Maryland 59, Illinois 58 POSTGAME

Couldn't he accomplish that by calling over one of the guards and telling them to stand next to the ref ready to call the timeout as soon as the ft misses?
On the road the timekeeper is going to have a quick trigger.

On the road the timekeeper is going to have a quick trigger.
Fair, but I still think the best option is the timeout to draw up a play. Admittedly the chances of a win only raise from like 0.1% to 1% (totally making up those numbers), so it's not like it really cost us the game.

What I saw on Saturday was an Illini team that was clicking for the first 3/4 of the game and a team that took the #3 team in the nation to the wire on their home court. This is the same team that battled back from a 27 point deficit the previous game it was heartening to see us come out strong in this game and not allow us to be in a position where we had to dig out of the hole. We have improved greatly since the Arizona game.

At the end of the day we came up short and didn't secure the W but I saw a lot of good things that make me think we're going to get a lot of W's this year.

I Bomb

Stylin' and Profilin'
What I saw on Saturday was an Illini team that was clicking for the first 3/4 of the game and a team that took the #3 team in the nation to the wire on their home court. This is the same team that battled back from a 27 point deficit the previous game it was heartening to see us come out strong in this game and not allow us to be in a position where we had to dig out of the hole. We have improved greatly since the Arizona game.

At the end of the day we came up short and didn't secure the W but I saw a lot of good things that make me think we're going to get a lot of W's this year.
That's one way to look at it, and I hope you're right.

I'm not calling for BU to be fired but who cares about Kenpom rankings? We don't WIN games. We were under .500 Underwood's first two seasons. That used to be unheard of in Illiniland. This year, we've lost to ever serious competitor.
Not every serious competitor we have a lot of big games left so we have opportunities we just need to get better

Fair, but I still think the best option is the timeout to draw up a play. Admittedly the chances of a win only raise from like 0.1% to 1% (totally making up those numbers), so it's not like it really cost us the game.
Best option is hit your free throws down the stretch.

This board kills me. I was at the game and I had to sit on the shuttle back to the parking lot for 40 minutes listening to a bus full of excited Maryland fans so trust me, it was a painful loss for me too, but we have 3 losses so far this season. 2 of those we were supposed to lose and the other one we should have won, but it was far from a gimme. We should have won tonight - we make more than 2 FG in the last ~11 minutes, Cowen doesn't hit that 35' jumper, we call a timeout and run a good play at the end of the game, etc. The fact all of those went south is excruciating, but if we would have played them close from behind the whole game and lost by 1 the board wouldn't be having this meltdown, it's the way in which we lost it is causing the meltdown here. To a point I get it, but a loss is a loss and this is a game we were supposed to lose handily, so enjoy seeing what this team is capable of. For everyone putting this loss solely on BU - he isn't the one that made 6 FGs in the entirety of the 2nd half and only 2 in the last 11 minutes. This loss goes on everyone, I'm sure if you asked the players they would agree that they didn't play well enough in the second half to win.

Side note: you should have heard all the Maryland fans complaining about the refs after the game. I honestly didn't think they were bad one way or the other. The long pauses to check replays were frustrating though.
I was at the game too, but not on the same bus I was. Hardly anyone talked, and they were all but a couple of us Maryland fans. What a somber crowd, knowing they had just dodged the bullet.

Not to open old wounds but I went back and watched the last 2 minutes of this game. Maryland missed so many jumpers and Illinois didn’t rebound which gave Maryland multiple possessions. I think if Kofi was in the game We would have won this game purely in reducing Maryland 2nd chance opportunties.

JFGsCoffeeMug

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago
Kofi also provides an offensive pressure relief valve. He can get us easy points, and with his significant improvements in free throw shooting, there is very little downside to having him in during late game situations.

Not to open old wounds but I went back and watched the last 2 minutes of this game. Maryland missed so many jumpers and Illinois didn’t rebound which gave Maryland multiple possessions. I think if Kofi was in the game We would have won this game purely in reducing Maryland 2nd chance opportunties.

Yup, Maryland with 2 OR's in the last 2 minutes didn't help but we didn't have a FG in the last 5. Tough to win when you don't score.

Yeah Wood screwed the pooch on that one. 4:00 left, Kofi should've been in the game.

Kofi also provides an offensive pressure relief valve. He can get us easy points, and with his significant improvements in free throw shooting, there is very little downside to having him in during late game situations.
Agreed. The only time I would sub him out at end is if there is a pick and pop condition where kofi is consistently getting beat.

Nah he would have fouled out. Go watch his 4 fouls and decide how many of those are typically called and how many similar calls weren’t made on players not named Kofi.

Deleted member 51

D
We have one of the better bigs in the country and a 1st round nba guard. We should be winning games like this.

Illini_1979

Oregon
Nah he would have fouled out. Go watch his 4 fouls and decide how many of those are typically called and how many similar calls weren’t made on players not named Kofi.
I would rather see him foul out after corralling a couple of those late game rebounds than sitting on the bench.