Maryland 75, Illinois 66 POSTGAME

We had our chances to win and we know we can compete with the best in the conference buuuut a recurring theme in my opinion is the lack of productivity from GB. He plays with passion and energy but contributing less than I thought he would after a promising freshman season. The good and the bad seem to cancel each other out. Not sure what the problem is but if we are going to be a real threat this season he has to be a consistent big plus for us.

One of my main concerns going forward is Trent picking up early fouls. He was essentially a non factor because of the foul trouble. Could have used him against that zone. It appears we will see a lot of zone going and he could help against it. Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe he picked up two fouls against Iowa that took him out of the first half. We need Trent on the floor because he is a consistent threat to score.

I was very disappointed to see Giorgi and DMFW stop pulling the trigger from 3 after the early run.. Having those two stretching the zone from the weak spots in the 2-3 would have really helped free up Kofi in the post. Even the big fella is gonna struggle with being tripled on touches in the paint.
Trent has definitely been the recipient of some bad early touch fouls in the last two games.

I was very disappointed to see Giorgi and DMFW stop pulling the trigger from 3 after the early run.. Having those two stretching the zone from the weak spots in the 2-3 would have really helped free up Kofi in the post. Even the big fella is gonna struggle with being tripled on touches in the paint.
Trent has definitely been the recipient of some bad early touch fouls in the last two games.
Not disappointed to see Giorgi stop shooting from the arc but DMW, yes. This is exactly what we have needed from that position. So much easier to guard 4 potential scorers than 5. He doesn’t need to shoot a lot, just knock down enough shots to make the defense honest. He IS capable of this.

Not disappointed to see Giorgi stop shooting from the arc but DMW, yes. This is exactly what we have needed from that position. So much easier to guard 4 potential scorers than 5. He doesn’t need to shoot a lot, just knock down enough shots to make the defense honest. He IS capable of this.
Right now, I think DMW needs to take the three only when the other team asks him to, by leaving him wide open. It seemed to me that they began to defend him after he hit the second triple. Mission accomplished.

Very disappointing performances by Giorgi. Down 1 when he made the turnover tonight. Up 2 when he made the turnover the other night against Iowa.

My biggest issue is those 2 turnovers were so lazy.
We really need Giorgi to play like he’s capable of. I get the sense he is rushing and playing to fast. Maybe he is not as comfortable not being in the post when Kofi is in the game. Wish we had another option besides Kipper ( Holyfield would have been nice to have) when Giorgi is off his game. Having said that I think Giorgi will get it turned around as we have one of the best big man coaches in college basketball (Antigua)

Does anyone think that DW should have been on Cowan

It is tough for me to admit how good Cowen is. I'm not sure what would work on him, potentially running different players (Ayo, Trent, DW). The good news is Curbello is that type of player.

I would also prefer his mid range floaters vs. 3's but he is good at both.

It is tough for me to admit how good Cowen is. I'm not sure what would work on him, potentially running different players (Ayo, Trent, DW). The good news is Curbello is that type of player.
Even better news: Cowan is a senior.

Love Damonte's defense, but Cowan is about as quick a player off the dribble as you will see. Damonte couldn't stay with him. Of course, not many players can stay with him.
Like the Cavs putting Craig Ehlo on MJ

As I say IRL all the time...

1. Good teams win close games.
2. Good teams win on the road.
3. Great teams beat other great teams.

We've checked off 1 & 2. We haven't consistently (say 50% success rate) proven #3 yet. We're good, not great.

Was I the only one really disappointed when DMFW hit his first 3? I was REALLY proud of the fact that I was personally tied with him for scoring in 2020. Now he's crushing me.

On a more serious note...I've noticed that one of the adjustments opposing teams are making much more effectively now is playing off of the perimeter so they're in better position to double (or triple) team Kofi when he gets the ball. I'm sure it's been being done for a while but it was very obvious in both the IA and MD games. We might just not have the guns from outside to fix that this year, but hopefully Kofi sticks around and Hutch/Grandison/Miller upgrade our perimeter scoring and open things up for Kofi.

As others have said, we're a year ahead of schedule and as depressing as these last 2 games were, if you had asked me in October I'd be thrilled to be where we are right now.

When our guards ( Ayo, Trent, Dre) are 2/13 from three against a zone we will be in trouble. Rest of team 6/9 From 3 not a shooting problem unless we want them to take more shots. Alan and DaMonte were the only ones with good shooting nights overall. We held them to 36% shooting in the second half and were out scored by 11.

We lack creativity on offense. We are a bad passing team. The second point isn't easy to fix, but it's something to focus on and isn't impossible to improve upon midseason.

I've been extremely impressed by BU's willingness to change. Honestly, it's my favorite quality about him. As others have pointed out, we're a good team, but we need to start answering what other teams are throwing at us and we don't have to have a great zone offense for this to work, we just need to understand how to attack it and the right personnel to have in.

Side note: I was at brickhouse by Wrigley for the game and Damonte drove very early in the game. Looked like he was going to attempt a layup. There was a collective buildup ready to burst if he shto and scored. He passed and it died away. Then out of no where he hits that first three and it's electric in the bar. Happy he could hit two in a game. If he can consistently score 8ish pts for us next year, he'll probably play 25+ mpg.

We lack creativity on offense. We are a bad passing team. The second point isn't easy to fix, but it's something to focus on and isn't impossible to improve upon midseason.

I've been extremely impressed by BU's willingness to change. Honestly, it's my favorite quality about him. As others have pointed out, we're a good team, but we need to start answering what other teams are throwing at us and we don't have to have a great zone offense for this to work, we just need to understand how to attack it and the right personnel to have in.

Side note: I was at brickhouse by Wrigley for the game and Damonte drove very early in the game. Looked like he was going to attempt a layup. There was a collective buildup ready to burst if he shto and scored. He passed and it died away. Then out of no where he hits that first three and it's electric in the bar. Happy he could hit two in a game. If he can consistently score 8ish pts for us next year, he'll probably play 25+ mpg.
I have said all year if teams are going to leave Damonte wide open, he has to shoot. Maryland left him so wide open, he could take his time and make shots. But after that, he did not look at the basket. He did not force it, which was good, but he only forced Maryland to get a little closer...not guard him honestly.