe he will, if he's playing the point. It will be interesting to see where Cuonzo plays him. If he keeps him at the point, or moves him off the ball at the 2 or 3.

If he does move him, I hope his parents are okay with it.

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL

No. Just no. I saw absolutely zero out of him that made me think he'd be a serviceable power conference BENCH player, let alone starter. Very little motor, not scrappy, just plain lost on defense. Those aren't things that improve with time in a system.

But nice rip on Underwood. Unlike others, I don't think you're related to the Smiths, I think you're related to John Groce.

No. Just no. I saw absolutely zero out of him that made me think he'd be a serviceable power conference BENCH player, let alone starter. Very little motor, not scrappy, just plain lost on defense. Those aren't things that improve with time in a system.

But nice rip on Underwood. Unlike others, I don't think you're related to the Smiths, I think you're related to John Groce.

And his face showed that he was lost and in over his head. I think that was the most telling visual for me.

Normally, I support the kids who don't work out at Illinois and decide to transfer, but the way this one was handled, and some of the quotes and shenanigans, makes this one hard for me.

It's hard for me because I can clearly connect the dots as to what happened here behind the scenes, and how the influencers clearly had an intent on damaging Coach Underwood and the Illini basketball brand.

So no, I will not be wishing Smith good luck at his new school. He is a rival, and no Illini fan should root for a rival that is trying to damage the Illini brand.

Simple as that.

I feel like Russian/Iowaian trolls started this thread separate from the transfers thread.

Sal Iacuzzo

Yonkers, NY

Why couldn't Smith improve his defense, scrappiness and motor (whatever those last two even mean)?

I think he would have succeeded at Illinois (as a wing) and will succeed at Mizzou (as a wing).

What is clear is he is not a PG.

Deleted member 654622

D
Im a Mark Smith fan. Not a BU fan yet, I gotta see it.

You really need to work on your trolling game, because this is just too transparent.

You can't open your post with "I'm a Mark Smith fan, but not a BU fan yet because I gotta see it".

I am surprised you didn't pick up on the "show me state" oozing out of his trolling as well :thumb:

1f0f6d6bf12751b4934e05fd8d4103c9.jpg

Lateral quickness, that is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk