Maryland 59, Illinois 58 POSTGAME

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
You don't think the game changed when Kofi and Giorgi were racking up fouls. What was that 3 fouls on Kofi in 30 seconds? Yeah, that's the refs dude.
Bad shot selection, no ownership of the offense, passiveness instead of aggressiveness. I get that fouls change the strategy, but 2-14 isn't on the refs. That was only a part of it. This team doesn't know how to win and needs to learn fast.

Ineptitude in the half court offense.
Giorgi being a very selfish player and never passing.
Underwood not calling a TO to setup what should have been the final shot.
Kofi wasting the last 5 minutes on bench to save him for what? The last 2 seconds?
Refs gifting Maryland 2 FTs with no time left to win the game.

Make me fell better about this.
Giorgi shouldn't have taken those shots. He wasn't going to get a call no matter what. I wouldn't call him selfish.

This ones on Brad... again. A game we shouldn’t expect to win but should have. No poise in last 10 minutes. Went away from everything that was working in first half. I’m not on the fire Brad train but that finish was sadly what most of us have been conditioned to expect. The foul on feliz at the end was inexcusable from the refs. They let free throws decide it.

Feliz looked lost the entire 2nd half and shouldn't have been in the game. Period. Go 2 bigs. Foul trouble or not. Why wait until 2.1 seconds left to bring Kofi back in? Underwood seemed amateur tonight

Deleted member 649710

D
You’ll look at the box score, and almost all the stats will favor the Illini. They just missed FT, made turnovers and gave up a 35-foot 3 pointer at the absolute worst times. 😓

Deleted member 654622

D
giphy.gif

Relax people. We were playing the #3 team on the road. This wasn't a game we were expected to win; in fact we exceeded the expectations going into the game. That being said...TERRIBLE last minute. That timeout call was inexcusable. Not giving up on the season though. Michigan game will be very important.

I think we proved they are not a top 10 team tonight. This is on us.

Would’ve been a great resume game but alas no. Kofi fouls took us out of our game plan and snail pace 2nd half took us out of any rhythm. Need Ayo to step up in these late game moments esp if he’s first round NBA material. Lots of little things added up to this result. One rebound, one FT, one substitution, one call, etc.

sdfidaho

Boise, Idaho
Didn't see any of the game, but did listen to much it on the radio.
Obviously choked it away the second half.
But am I missing some big picture here?
Did this team not just go into the undefeated #3 ranked team's house; lead pretty much the entire game; much of which was by double digits?
If I didn't look at this Board, I would assume this team is getting better, but with some work still to do.
Apparently though, this team #%c@'s, Brad Underwood is clueless and there is no reason to watch this team the rest of this season.
Got it!

Freaking refs gave the game away. Unbelievable. But we seriously needed a timeout that last possession not one on one
No...we let Terps back in. Couple of close calls but we had a frickin 15 point lead and gave it away. Refs didnt give this away. Dre is more at fault than refs....and I don t place full blame on him, not the refs.

Deleted member 533939

D
Relax people. We were playing the #3 team on the road. This wasn't a game we were expected to win; in fact we exceeded the expectations going into the game. That being said...TERRIBLE last minute. That timeout call was inexcusable. Not giving up on the season though. Michigan game will be very important.
Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong. Sorry, I don't mean to be disrespectful, but just so utterly wrong.

LJ22

Chicago, IL
Ok...this thread is going to get hot stupid. I'm out.
Deservedly so.

A loss to the #3 team in the country is not bad.

A loss to the #3 team in the country after leading the whole game and giving away the win only one game after coming out and playing uninspired basketball again a mediocre Miami team is very bad.

Steelyunk

Tobacco Road
Ineptitude in the half court offense.
Giorgi being a very selfish player and never passing.
Underwood not calling a TO to setup what should have been the final shot.
Kofi wasting the last 5 minutes on bench to save him for what? The last 2 seconds?
Refs gifting Maryland 2 FTs with no time left to win the game.

Make me fell better about this.
The last bit... the foul call. They decided it.

Bad shot selection, no ownership of the offense, passiveness instead of aggressiveness. I get that fouls change the strategy, but 2-14 isn't on the refs. That was only a part of it. This team doesn't know how to win and needs to learn fast.
The game changed with the fouls. You don't run the same sets. You have people playing that in situations you wouldn't normally play them. Yeah, phantom calls are kind of like body blows. They eventually have an affect.

Deleted member 652352

D
If our offense doesn't fall apart in the last ten minutes, that long three pointer doesn't matter all that much.

This is why it’s such a painful loss. Maryland didn’t put together some furious comeback. They just continued playing and we found a way to implode and lose the game ourselves.

Deleted member 533939

D
You don't think the game changed when Kofi and Giorgi were racking up fouls. What was that 3 fouls on Kofi in 30 seconds? Yeah, that's the refs dude.
When did Kofi get his 5 foul requiring him to sit out the rest of the game? Errr, wait, he didn't. Stop blaming the refs.

purcy51

Nappanee, IN
While I agree with you re: not being expected to win, we had a chance for and desperately needed a signature win to keep our tourney hopes alive. I understand why people are upset.