Maryland 75, Illinois 66 POSTGAME

The fact is we are still a young team and we were not out coached tonight. I’ve seen Maryland go zone and press almost every game this year. It was nothing new. Our lack of execution in that instance was not great coaching on their part. It was out of desperation and it happened to work. I believe as we get older we will handle those situations better. Maryland had the two best players on the court...one of them a senior point guard that’s a killer and the other is a possible lotto pick.

Anybody else notice that when Frazier was in they switched back to man d? Frazier was blanketed, but it opened a few lanes for Ayo. He was not good overall tonight though (5/17 for 16pts, 4 turnovers).

Dre was the man again... I loved the foxhole comment by Bardo.

Kofi did a nice job early of passing out of double teams. I think he's strong enough to battle through them and draw fouls though. The foul accumulation is more valuable than an open 3 for this team. He can make FTs. Keep fighting big fella.

Our zone offense needs a lot of work. Rarely are we able to get it to the free throw line where you can attack, or to the baseline or cutters. I hope we can figure this out asap because we're going to see mostly zone from here on.

Maryland is very good and got good help from non-stars. That knuckle ball 3 by ayallo kind of spelled it out for us that it wasn't going to be our night.

On to the next one.:chief:

Well, I was wrong. We were outplayed. Think I’ll go back to no predictions. I only have 1 loss left to give in the regular season. 🤞

DMW had a great start and played well. But if we are going to see this much zone, AG needs to be on the floor more. GB and DMW on the floor at the same time against the zone makes it really tough on us. Need to hit some shots.
AG was on the floor and had Wiggins at the end of the 1st when he hit the two threes because of slow defense...

AG should be a starter and even though he played well DW should come off the bench. AG is a better shooter, rebounder on both ends and spaces the floor. As long as he along with a good 6th man that scores in Feliz we will outscore most benches.

The problem the shooters that we have dealt with from shooters the last two games is just one reason i would love to see AG play 30 minutes and see he and TF gets the vast majority of our three point FG attempts. He and TF out there together make it much harder for our opposition
Disagree, he had Wiggins the last part of the 1st half and cost us points because he lost him GB missing layups or within 10ft of the rim misses plus his free throws absolutely killed us.

Illini have14 point lead
Maryland goes zone
Illini self-destruct
Somewhat concerning when one can point to one glaring factor which accounted for defeat
Night and day difference
Players looked clueless
Underwood looked clueless

2 games against Maryland =2 games of 14 point blown leads
2 second halves against Maryland=19 points & 24 points

They simply have to play through Kofi. They can’t get him the ball? I think Georgi and the floor with Kofi is a challenge? I sure wish we had last years version of Georgi on the block?
Who the heck is this Georgi everyone keeps talking about?!!!!?

GIORGI!

Deleted member 29907

D
Who the heck is this Georgi everyone keeps talking about?!!!!?

GIORGI!
Do you wonder how people are spelling things in their heads when you talk to people ? You might find it easier just to view forums as face to face discussions and not writing exhibitions.

Zone Defense will be our achilles by year end (tournament), bet we get matched against someone that plays it alot.

Kofi has got to get the ball, his recognition from double team or worse was good, interior passing to him his almost non existant (problem with recruiting bigs-if I can't get the ball, then why would I come)

Dre, straight up layup machine, please teach everyone else how to penetrate (maybe except Ayo)

Frazier seemed locked up most of the night.

Giorgi, I believe we can finally say has regressed this year with being off the block.

The team went big early, crowd go them going....just couldn't crack the zone and we fell apart. On to the next.

The fact is we are still a young team and we were not out coached tonight. I’ve seen Maryland go zone and press almost every game this year. It was nothing new. Our lack of execution in that instance was not great coaching on their part. It was out of desperation and it happened to work. I believe as we get older we will handle those situations better. Maryland had the two best players on the court...one of them a senior point guard that’s a killer and the other is a possible lotto pick.
You are wrong on the defensive side of the ball we never gave Maryland a different look

When their center is better than yours and their point guard Is better than yours you’re fighting an uphill battle

Big Jack

Decatur
I hope the team isn’t as negative as people on here. Season is far from over and we’re 1 game out of first. If we beat Michigan State on Tuesday, we stay one game out of the race and don’t have any games left against the other top two teams in the conference. Season is far from over, we just had a bad shooting night from the field and the line. Most of the other stuff was fine.

While Penn State and Rutgers will probably be favored, we shouldn’t be assuming losses against them with this team.

seriously you are so so right. This should be called the Debbie Downer Thread! So over listening to arm coaches aches complaining about Underwood. You have no idea how lucky we are and how bad things were. This loss is on the players plain and simple, they did not execute period. Hard to win against a Top 10 team when 3 starters are on bench with stupid fouls in the first half. could

We fought back then the back breaker from Giorgi. Missed free throws etc. Underwood did his job!

