Maryland 59, Illinois 58 POSTGAME

Deleted member 533939

D
It was almost as dumb as not using that time out to set up a play for the final possession. Game is tied. You have the ball and the shot clock is turned off. There’s absolutely no way you should lose in regulation. Absolute worst case scenario is you go to overtime.
I don't mind not calling a timeout, but the ball should have been in Ayo's hands. Not calling a timeout wasn't forfeiting the game. The timeout he did take was forfeiting the game.

You can argue the lack of a time out on offense when we had the ball I really believe. I would have called one as we could not buy a basket the entire second half, but I don’t think that is either good or bad coaching (just a choice). Now calling a timeout between free throws was simply stupid. For those of you too young Lou Henson beat Indiana by throwing an inbound pass to half court. Called a timeout and Nick Anderson hit a shot about 5 feet further out than Cowans.

I have no idea what Underwood was thinking in that play. Every team will try fo miss that free throw under those conditions (no timeouts remaining). Underwood really needs to go he is not really up to the task of coaching at this level. You simply can’t do what he did today. No guarantee you can hit the shot, but you have to give your kids a chance to win. Just stupid no other words for it?

If you're the coach and the ball is not in Ayo's hands then you absolutely burn your last timeout to set up the final play of regulation. I agree 100% the timeout between free throws was baffling but if there is a designed play on the final possession then Cowan isn't shooting free throws anyway.

This! Thank you!

Anybody feel like this team is mirroring the Bears this year? High expectations and hitting some adversity early? Feel like there's a lot of parallels. Ayo and Trubisky were having a lot of high expectations thrown around about them (both rightfully so after showing flashes last year), but are taking a while for things to click.

Flight#33

Flight#33
Anybody feel like this team is mirroring the Bears this year? High expectations and hitting some adversity early? Feel like there's a lot of parallels. Ayo and Trubisky were having a lot of high expectations thrown around about them (both rightfully so after showing flashes last year), but are taking a while for things to click.

If you're going to have parallels with Illinois and the Bears, I'm going to have quit being an Illinois fan. I almost puked

Turgeon made it sound like the game was close because their team had not been able to rest from their schedule, and thus did not play with much energy.
“5 games in 9 days” or something like that.
So the team may get the sense that they are “growing up” as BU put it, but it was only because Maryland was playing on empty, and then not be fully prepared for Michigan.

Ironically, if Trent made the second free throw, Illinois is up by 4 before Maryland's last possession and Illinois wins the game. This completely changes how almost everyone on this forum feels,and all the 'poor coaching decisions" are forgotten.

Well - they do have the banners that kind of prove my point.

4 Banners between them (Duke / Kentucky) in the past 20yrs, 3 in the past 10 (more of the one and dome era), 30% with the most talent is hardly a statement that the best talent wins. With that talent, should they have a competitive advantage, absolutely.

If we win tonight, is it because we have talent? Since we didn’t we don’t.... We have the talent to be a top 20 team. Are we playing it? We have more experience than most teams we will play, is the end of game execution the past 2 games as good as we can do? Our press break setup was pathetic.. How do we practice for those situations?

Agree with what someone posted , Meachem said, Illini are not a good shooting or passing team, again. Disagree with the we will be fine stuff. But here's what baffles me, the outlook some have. This is a game we weren't supposed to win they say. After all we were playing the #3 team in the country on their home floor. This game wasn't counted as a win before the season started.
Don't you get it. Teams in Illinois' position that win a game like this greatly enhance that resume in the end. A victory like this would go a long way. Now, if you have no chance to win, okay, but if your by 7 with around 4 minutes left winning the game is reasonable expectation. You had a real good chance to win a game nobody thought you would.
I disagree with the narrative that the players on the floor win or lose the games. The Underwood wasn't on the floor nonsense. The guy on the sideline that coaches practice including the physical and mental aspects of the game has o LOT to do with the outcome. Do players share in this responsibility, of course, but so does that guy on the sideline.
And i don't think this team is mentally tough and i put some of that on, Underwood. That's something a coach instills in his players each practice just like he does the offensive and defensive schemes they run.
What's Underwood say, we grew up lot. Well, i disagree, but we will see. I support all the coaches and players 100%, but this was a very winnable game, but they wilted.

Ironically, if Trent made the second free throw, Illinois is up by 4 before Maryland's last possession and Illinois wins the game. This completely changes how almost everyone on this forum feels,and all the 'poor coaching decisions" are forgotten.

