Marquez Beason out for season with knee injury

Per Twitter..Beason will have season ending knee surgery. Tough. Directly from Lovie thru WCIA.

Worst possible outcome. Wish him the best in his recovery.

The only shining light here is the timeline in that his recovery should not leak deep into 2020. He should be full go for camp and the start of that season.

Last edited:

TwoElevenEastDaniel

Cochrane's-Orchid-Tonic
I am rooting for Marquez both on and off the field. I want to see him recover fully and chase his dreams.

I will say that in this climate where impact recruiting may not be in our favor, essentially adding Marquez and Luke Ford with a senior Brandon Peters (yes, I know that a soph Isaiah Williams may have something to say about that) surrounded by three gifted senior receivers and a stacked backfield may mean that another year of patience will be worth the eventual end result.

I am rooting for Marquez both on and off the field. I want to see him recover fully and chase his dreams.

I will say that in this climate where impact recruiting may not be in our favor, essentially adding Marquez and Luke Ford with a senior Brandon Peters (yes, I know that a soph Isaiah Williams may have something to say about that) surrounded by three gifted senior receivers and a stacked backfield may mean that another year of patience will be worth the eventual end result.

I don’t think another year of patience is asking too much, provided the team puts a much improved product on the field next year. Next year is certainly the year we have been building for. But losing only two pieces, while adding so much experience, strength,etc. warrants improvement. Although we dont have the best ends in big ten play, we still have sufficient talent to get us off the field without allowing touchdowns every drive. We have a solid group of tackles. We might not have an award winning qb, but a good enough qb to score against big ten talent. No matter what the roster looks like, we should field a team that can hang with most teams this season. And we will need to upset teams this season. Otherwise, the culture that we set the program on fire to build will be the same culture we have had for awhile.

First selfish thought is that now we'll only get to see him play two seasons. Still two more than we probably deserve.

With no news on the injury, it is he’s to know if it is season or career ending. At this point, we have to pray that he recovers and can play again

Marquez, said that he would be back better and stronger, so i'll go with that. No pressure=big trouble. I'm usually optimistic about Illini, but defense has MUCH to prove. I agree, with Thunder, it is time for Illini to pull off a upset this year. Not sure when that last happened.

Deleted member 649710

D
Tough break for this young man. I wish him a speedy recovery and look forward to seeing him come back stronger next season.

With no news on the injury, it is he’s to know if it is season or career ending. At this point, we have to pray that he recovers and can play again

Tate said it was a non contact injury. Career threatening non contact injuries are rare, so we have that going for us.

"I don't think patience is asking too much, so long as we get it right now" ;)

I don’t think it’s too much to ask for patience with wins, but we need to see defensive stops and being in games through the end. Particularly if one or two positions are what’s stopping us

Tate said it was a non contact injury. Career threatening non contact injuries are rare, so we have that going for us.

No, they’re not. Career ending injuries and non-contact injuries have no real correlation. It’s simply depends on what the actual diagnosis is. If it’s an ACL, he’s gonna be fine. Long road ahead of him, sure but fine. If it’s his patellar tendon, he’s...I don’t even want to say it.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Recover quickly, Marquez. Work hard, and come back as strong and fast as ever... :illinois:

I prefer stronger and faster, but, yeah. If there is a silver lining, it's that he has a good chunk of time for rehab (so he doesn't have to rush it) and has great medical and training support.

What's the ballpark percentage of people who have knee injuries that are recurring in football?

I don’t think another year of patience is asking too much, provided the team puts a much improved product on the field next year. Next year is certainly the year we have been building for. But losing only two pieces, while adding so much experience, strength,etc. warrants improvement. Although we dont have the best ends in big ten play, we still have sufficient talent to get us off the field without allowing touchdowns every drive. We have a solid group of tackles. We might not have an award winning qb, but a good enough qb to score against big ten talent. No matter what the roster looks like, we should field a team that can hang with most teams this season. And we will need to upset teams this season. Otherwise, the culture that we set the program on fire to build will be the same culture we have had for awhile.

Remember when I said this? We hadn’t hit week two on our 4th and 5th dBs. If we don’t get our secondary healthy, this could be problematic