Last edited:
seriously you are so so right. This should be called the Debbie Downer Thread! So over listening to arm coaches aches complaining about Underwood. You have no idea how lucky we are and how bad things were. This loss is on the players plain and simple, they did not execute period. Heard to win against a Top 10 team when 3 starters are on bench with stupid fouls in the first half. could

We fought back then the back breaker from Giorgi. Missed free throws etc. Underwood did his job!

I agree... We are overachieving as a whole. teams don't go from worst to first easily, and this group is still learning how to win. Hopefully they can battle back and win the next one

Bverdec

West Palm Beach, FL
Was it me or did it seem like the first half took forever? I think I had 52 minutes by count. It's like the Maryland technical fouls seem to work in their favor and extend the game. And it's hard to hold off a team like that for an extra/extended amount of time.

Last night's game showed that the Illini needs shooters. You have to have shooters to beat a zone. A team can play great defense, but you can't win if you go 10 minutes and score 5 points.

1. I am thankful to get to watch the Illini ay in games that matter. While disappointed in the loss, especially at home, it's better than complete seasons of relative indifference (for me)
2. Regarding the zone defense, Underwood was not outcoached. Everyone who watches any amount of basketball knows how to beat a zone. But the players have to do it.
3. I don't know why we went 0 for 8minutes, but the next time we do, we will likely lose.
4. I'm not sure if it's new, but I noticed it for the first time tonight - on the high screen and roll, the roll man would come back up the lane and set a back screen on the d guarding the dribbler. Led to several layup attempts and scores.
5. On to MSU.

My observations

We struggle with uber athletic teams, Maryland had mobility and speed at the PF and C position in the second half. Lead to steals and shutting down the interior.

We lack dribblers and shooters, a press and zone hurt us.

Maryland's PG has outplayed Trent in both games, no shame he is a very good player.

We missed free throws, one of our worst games at the stripe.

Griffin riding the bench in the second half was puzzling. Wished Tevian's game was further along to warrant more time. Need that athletic 6-7 player against the Arizona and Maryland type teams.

We lost the momentum battle, key turnovers at bad moments.

Hoping for strong finish, I enjoy this team. Kofi's prescence is understated even in games with low ponts.

Illini have14 point lead
Maryland goes zone
Illini self-destruct
Somewhat concerning when one can point to one glaring factor which accounted for defeat
Night and day difference
Players looked clueless
Underwood looked clueless
Pretty much agree..I was at the game and during critical stretches Brad's rotations left us with a group that was, how you say, offensively challenged. I know he had 3 starters with 2 fouls, but to sit Trent for 13 minutes was a killer. We had trouble with the press, ball movement became stagnant, a lot of standing around, everyone looking for Ayo to bail us out etc. Another observation, I know Tev has been a hot button topic, but Brad put him in the game, Tev took a shot, and Brad jerked him out and then railed on him on the bench. If you are going to play someone, you have to let him get a lather, or don't play him. I didn't think it was a good look, a look that we saw quite a few times last year btw. Maryland has a lot of talent, and is a better team, they have a solid coach, but we were lackadaisical and sloppy and let a 14 pt lead get away. Can't miss 10 free throws at home & have to value every possession if you are going to beat a team as good as Maryland. That said, it was another game that afterwards you felt was there to win..let it get away again. We are a very entertaining team and it was a great atmosphere. I go back to the Skip Thoren, Bogie Redmon et al years. It feels good to be relevant again. We have another step to take to get to the top of the mountain.

Last night's game showed that the Illini needs shooters. You have to have shooters to beat a zone. A team can play great defense, but you can't win if you go 10 minutes and score 5 points.
Well, you sat Trent for 13 minutes in the 1st half with 2 fouls and he only got 4 shots, and Alan played half the game. I was there, and the rotations were curious imo.

The only thing I question on coaching is taking Frazier out with 2 fouls with 11minutes in the half and having him sit out the rest of the half. That’s too long especially when needed shooters. He should come back in about the 6 minute mark. Also our guards picking up cheap fouls hurts.

I thought Maryland starting getting better calls after their coach blew up, so good move by him. Bardo doesn’t have to question every call that goes the Illinis way just because he used to play here.

out of respect for the fact that these are young men trying their hardest against tough competition, I won’t list all of giorgis mistakes that really hurt us, but there were many. He appears to be in a slump. Hopefully he’ll snap out of it soon. Heusually takes good shots but they’re just not falling.

I'm probably in the minority, but I'm not disappointed with the loss, although I'm a little disappointed in how we played. Plenty of mistakes that could have made a difference. We didn't have the level of toughness we're going to need to make a deep run in the tourney, and I think these guys are still learning how to win at this level.

That said, the talent level of Maryland is elite. They have length, they're big, and they have skill. Lotta guys capable of driving the basket, or taking a 3. They played well, and got a tough road victory.

We can play better. We're in a brutal stretch that will test us, and hopefully improve us as we get closer to the post season.