Maryland 59, Illinois 58 POSTGAME

To be fair - the players have to execute. We NEVER look to hit cutters. That’s a huge part of this offense. I don’t think this squad gets it. Lots of people have pointed to the incongruity of our recruits vs recruiting to the system. So should he change the system? Maybe. Recruit different players? Maybe. Bottom line is we fought. We guarded and in the end we lost. That happens against good teams on the road. Tough to swallow.

Sorry, that game was a win, and no moral victory. I can question why he didn’t play this guy or that guy, however, my biggest question is why we don’t get the wide open looks other teams get? We have penetrators and shooters, but you would never know..

Giorgi 4
Cockburn 4 (3 of them in like 30 seconds)

Giorgi and Kofi had to sit for large parts of the second half. No Maryland players in foul trouble. No, not one. Did you miss that part? Geez man, if you aren't paying attention, why comment?
Because the referees did not lose this game for Illinois. Period. They call what they see and over 40 minutes....the calls were even.

Make shots, make free throws, don't turn the ball over, don't get stagnant....all on the five guys on the floor.

Deleted member 533939

D
Illinois went 1 for 3 on free throws when Maryland got the Flagrant 1. If I were a Maryland fan, I would be saying the refs were trying to put them away there. Illinois just couldn't execute.
That was super confusing to me. Am I crazy or did Ayo take the first one then Dre took the next 2? And why did we get 3?

Steelyunk

Tobacco Road
Sorry, that game was a win, and no moral victory. I can question why he didn’t play this guy or that guy, however, my biggest question is why we don’t get the wide open looks other teams get? We have penetrators and shooters, but you would never know..
Feliz is a penetrator. I don’t think anyone else is. I think that’s a big part of the problem.

This board is called Illinois Loyalty. Our guys just went toe to toe with the number three team IN THE COUNTRY on THEIR HOME COURT. And this board wants to skewer our coach and our players. I'm heartbroken. But let's not be that fickle and unsuppprtive fanbase that spews vitriol on our team.
We played our best defense all year. I don’t think anyone had a bad game. But Underwood definitely effed that up. He made them play slow the entire second half even tho Maryland locked us down in the half court. He didn’t have one set play to get us going, even out of timeouts. We came out of timeouts and the play was get it to Giorgi 15 feet from the basket and hope he does something. Not to mention he benched Kofi at the end of the game. Underwood lost that game for us even tho the players played their hearts out.

Here's some crazy ideas!
1. Try scoring more than 19 points in the second half.
2. Play Kofi when the game is on the line.
3. Call a timeout and draw up a final play.
4. Don't snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Oh yeah..... Can we stop blaming the refs.
Nope. It doesn’t matter how bad you played. When the game is decided on a 50/50 foul call 75 feet from the basket with 2 seconds left, you’ve been screwed.

You don’t have to play well to deserve a fair shake.

we're up by 15 freaking points it shouldn't have come down to the last play.
it appears that BU is a system coach and not a great in-game coach.

I felt we had less intensity in the second half and Maryland responded..... and we didn't counter-punch very well..... all comes down to coaching

Just finished on dvr. I think if I spent 2+ hours watching that instead of 1 hour I might have broke a bone at the end. Pretty sure I broke some furniture. Good effort against a solid team. Horrible coaching at the end (again). And mostly, just another chapter in “Why Do I Do This To Myself - The Story of Illini Fandom”

It is simply about MTXE...mental toughness extra effort. At least they had half of that tonight....but the MT was all used up somewhere before the last 10 minutes.

I think people are greatly undermining having to sit a 7'0 beast with an extremely high fg % that normally is no where close to foul trouble for most of the game. With that, they also undermine the difference in play when you have 4 fouls versus the condescending 5. It does reduce your efficacy. Lastly, everyone keeps saying just make shots - well if you have the aforementioned beast in the post it will open up the floor for folks to get easier shots. Putting the ball in the hoop is not itself a singular independent variable.

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
If you had told me before game we’d lose by 1 and I’d be livid, I would have been confused.
Usually you could use a 1 point loss on the road to the #3 team as a motivating tool “we can play with anyone,” but not the way this one played out. “We can choke to anyone!”

It seems that last game demonstrated the need for this team to have a time out for the last play.

On the other hand I don't understand why people think he misses the second only because we call the time out. We probably needed that to set up a play in case they did what they did which everyone thinks was obvious

This is a little out of context. I do not like listening to Dakich. But he called that a bad call and said it was a clean block. He said the comment about the officiating crew on a completely different call.
Fair enough, I'm just upset and looking for somewhere to point fingers. I'll admit blaming the refs is a cop out.

Watching the game with my brother and as soon as BU called that final TO I said that's it. They will likely miss it on purpose I hope the make it.

That was a bonehead move by a coach making what he does.

Deleted member 533939

D
I think people are greatly undermining having to sit a 7'0 beast with an extremely high fg % that normally is no where close to foul trouble for most of the game. With that, they also undermine the difference in play when you have 4 fouls versus the condescending 5. It does reduce your efficacy. Lastly, everyone keeps saying just make shots - well if you have the aforementioned beast in the post it will open up the floor for folks to get easier shots. Putting the ball in the hoop is not itself a singular independent variable.
Please tell me what they were saving Kofi for.

billybaroo

Pebble Beach, CA
I still believe this team has the potential to be very good. If we turn around and beat this team by 10-15 points at home then I will really start believing. That’s how we used to roll—get jobbed and lose by a couple on the road to good teams and then murder them at home (and take care of lesser competition along the way with an occasional slip up, of course). I long for those days again.

I wasn’t able to watch the game but was following the game tracker and team box scores. Thought it was interesting how Maryland only went 6 deep, and their 6th man only had 2 points (though they must have been important because when I noticed their apparent lack of depth late in the game he didn’t have any).