Maryland 92, Illinois 91 OT POSTGAME

Deleted member 29907

D
Can we have one game that doesn't come down to the refs - yes - we should have never gotten into such a hole - but seriously if you're not going to call the moving pick 1 minute before that - you don't call that.

IlliniRon

Illini Basketball Fan Forever
Ft Worth, Texas
That was tough, gotta work on getting the ball in play when you have it won. Hard to blame Alstork individually, since he was the defensive stopper in the second half. Tough way to lose at the end.

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
Do refs not get how this works? It is not WHEN the foul happened...it is WHEN it is called...it was called with no time left...it isn't when it happens it is when the ref gets his hand up...good lord.

Is this part of the rulebook?

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
giphy.gif

Just disappointed in the bonehead mistakes we make. We need to learn to close games out. Good job fighting back, but we need to close these out. That's 2 straight B1G games where we can't close it out. Enough with the stupid mistakes. Some of the players making these mistakes are upperclassmen too.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Feels like being a Cubs fan every year before 2016. "Wait till next year."

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

Very pleased with the way they fought back in the second half. If they would have played that tough in the first half we might have won by 20.

Let's win the next one!

So... Underwood called a timeout to get the ball inbounds and they throw it away....I just can't even

It was a foul on Mark, but how can you call a phantom and one earlier? An OT game and you call at best a touch call?

Great effort in second half. A really painful way to lose. A inbounds at the end of regulation would have ended it. A foul call with less than a second in OT. Amazingly painful. Hopefully the team found something in the second half.

Jester87

Austin, TX
I can't watch anymore Illinois games for a while. This game was too much of a gut punch.

FinalFour88

Charlotte, NC
Great comeback, but it's time to start winning games.

Why did Underwood use his last timeout coming off of a replay review, which is essentially a timeout?

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
If there was one, it was DaMonte with the Trubisky deep ball with 4 seconds left that sailed over everyone. There were lots of individual things - the Lucas missed free throw near the end, the Kipper semi-box out on the tip in at the end of regulation, etc.

It takes effort to lose a game that you're winning by 2 with 4.6 seconds left.

It also takes effort to get a game into overtime that you're losing by 22 in the second half.

Last edited by a moderator:

JFGsCoffeeMug

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago
We are finding ways to lose these games. But we are also getting closer to where we need to be. I'm seeing the improvement. This team can be good this season.

If we inbounds that last play in regulation, even to the corner which would have been trapped, we win. There was less then 5 seconds so we could have sat in the corner or been fouled.

If we convert just ONE of those last 3-4 steals/turnovers at the end of regulation then we win. Tejon and Leron make the free throws. We win.

Someone said it....freshman going to freshman.

Great effort and I still believe in this staff and system. I'm excited about the program again.

Mark definitely fouled on that last play, but the and 1 by Cowan earlier was complete garbage. But none of it matters if the guys execute and get the ball in

Deleted member 236589

D
Winning is about talent, effort and paying attention to details.

The little things killed us in consecutive close losses. Turnovers, missing free throws and a lack of execution late.

If they get the ball in, they win. If they box out, they win. If they make free throws, they win......

I'm not disheartened by this at all. The heart and effort in the second half was outstanding. Do that for 40 minutes now.

They'll be fine.