Maryland 59, Illinois 58 POSTGAME

No...we let Terps back in. Couple of close calls but we had a frickin 15 point lead and gave it away. Refs didnt give this away. Dre is more at fault than refs....and I don t place full blame on him, not the refs.
Cowan pulled georgis arms down so he could reach the ball in order to slap it away and georgi receives a foul because of it and that’s not on the refs watch the game again and the offensive end for Illinois the Illini should have won going away long before the Cowan prayer

Illinois went 1 for 3 on free throws when Maryland got the Flagrant 1. If I were a Maryland fan, I would be saying the refs were trying to put them away there. Illinois just couldn't execute.
That player Scott should have been tossed from the game fraiser was struggling from that point on so it effected the game by more than just a couple of free throws

I love this team. I didn't think for a second they even had a chance in MD after sleepwalking through Miami. And, I don't think they actually "slept" through Miami. What I actually think is these guys are pretty damned good and getting better. I think Underwood is an excellent coach who has cobbled together a whole bunch of talented nobody else thinks guys these are anything pieces. I like a 6 and 3 team that !!!!ing played Arizona and Maryland hard enough that I actually thought we were going to win. And this season has just begun. I like our team.

The Sprouting Divot

Invisible and Bulletproof
Miracle Mile
Not going into the game, no, we were not expected to win. Up by 14 at half and led the entire second half with under a minute to go, I expect them to win. Most people at that point, expected them to win.
87% win probability with less than 3 minutes left.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191208-083821_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191208-083821_Chrome.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 213
This isn't a !!!!ing betting situation... it's a team finding itself. So, go balls wonky if you want to...I love that Underwood has gotten these thrown together guys to be this competetive this early.

breadman

Herndon, VA
Most egregious: Frazier getting cold-cocked by that idiot from MD in the second half! Then, both announcers pushing the narrative that there is nothing to see here, keep moving!!!
Unbelievable.

Need to let this game go. Move on to the next one, which is another big one before Missouri, then a few cupcakes.

This is an absolutely schizophrenic fan base... irrational at times. If I look at football, it's almost comical. After EMU(Lovie should be fired), after four game win streak and a bowl(Hope he doesn't leave for a bigger position), after losing to NW(He should be fired and a bowl doesn't matter), after seeing all of the post season accolades, the warm weather bowl game and huge recruiting weekend(He's got the program on firm ground).

Same with basketball. We can't get a verbal from an elite player (Miller) without negativity, we lose a tight one at Maryland that we really did gift away, though that bomb from three was a Christmas miracle as Ayo said(People want BUs head), if we beat Michigan and Missouri he'll be a great coach again, if we go to the tournament people will worry about him leaving for a Blueblood and if we don't to to the tournament people will go through a laundry list of coaches we should be hiring.

The only other fan base that rivals this mentality is Bears fans when it comes to Trubisky and Nagy. They were 12-4 last year, Nagy was coach of the year, Trubisky played in the Pro Bowl and there were Superbowl expectations. Trubisky gets off to a tough start, dislocates his left shoulder, struggles and people want him, Nagy and Pace on the next train out of town. Now, he goes 4-1 with a 99.7 QBR over the last five games and the....see, I told you so's come out.

I have no clue where this post belongs, but I stuck it here because it fits the narrative of the current issue with the basketball team. I'm not saying to not be disappointed. I'm certainly disappointed, but big picture....whatever. It would have been SWEET to have a win over a top 5 on the road. Didn't happen. We still have what...three more non conference games, then 19 conference games left? There are peaks and valleys with all teams and fans.....however, Illinois fans have mountains and craters that literally swing from game to game.

We beat Hampton(We're back!), we lose at Maryland (Underwood's awful!), beat Michigan (We're back!)....

Take a breath, we lost, get over it....move on to the next one, then the one after and let's see it all play out!

Happy Sunday to all my Loyalty/Illini brothers!

