Maryland 75, Illinois 66 POSTGAME

Deleted member 11228

D
This game scares me.. We can't stop winston.. MSU is going to run us off our home court.. We are feeling soft right now after the 2nd half in away and 3/4 of this past game...
And that's really all you have to worry about is Winston. Maryland is long, athletic, and versatile. MSU doesn't have many of those players. Maryland has been very hot for about a month. MSU has not.

I have never seen a stat that you outscore your opponent's bench 27-10 yet lose by 9. Somebody's +/- has just got to be awful. Can anybody find those =/- stats??

azillini1

Scottsdale
I have never seen a stat that you outscore your opponent's bench 27-10 yet lose by 9. Somebody's +/- has just got to be awful. Can anybody find those =/- stats??
We did not have an inside game tonight with our bigs, Ayo was off, and Frazier disappeared after the 2 fouls in the first half.

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
Illinois top 3 guards in terms of minutes went 2-13 from 3-pt range, and the team missed 10 FTs (4 by GB). Hard to beat a top-10 team that way.

Take deep breaths everyone.... losing sux but man it feels good to be disappointed and peed off... still know that this is and ncaa tournament team with a lot of games left o the schedule to get better and still be in contention for the bigten. Beat Mich state and stay the course. Go illini... p.s. I'll actually get to watch selection sunday this year....

We did not have an inside game tonight with our bigs, Ayo was off, and Frazier disappeared after the 2 fouls in the first half.
Kudos to Maryland coaches... they were constantly changing the D look and their pressure zone was very effective. We looked confounded for the last 25 minutes of the game. If we can't get more than 24 points in 2d half....we will generally lose. My concern is every B10 team has a recipe for us now...mix up pressure zone looks against us and we will struggle offensively.

breadman

Herndon, VA
Just another lesson for out young team to learn from. Let's hope they just move on from here.
Apparently MD needed to prove to us why they are a top ten team in the ncaa.
Because until tonight, I did not think they were.

JJE

Bethalto, IL
20200207_220633.jpg

This one stings tonight, but look how far we've come. The Big Ten is tough and Maryland is legit. We're getting there.

Deleted member 4960

D
Ayo was not good tonight 5-17, 4 bad to’s, kofi playing with fouls and can’t make shots. He is regressing, Giorgi missed 4 Ft’s and had another momentum changing turnover.

foby

Bonnaroo Land
Hopefully we face them again in the BTT Championship game. It's extremely tough to beat a good team 3 times in one season. (Forgive me if someone else posted this, didn't read all the comments here.)

I hope the team isn’t as negative as people on here. Season is far from over and we’re 1 game out of first. If we beat Michigan State on Tuesday, we stay one game out of the race and don’t have any games left against the other top two teams in the conference. Season is far from over, we just had a bad shooting night from the field and the line. Most of the other stuff was fine.

While Penn State and Rutgers will probably be favored, we shouldn’t be assuming losses against them with this team.

Griffin out rebounds GB every game. Alan had 9 tonight nice job
In what facet of the game does Giorgi outperform Griffin anymore? About zero. He used to have a lethal post-up game and was great at passing out of the post... but both have gone into the crapper since he's apparently been working on every other part of his game that he struggles with (perimeter passing, shooting, outside ball handling) and it's negatively affected his inside game it seems. Need more Griff or to run more double post sets.

What a stinger! It hurts. I will say, that team I saw in the first half looked elite. Our ceiling as a team has skyrocketed.

AG needs more PT. He had 9 boards and 5 were offensive! Extra possessions win games. Plus we need his shooting, We need it even more when TF and Ayo are off; When Ayo shoots 17 times and only hits 5 that is tough to overcome. I would love to plug AG in for close to 30 minutes. I think he would only improve and make us better as a team come tourney time. We had 14 offensive boards to Marylands 5. We missed way to many bunnies. We missed 2 on the first 3 possessions as well as some FTs. WE should hvae been up at least ten at t he half.

In what facet of the game does Giorgi outperform Griffin anymore? About zero. He used to have a lethal post-up game and was great at passing out of the post... but both have gone into the crapper since he's apparently been working on every other part of his game that he struggles with (perimeter passing, shooting, outside ball handling) and it's negatively affected his inside game it seems. Need more Griff or to run more double post sets.
They dont play the same position. AG needs more playing time but not in GBs spot. No way AG could guard the big guys down low.

hard to win a game when you go about 8 minutes with 0 points scored. that's when the terps built a big lead and we couldn't overcome our abysmal shooting and come back

AG should be a starter and even though he played well DW should come off the bench. AG is a better shooter, rebounder on both ends and spaces the floor. As long as he along with a good 6th man that scores in Feliz we will outscore most benches.

The problem the shooters that we have dealt with from shooters the last two games is just one reason i would love to see AG play 30 minutes and see he and TF gets the vast majority of our three point FG attempts. He and TF out there together make it much harder for our opposition

Last edited:
Iowa's bench scored 0 points.... Illinois 29......

We should not have lost either of these games......

Last edited:
I said it at start of season. Georgi needs to be on bench coming in for Kofi. Kipper or Alan need to start for Damonte. When him and Georgi are on the court at same time, we are playing 3 v. 5.... Why cant coach put Kipper or who ever in the world can sink a 10ft. Jump shot on the free throw line? when these teams go zone. 2 games in a row. Iowa now Maryland. Gotta fix this quick or we are about to lose quite a few in a row.

I said it at start of season. Georgi needs to be on bench coming in for Kofi. Kipper or Alan need to start for Damonte. When him and Georgi are on the court at same time, we are playing 3 v. 5.... Why cant coach put Kipper or who ever in the world can sink a 10ft. Jump shot on the free throw line? when these teams go zone. 2 games in a row. Iowa now Maryland. Gotta fix this quick or we are about to lose quite a few in a row.

As much I agree with this, I am not sure it will work out.

For one, it is rather late into the season.

Second, not sure if we hit the wrong nerve. It worked with Dre.