No, I would still be frustrated... I was excited when Underwood was hired as a great coach / tactician.. For two years he had to clean house and install his system which I understand. Now with his players and loads of experience where is the great cutter / picking offense that his people posted on YouTube for us novices to follow? We had to go to an AAU weave towards the end? We can’t run a simple in bounds play to get someone open? Our press break, we ought to be thankful they didn’t throw it on sooner, the game would have been over sooner.

While I have been overly critical of Underwood this evening, I did not expect Groce #2 when he was hired...

Imo BU could earn a tiny bit of respect IF he would admit when he called the last timeout it limited our chance to win to a 1/2 court toss..that was BEYOND DUMB as soon as he called that timeout we lost. What a joke for a coach to do that..Maryland s coach loved that! Its beyond stupid of BU. BU wouldnt have missed on purpose or ge would realize that. He was caught fitslly OJ f guard and making millions...I looked when dre made the foul n said thank god we have a timeout n BU pissed it away...wow. LOU wouldnt do that

Last edited:

Deleted member 336259

D
Just my thoughts. I know they are coming from the couch but at least to me they make sense.

1. Damonte, Kipper and Andres cannot be on the floor together. That only leaves you with maybe 1 shooter on the floor (if Trent is in the game). 2 of the 3 pass up on way too many shots and the other is only really effective driving the ball. I get it, it is a defensive alignment but when we still give up points and can't score on the other end.........does it really make sense?

2. I also don't think Ayo and Trent should ever be on the floor together. Since Ayo's arrival, Trent has taken a back seat. Granted, he has upped his 3 point percentage, he has regressed as a play maker when Ayo in on the court with him. Split them up and let Trent take over when he is in, let Ayo run it when he is in. Trent is more mature now and should know when he needs to be the man or get his team mates involved. If Brad wants to play that !!!!!! line-up above, give them Ayo and Kofi and let Trent run with Alan, Tev, Giorgi and BBV/Jermaine.

3. Alan and Tevian need to play more than Kipper and Damonte. Crap, even giving them the same number of minutes would be a good start. If you think for one minute that you can throw out 2 players for 30+ minutes a game each and they are RARELY going to attempt a shot that it is going to help you win........Combined they have 57 attempts in 302 minutes. Alan himself has 49 in 120 minutes. Kip and Damonte only have 10 more points combined than Alan has by himself (remember, that is with a whole extra game). Give Tev a shot and I am sure he will take his shots too. I know Tevian dug his own hole to start the season but he was supposed to be back tonight.........right?????

4. I know that one of our biggest issues the last couple of years has been on the defensive end because we pressured too much and gave up too many easy baskets. That being said, now that we have a rim protector I feel like we need to start using that high pressure defense again. Not exclusively but mix it in with the current D as well as mix in some zone. IMO, the high pressure D should come in in cases like tonight were we weren't able to hit shots and the opponent starts cutting into the lead. It would be something the hadn't seen earlier in the game and could disrupt what they want to do.

-I think NOT calling a timeout at the end is absolutely the right call. Andres has proven he can create and hit a tough shot. But, he turned it over and then compounded it by a bad foul. 9 out 10 times, even at Illinois that sequence leads to overtime or a win.
-@ 1:07 left we called a timeout. Kofi should have been substitued in for the offensive set. He would have drawn Smith as a defender and would have given Giorgi a better match up.
BU calling a timeout between free throws was an aggregious error.
I'm not as high on Griffin as most but he should have had more minutes in the second half.
-Would really love to see what BU win loss record is in one possession games at Illinois
-When is the last time we have won playing on ESPN or Espn2? Years I think!

Go back and watch a replay of the game and you will see that both teams missed TONS of wide open looks. Both teams can talk about defense but, if you watch the game again, you will see that players just missed wide open shots.
Agreed
Thinking the same thing. Either team shoots over 40 percent its an easy victory
Not likely much would be said about the officiating if we had won.
Not likely much would be said about the coaching if we had won
UW is 11- 28 now in Big Ten play, I will without judgment till the end of the season.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
I guess I should feel better about this game as some type of moral victory but I don't. Not after leading much of the game by double digits. Not into year three of Underwood and seeing the same problems over and over again. Do we have any other play to run at the end of games other than iso one of our guards and have them go against a double team? They're not even getting a shot off. I just don't get all this talk about Ayo being a lottery pick. I think he's a fine player and I'm happy he's an Illini but a lottery pick player should be carrying the team on his back and dominating games. We supposedly have two guys that are going to leave early to be drafted in the first round and these are the results we get? Quite an indictment of Underwood. I know it's early and there is a ton of season left to play but there is so little margin for error to make the tournament.