The Bears are 7 and 6. Have not beaten anyone with a winning record. And could very easily finish 7 and 9. (GB, KC, and Minn). Just the kind of mediocrity that Illinois fans have had a belly full of. I do not know what is harder, being an Illini fan or a Bears fan, and unfortunately I have been both since I was about 8 years old. :)

Tied @58, 19 seconds left,. They didn't even get a shot off. Not rehashing it. Just saying, Indefensible.

Bad Coaching right there.

At that point both teams were in the double bonus and albeit it's a little more on the not to lose strategy, but I can only assume BU chose to go with a ball handling/free throw shooting lineup.
You don't get a lot of free throws when you dribble around in circles until the shot clock expires. Or then shoot a 30 foot contested shot with 1 second left on the shot clock.
When we have these leads, we keep going into "Prevent Defense" when we're on offense and it never works.

IlliniFN

Mt. Zion, IL
I don't mind not calling a timeout, but the ball should have been in Ayo's hands. Not calling a timeout wasn't forfeiting the game. The timeout he did take was forfeiting the game.
You say that like a full court pass resulting in a score with less than 2 seconds (less than 2 seconds because if he missed the free throw by the time you get the rebound and call timeout time will have elapsed) is a sure thing, or him even trying to intentionally MAKE a free throw is a sure thing. It may have reduced our chances to win by a ever so slight margin. The likely result of both situations is a nearly half court heave. He called the timeout to go over all plausible scenarios. I’m more upset about the lack of timeout on the previous possession, and I’m not entirely sure he wasn’t going to call a timeout. Typically in those situations with that much time you see how it develops and if nothing is there, take a timeout. The problem is Feliz forced it. I would’ve taken a timeout because the defense was set and our offense was sputtering. Take it and set up a play.

Last edited:

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
The following opinions are my own and I want to say I respect all posters opinions. as I want them to respect mine...this is a forum to share opinions and I like different opinions as that may help me in ,making my own posts...

1. regarding the officiating last night....I knew when I saw DJ bald head reffing last night that we were in an uphill struggle as he has ALWAYS been a poor ref and I think is biased against the Illini program..
The blatant elbow against Trent should have been a disqualification of the terp player as replays showed he raised his shoulder to match the level of his elbow to trent's jaw...Blatant flagrant 2 and for the announcers to say what they did was uncalled for and Dakich was more vocal in a non call than the other but it was a premeditated blow and he should have been ejected...
The elbow Dre took was more violent but , IMHO, wasn't premeditated by Cowan...But the rule doesn't take into account about premeditation for a flagrant 1 foul and Dre's bell was rung and it should have been aflagrant 1...the other announcer was right that intent is not the way the rule is written , but if a player makes contact with another player's head then that is a flagrant 1..
I really am trying to understand some posters saying you can't blame the refs for last nite as I saw numerous questionable calls and especially the last one with 2.1 seconds left....DJ bald head was behind the play and only after Cowan cried did DJ bald head come in with the call...the game hinged on that play and regardless of if we made our FTs or only scored x amount of points in last etcetc, that call decided the game's outcome at that time....

Now.......
Did BU make mistakes ? Undoubtedly, YES...Most successful coaches call a timeout with the ball in a tied game with the shotclock off and only 15 seconds left in the game...that is when he should have inserted Kofi back in (if not even sooner)...the play should have been to attack the basket and pass down to Kofi for a bucket or a foul at @ 7-8 secs left giving time for a rebound ..Griffin should have been in also as he is our best Off. rebounder...

We lost a game we should have won against the 3rd ranked team in the poll on the road...reminds me of so many games we SHOULD have won since BU has been here..This game will sting for years for me as I really don't care for turgeon and his team at all...

The last 2 games will haunt us all season and if we don't learn from these losses then another season goes down the drain and this fanbase will be more bitter as each game comes and goes....

We have to have a leader step forward , not to be a big scorer, but to be the big VOICE that leads this team to the post season...We have talent, but it isn't being used efficiently and correctly or we could be 8-1 and having a sweet ride looking forward to scUM at home..

Once again, JMHO

Last edited:
Too many bad calls against the Illini on the offensive end of the floor refs controlled the game by jobbing Illinois on the offensive end worst thing you can do to a team
The officiating last night was like any other. You can pick it apart, but it’s still there. Good teams learn to adjust and know they only control their own effort and play. I’ll be glad when the Illini turns the corner (they will) and there is less conversation about incidentals (officiating). Right now, they seem to be locked into Ayo being “the man”. He needs to start being “the man”, or Underwood needs to find other options at the end of games. I know Ayo wants to get to the league now, but it’s obvious he’s got some things to work on. Not every player is on the same time table.

The Bears are 7 and 6. Have not beaten anyone with a winning record. And could very easily finish 7 and 9. (GB, KC, and Minn). Just the kind of mediocrity that Illinois fans have had a belly full of. I do not know what is harder, being an Illini fan or a Bears fan, and unfortunately I have been both since I was about 8 years old. :)
Same. :). The Cubs took me under as well, but they rewarded us, as well as the Hawks and Bulls(though they suck now).

altgeld88

Arlington, Virginia
Ahh the pain of being a sports fan.
Have a feeling this team will make it up to us.

Lol. Reminds me of the old subtitle of the Florida Gators football blog Every Day Should Be Saturday:

Second-guessing the split-second decisions of 19-year-olds since 200X

This game made me angry. Miami was just perplexing, but this one hit a nerve. I will say on a mildly positive note - @AZ and @MD are two of the toughest places to play in the country and both are great teams this year. In both, we came out on the road and looked like we belonged and took it to them early. Very unlike the charmin Groce years where the guys were down 20 on the road as soon as they heard a boo.

TO usage aside, I do think BU can coach and scheme well. I've come to the conclusion that this team has a fatal flaw that erodes all of his scheming. Aside from Trent (and Griffin at times) we can't shoot -- at all. As soon as teams shade out on TF and shade in on KC, the offensive flow collapses. That is why we luck so puzzlingly inept in the half court. The screening and cutting is completely pointless because there is too much traffic inside to get free looks. It winds up being wasted energy and shot clock every time.

On 3 pt shooting:

(i) Ayo is at 28% and that number is killing us. The reason he looks hesitant this year is that teams are cutting off his drive game and he can't make them pay.

(ii) Feliz used to be competent but has regressed to 25%. Even worse, he doesn't look to pull the trigger either, so teams know his drive game and cut it off.

(iii) Teams are leaving GB WIDE FREAKING OPEN outside and he won't pull the trigger. He keeps doing that stupid jump pass - which worked this year until teams realized he isn't going to shoot and just play the pass.

(iv) I love DMW as a human being. Plus defender, aggressive rebounder, solid human being. But he cannot make anything outside of a 2 hand dunk. Even worse, he is terrified when he gets the ball on offense and immediately looks to get rid of it asap.

Remember when BU was hired and we looked at his cutting, high-flying offense and envisioned a parade of alley oops?? Have we seen even ONE against a P5 opponent this year? There is a reason - who in the world on this team would you even dream of throwing an alley opp to? Kofi can wreck a rim, but generally needs to catch and gather. Kipper could do it athletically, but his timing has been shot for 2+ years. Who else?

So - this is the reason our team seems worse than the sum of the parts - the particular weaknesses of our good personnel are horribly overlapping and it doesn't take Tom Izzo to gameplan against it.

IF ONLY there was a guy on our roster athletic enough to make hard cuts for dunks and was a competent and aggressive 3 point shooter....

GOOD LORD WE NEED TEVIAN JONES IN THE ROTATION

I am convinced we are 8-1 and maybe 9-0 with a healthy, focused, aggressive TJ option -- maybe even as a starter from the start of this year. $%!#$%

After sleeping on it, a lot of positives from this game and brings hope for the season, but still sucks that we lost. Two wins this week probably bumps us up 2-3 seeds if we make the tourney or if we don’t make the tourney, we’re probably looking at the two games this week as being why.