Deleted member 29907

D
Do we seriously think a B1G, D1, experienced coach needs our TO to tell his player to miss the 2nd free throw? How many of you were thinking the same thing after he made the first?

Did we consider that BU probably thought that was the likely intent and the only answer was to call a TO to set up a 'missed free throw' play - which is what we did.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just my thoughts. I know they are coming from the couch but at least to me they make sense.

1. Damonte, Kipper and Andres cannot be on the floor together. That only leaves you with maybe 1 shooter on the floor (if Trent is in the game). 2 of the 3 pass up on way too many shots and the other is only really effective driving the ball. I get it, it is a defensive alignment but when we still give up points and can't score on the other end.........does it really make sense?

2. I also don't think Ayo and Trent should ever be on the floor together. Since Ayo's arrival, Trent has taken a back seat. Granted, he has upped his 3 point percentage, he has regressed as a play maker when Ayo in on the court with him. Split them up and let Trent take over when he is in, let Ayo run it when he is in. Trent is more mature now and should know when he needs to be the man or get his team mates involved. If Brad wants to play that !!!!!! line-up above, give them Ayo and Kofi and let Trent run with Alan, Tev, Giorgi and BBV/Jermaine.

3. Alan and Tevian need to play more than Kipper and Damonte. Crap, even giving them the same number of minutes would be a good start. If you think for one minute that you can throw out 2 players for 30+ minutes a game each and they are RARELY going to attempt a shot that it is going to help you win........Combined they have 57 attempts in 302 minutes. Alan himself has 49 in 120 minutes. Kip and Damonte only have 10 more points combined than Alan has by himself (remember, that is with a whole extra game). Give Tev a shot and I am sure he will take his shots too. I know Tevian dug his own hole to start the season but he was supposed to be back tonight.........right?????

4. I know that one of our biggest issues the last couple of years has been on the defensive end because we pressured too much and gave up too many easy baskets. That being said, now that we have a rim protector I feel like we need to start using that high pressure defense again. Not exclusively but mix it in with the current D as well as mix in some zone. IMO, the high pressure D should come in in cases like tonight were we weren't able to hit shots and the opponent starts cutting into the lead. It would be something the hadn't seen earlier in the game and could disrupt what they want to do.

So are you cutting Trent or Ayo to 10 minutes per game or both to 20? You want to see how much Frazier “regresses” in those conditions?

Need to let this game go. Move on to the next one, which is another big one before Missouri, then a few cupcakes.

This is an absolutely schizophrenic fan base... irrational at times. If I look at football, it's almost comical. After EMU(Lovie should be fired), after four game win streak and a bowl(Hope he doesn't leave for a bigger position), after losing to NW(He should be fired and a bowl doesn't matter), after seeing all of the post season accolades, the warm weather bowl game and huge recruiting weekend(He's got the program on firm ground).

Same with basketball. We can't get a verbal from an elite player (Miller) without negativity, we lose a tight one at Maryland that we really did gift away, though that bomb from three was a Christmas miracle as Ayo said(People want BUs head), if we beat Michigan and Missouri he'll be a great coach again, if we go to the tournament people will worry about him leaving for a Blueblood and if we don't to to the tournament people will go through a laundry list of coaches we should be hiring.

The only other fan base that rivals this mentality is Bears fans when it comes to Trubisky and Nagy. They were 12-4 last year, Nagy was coach of the year, Trubisky played in the Pro Bowl and there were Superbowl expectations. Trubisky gets off to a tough start, dislocates his left shoulder, struggles and people want him, Nagy and Pace on the next train out of town. Now, he goes 4-1 with a 99.7 QBR over the last five games and the....see, I told you so's come out.

I have no clue where this post belongs, but I stuck it here because it fits the narrative of the current issue with the basketball team. I'm not saying to not be disappointed. I'm certainly disappointed, but big picture....whatever. It would have been SWEET to have a win over a top 5 on the road. Didn't happen. We still have what...three more non conference games, then 19 conference games left? There are peaks and valleys with all teams and fans.....however, Illinois fans have mountains and craters that literally swing from game to game.

We beat Hampton(We're back!), we lose at Maryland (Underwood's awful!), beat Michigan (We're back!)....

Take a breath, we lost, get over it....move on to the next one, then the one after and let's see it all play out!

Happy Sunday to all my Loyalty/Illini brothers!

Last edited:
Too many bad calls against the Illini on the offensive end of the floor refs controlled the game by jobbing Illinois on the offensive end worst thing you can do to a team