Lot of good points here...we need to get wings open and they need to shoot it with confidence. Otherwise, they will keep clogging the lane. We knew the jump pass would have a short shelf life...teams are scouted.

GOOD LORD WE NEED TEVIAN JONES IN THE ROTATION

I am convinced we are 8-1 and maybe 9-0 with a healthy, focused, aggressive TJ option -- maybe even as a starter from the start of this year. $%!#$%

Very solid until the last two sentences. We don't know what Tevian is right now. Miami kicked our @ss in the second half and no way Tevian is capable of making up the difference. Lets just see him play out the season before we start anointing him the next lottery pick on our team.

Very solid until the last two sentences. We don't know what Tevian is right now. Miami kicked our @ss in the second half and no way Tevian is capable of making up the difference. Lets just see him play out the season before we start anointing him the next lottery pick on our team.
I know. It's not that I think he's the savior or even one of our 3-4 best players in a vacuum. It's just that his particular skillsets fit into the rotation would completely change the look of our sets. I feel that Griffin could do that too, but he apparently is not playing well enough on defense to merit more minutes at this point. I was encouraged that BBV got some minutes, but he looks a little freshman tentative out there. Would love to see him hoist 2-3 threes a game if GB isn't going to do it.

After seeing how eager half of our fan base is to replace BU, consider this:
Year one- Kenpom ranking 102
Year two-84
This year-43

We have an amazing 2020 class signed or committed while only losing KN, AF and possibly AD. Plus two players sitting and practicing daily with the team in JG and AH.

BU has done what we all wanted and is rebuilding the program. Steady progress is being made and patience (something lacking in Illini Nation) is needed to construct any semblance of normalcy here. Constant coaching changes only hinder the program and further discourages top recruits from considering Illinois as a viable option.

The instant gratification of this generation is no more evident than on this board. We aren’t the elite program of the past. This will take time to change, and improvements are being seen quicker than many realize (see kenpom rankings above).

Did we let one slip away? Yes! Everyone has skin in this loss; the players, coaches, officials, and especially the opposing players!

Let’s move on to the next one hopeful and a better program having been through this loss. The future is bright for this program. Let’s let it play out with this team and the future recruits.

You don't have to worry about "christmas miracles" if you score more than 19 points the second half. My goodness call a time-out and get Kofi in the game at the end. For all the BU apologist that is bad coaching. And he doesn't have him in the game the last 5 minutes or so, because he didn't want to upset the flow defensively. MD, says a hearty thank you!
I am not a schizo fan, because i don't like what i'm seeing thus far from BU or the team. For the record i wasn't on the fire Lovie wagon this year either, as disappointed as i was. My thoughts were 1 more no matter what. Games against Hampton, Lindewood meant nothing to me, those games indicate nothing.
My impression early on was this team believed the hype which was meaningless. They struggle to an OT win against Nicholls and use that learning tool (hear that nonsense so much) and come out completely unprepared mentally to win a game against, Miami. And yes, i put a lot of the mental preparation on BU for not getting this team to realize that you haven't won a dang thing in 2 years, so we're going to be ready each and every game from the tip.d
And yes i question his coaching. We lose a game against MD 2 years ago in Champaign, because we can't the ball in bounds (horrible set up). So, what did we learn from that teaching moment. We have a 1 point lead or tie situation at United Center with about 30 or so seconds on the clock. Illini ball out of bounds on baseline toward corner. One time -out left. What do we do, throw the ball over the head of all our players which other gets for an easy lay-up! Loss! That is a coaching situation. You have hours and hours of practice to go over those type plays.
So yeah i question certain aspects of his coaching. If that me me a bad fan i'm ok with it.
I agree 100% with the poster who said shooting is an issue. Ayo, Feliz, DW, KN just aren't shooting the 3 with any confidence. I was actually glad to see DW put up 3 shots from the arc, yesterday even though he came up empty. Feliz, won't even put one up for the most part.
I wish BU and the team nothing but success and a win WED. won't change my mind about some things yet, but will make my bb taste better.